Making my Cyclerack and Versapacks work-input needed
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Making my Cyclerack and Versapacks work-input needed

Making my Cyclerack and Versapacks work-input needed

TW200j.jpgWell, my cyclerack arrived today and I installed it. Easy job. I then tooled around with my Versapacks horse saddlebags a couple different ways to see how I can best make them work. This is what I came up with. This plus some heavy duty zip ties in a couple places should work but I still have 2 issues to contend with: 1) the proximity of the right side bag to the exhaust, and 2) the proximity of the left side bag to the rear tire. Someone mentioned that there were extensions available for the cyclerack to support saddlebags/panniers and keep them away from the exhaust, etc. Does anyone have a link to where I can find them? I did find the trick someone shared about putting plastic buckets inside the saddlebags to improve their look/function. Nice idea.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

TWilight and SickPuppy76 like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

You have a few choices.

1. Buy the Cycleracks supports. About $70, this a nice simple setup, easy to install and remove without tools and lighter weight than the next option.
    2. Buy the Tinman Tim pannier supports, I think they are about $110 or so, these are heavier and require tools to install and remove.
    3. Make or have someone make custom supports, cost and weight unknown.

I chose the Cycleracks for simplicity, cost and overall weight. But many people have chosen Tinman Tims setup for their own reasons.

As for keeping the bags nice and squared up, I made some wooden containers out of 1/4 sanded plywood that slip in and out of the bags to square them up, I then made notches in the top of on and the bottom of the other and I can nest them together to make a wooden motorcycle stand or a seat if I chose. I will be posting a thread on that project in a few days.

Dan
    Last edited by HKLBRY; 04-24-2015 at 11:36 PM.
    TWilight and centralwarider like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would think a small plastic waste container designed for the bathroom would be perfect. I would try to find a good name brand like Rubbermaid. Should the bike fall, you want the container/sleeve to give, not crack. Years ago, I met a fellow that was selling a complete touring set-up designed around small Rubbermaid trash containers. The system looked very nice, strong and functional. Gerry
    SickPuppy76 and admiral like this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by SickPuppy76 View Post
    TW200j.jpgWell, my cyclerack arrived today and I installed it. Easy job. I then tooled around with my Versapacks horse saddlebags a couple different ways to see how I can best make them work. This is what I came up with. This plus some heavy duty zip ties in a couple places should work but I still have 2 issues to contend with: 1) the proximity of the right side bag to the exhaust, and 2) the proximity of the left side bag to the rear tire. Someone mentioned that there were extensions available for the cyclerack to support saddlebags/panniers and keep them away from the exhaust, etc. Does anyone have a link to where I can find them? I did find the trick someone shared about putting plastic buckets inside the saddlebags to improve their look/function. Nice idea.
    Here are some idea's for you to ponder and keep you awake at night thinking about!

I made my saddle bag supports. Bought some rod, measured, cut, heated with a torch and bent. Doesn't look professional, but hey, they're hidden under the saddle bags.

I was worried about placement as well and put them farther back on the rack.

I use empty kitty litter containers for saddle bag inserts. Gives you the visual of what Gerry mentioned. For me they don't need to protect anything, are light weight, and flexible. And they are reasonably cheap to replace if damaged beyond usefulness.

Saddle bags and supports can be added and removed within a couple minutes.

Good luck and take care.

Don't get distracted by the tire chains, that's for another season

I prefer kitty diggin's They're the best!

These bags look better when viewed through the dust.

And in action from last weekend. Been using them for a couple years now.

That last picture makes me want to ride. Bad.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD

I really like my tin man Tim pannier support. They are tool less too if you use the knobs he provides. They are a little heavy but built very sturdy. If you plan on going off road s lot they are a good option as they will easily survive a drop. My girlfriend has dropped hers hard a few times and the supports have held up perfect.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Whatever supports you choose, you should definitely use supports. There was a guy here in Oregon not long ago who wrecked and died because his saddle bags got caught in the rear of his ride and took him down. Keep 'em out of that area at all costs and don't have any loose straps dangling around.
    SickPuppy76 likes this.

About 10 minutes ago I completed my online order from cycleracks.com for new bag supports. My new MadDog/Coleman seat pad just came today too.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2005 Buick Rainier AWD

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I made my saddle bag supports. Bought some rod, measured, cut, heated with a torch and bent.
    Saddle bags and supports can be added and removed within a couple minutes.

Don't get distracted by the tire chains, that's for another season
    Those look great. You should go into production. It almost made me wish I got the cycleracks.
    admiral and Gerry like this.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links