Max Sustained Cruising Speed on the TW?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Max Sustained Cruising Speed on the TW?

Max Sustained Cruising Speed on the TW?

What might it be, with factory sprockets?

Sure, it'll do 55-60. Will it HOLD that speed?

It makes a difference. I live in a small city in the Rockies...there are two kinds of roads going out of town. Highways, with 75-mph speed limits; and fire trails.

There are plenty of worthwhile trails about - but they often take 30 or more miles of highway to get to them. Trailering this ride isn't an option right now.

So...would I hurt it running it at 55 or so for sustained periods? Can I over-rev the thing (a 2014) or is there a rev limiter?
    TWilight and SanDue like this.

They will do 55 all day long, no prob.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I've run 60-65 for a few hours on a trip to Letchworth. 70-75 once or twice with a good wind at my back.
    TWilight, dette and SanDue like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have a 55 tooth rear sprocket and will do 60 mph endlessly. Just make sure the oil is full and chain well lubed. Get a small, cheap tachometer. Redline is 9,500 rpm.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Get a small, cheap tachometer. Redline is 9,500 rpm.
    Is there any rev. limiter or is the lack of hp the only limitation?
    TWilight likes this.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Now that mine has 1000+ miles and after Moab is "broken in", I find 55-60 pretty comfortable on state highways....the first 500 miles or so, not so much....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Sure, it'll do 55-60. Will it HOLD that speed?

It makes a difference. I live in a small city in the Rockies...there are two kinds of roads going out of town. Highways, with 75-mph speed limits; and fire trails.
    I live at 5700 feet. My 2010 has a 13 tooth front for a little more power at this altitude. I can go 65, but only downhill. If I'm going up a gentle hill, 55 is about it. If I'm going up the pass to 8300, I have to downshift to 4th and can only go 45.
    There is no way I would try to mix it up with 75 mph traffic on a busy Interstate.

Hurting the engine is not the problem, hurting yourself because you can't get out of the way is. At the higher altitudes of Colorado, fire trails and back roads are the only thing I would tackle. I lived there for 20 years in C. Springs and Aspen, and I would want a MINIMUM of a 250cc bike if I still lived there and COULD NOT trailer the bike. You have already lost a third of your power by 8,000 feet.

Sorry to rain on your parade....given your needs, it is not the right bike for you.
    TWilight, Hoot Gibson and SanDue like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    First, there is no rev limiter. Yes, it will do the speeds everyone above has posted, and good tips on making sure it is full of oil, and the chain well lubed.

But, the answer to JustPassinThru's issue is....dual sprockets. Remove the OEM 50 tooth rear sprocket. Install a set-up of Dual sprockets on the rear. Outer one....a 44 to 47 tooth sprocket, which will lower the engine RPMs for highway use...to get to the trails. Inner sprocket should be a 55 tooth, to give better gearing for off-road riding.

Others on here have already done this, and it works. Not hard to change the chain from one sprocket to the next, once at the trailhead.

I mean...Come On Man !
    Interesting idea.

What about issues about the chain sprockets not being directly in line? Sure, it works on a bicycle. Power and speed are a little lower.

Should the highway sprocket be directly in line and the off-road sprocket be offset? How's a quick way to change, without loosening the axle and re-tensioning the chain?

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Sorry to rain on your parade....given your needs, it is not the right bike for you.
    Ah. Those are only some of my needs.

The other, is a quick hop-on-and-go gofer ride in town. Something not so pretty, so that when (not if) it gets knocked over the damages aren't so high. A few years back in another town I had a TU250 for the same purpose - get on and go to go check the mail or get to work a mile away; without all the muscle strain and warmup issues of getting my big BMW out.

Appreciate the honesty; but so far it's worked...okay. Had to move a pickup truck to Helena, about 150 miles away...rather than the hassle of recruiting someone to drive it or my other vehicle, I opted to throw the TW in the back and ride home. Traffic (over a fer-chrissake MOUNTAIN PASS!) was impatient (I was doing about 40 in 4th gear) but by watching it and kissing the white line I was able to stay out of harm's way.

That was really the reason for my concern on this...that trip took me three hours; when I could I was on frontage roads or side roads, but it involved 20 miles on Interstates (not a good idea) and forty more climbing a mountain pass on a busy state highway. My wrench at the Yamaha dealership warned me that the engine might not be up to sustained high speed/RPMs and that's part of why I'm asking.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Now that mine has 1000+ miles and after Moab is "broken in", I find 55-60 pretty comfortable on state highways....the first 500 miles or so, not so much....
    Did it get smoother or did you get used to it? Or are the knobbies all smoothed off?
    TWilight and dette like this.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links