Toting your stuff...
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Toting your stuff...

Toting your stuff...

My back rack is a tiny little thing. I would like to use it for snacks and drinks in my lunch kit when we're riding the trails camping this summer. How do y'all attach stuff to your racks? (Pics as well as descriptions would be great!)

Yes, I noticed your rack such as it is in your first picture. It's basically a small plate above the stock fender pad. There are little attachment points you can use to hook bungie cords to under the rear fender. However, the setup you have will only tolerate a couple of pounds on rough trails or you will bend you subframe. (I have personal experience). Yamaha makes a rack, which looks OK, but unfortunately has the same poundage limitations. Manracks makes strong smaller racks which are rather nice...mine is currently living on Hoot's bike. Welcome to ManRacks What looks like a vast majority here prefer the Cyclerack. http://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail/...3/Default.aspx And I currently have a full Happy Trail setup, top rack and pannier racks. Happy Trails Tail Rack<br>Yamaha TW200 - Adventure-Proven Motorcycle Gear and Aluminum Panniers There are also many other options, the secret in selecting a rack is to look to how it mounts. If it mounts only to the subframe, then it will carry very little in terms of weight.
    mudbug, SanDue and HKLBRY like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

You can see my current setup in Fred's video at around the 50 second mark.

mudbug and SanDue like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Here is my Man Rack Utility with Roto Pax plate currently as mounted on Hoot's bike.

Attachment 16838Attachment 16839

* the Roto Pax tower is easily removable with two bolts from the bottom, or the racks can be purchased without the plate.
    mudbug likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I have found that a well fitting back pack is better than mounting stuff to my TW200. The TW is already heavy enough to have to pick up or maneuver. Having the weight on me, allows me to control the weight easily. I use my rack to strap down a light jacket or other bulky, but otherwise light items. Also, stuff gets beat to hell and back strapped to the bike compared to my backpack. My lunch, for example, stays in good shape compared to the bouncing it gets in the back pack. Even cans of carbonated beverage don't get all shook up in a pack compared to a rack.

I have a manrack installed. It's big enough to handle anything I would wish.

I have the cycleracks and like it. Use it to carry my 1 gallon rotax fuel tank when I need it. I also only put light weight stuff on my rack and use a backpack. like to have my personal stuff with me when I get off bike and explore. My Yamaha oem rack broke when had my 1 1/2 koplin fuel tank on it and it just too light weight and not nearly as sturdy as the cyclesracks. I've heard of some having trouble putting on the cycleracks, mine fit easily.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

My first rack was the Borrego and now use a cyclerack. The Borrego is now trade material. The cyclerack puts no weight on the subframe.
    mudbug, SanDue and Ebbanflood like this.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and reviews. Y'all definitely don't disappoint with the feedback!

I cannot agree with NoHair McHair on the backpack idea...for a woman. It may work for NoHair McHair, but I would NOT advise that idea for a 100 lb, woman.
    Actually you can go ahead and rule it out for this fully counter-balanced 217 pound male too.

Wish I'd had a Doctor's note back when I ordered that full pannier set from Metal Mule in the UK for the Scrambler...might have helped smoothing the project with Miss Margaret.
    Last edited by Borneo; 04-27-2015 at 01:42 PM.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Honey...Doctor TWilight says I should have custom seats on all my motorcycles. He's worried about back strain. He says expense be dambed when it comes to your health. So, I need to borrow your credit card...OK honey?

(I'm not allowed to have a credit card...cash and debit only...long story.)
    TWilight, mudbug, grewen and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links