Betty Boop is Back
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Betty Boop is Back

Betty Boop is Back

My TW is finally reassembled and back on the trail after munching it's top end in Moab. Thanks to the enormous generosity of TW-Brian and elime my '03 Betty Boop got a make-over with a reconditioned head and a larger high compression Wiseco piston fit in a 1 mm over-sized old-style cylinder. Tony seems to do good work 'cause Betty sure wanted to romp with greater authority on a quick test ride yesterday. The noted performance improvement may be due to a good valve grind and better, higher compression. Maybe forged piston is lighter? Or crisper air/fuel metering? Anyways bike seems to want to rev up quicker and put out more power in mid to upper range. I may have to adapt my riding style to accommodate as historically I typically played in the torquey bottom end. We shall see. Snowed last night up high, and is still rainy here at 5,200 ft. Will change oil and if rain stops I shall take Brian's loaned valve compression tool to the post office then go get muddy. Vroom!
    Thanks to all for their support and best wishes. Special thanks to Mel and Borneo for loaning me their TWs to get a few more days of riding in while at the Moab group ride. I felt honored by their trust since I had a proven record of recently blowing up Betty twice. And of course tremendous gratitude for the used parts and guidance from Brian and Tony. Tony was so apprehensive that I be pleased with his piston/cylinder pair that he didn't want me to pay until satisfied. What a guy! Great Forum, even better members...thanks.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Congratulations Fred, it's great to hear that you are back in the saddle again!
    admiral likes this.

What a wonderful spirit that TW riders have. Sure makes a person smile.
    HKLBRY, admiral and TWilight like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

YEAH !!!!!!! Betty is alive and well. Awesome to hear Fred. Hope the weather will cooperate and you can give her a good break in.- Glenn

P.S.- YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TWilight likes this.
    "Right's right -even if nobody's doing it and wrong's wrong -even if everybody's doing it"

Well done to all concerned (and I mean that) – good to see that Fred has the support he needed, (braces aside) when he and Betty needed it the most.

Fred – may you have many (oil filled) and happy memories on her – (and this time, if she fails you, you’ll know who to blame) ……..
    admiral and TWilight like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Fred, you could load the old girl up and go to the wrench and ride next weekend. Good time to return the tool, swap parts and get caught up with the b.s.
    admiral and TWilight like this.

Fred,

So glad you got Betty Boop up and running.beer.gif Huge kudo's to TW-Brian and elime, almost makes me tear up reading about the success! Almost!fpalm.gif

I feel bad the head I sent you was defect and hope I didn't wreck it somehow before sending it your way. It sure didn't last long. Did both your original head and my replacement have the same fault/problem? If so, any idea what it could have been on them?

Anyway, so glad you're back up. It was so great Borneo and Mel loaned their TW's to you, but I know you probably had a weird feeling of what had happened to yours. If anything, your gaining a ton of engine repair/replace experience.

Time to zip up the jacket, throw a leg over the saddle, and head on down the trail.

Take Care
    Fred, TWilight and Gerry like this.

Not fault of admiral's head. Loose adjuster nut on intake caused problem, not stripped exhaust cover bolt and low oil level I think. I didn't tighten things up enough after playing with Gerry's gift of a valve adjusting tool.
    TWilight likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Mel
    Fred,
    I knew with rusty nuts the size of yours, Betty Boop was destined to run. Glad to hear you are on the road again. I road that white TW of mine the other day, and couldn't tell you had even been on it!
    Mel
    TWilight and DonBenito like this.

Glad your fixed and riding again. Just in time for Summer....
    TWilight and plumbstraight like this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links