Mine didn't come with a smile; yet.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Mine didn't come with a smile; yet.

Mine didn't come with a smile; yet.

Well, I did it again.

I get something in my head and get all excited about it and go and make a ???poor??? decision.

I had been dealing with this guy on his 1996 TW. He said all stock and and great shape. Just a bit of hand grip rubbed off. New tires, new sprockets and chain, all done last year. Bad battery (wanted $1,500 if he had to have someone replace battery. Said I'd do it. Thought that that was all that was wrong)

He sent on far off picture. He had had it since it was 2 years old. Bought from a lady and just used to check crops. 7,000 miles.

Anxious, and the only one I could find in that range, and trusting in his assessment, I said to consider sold. Had to wait for 2 weeks for bad weather so he could get out of the field and meet me half way. $1,250. (what happened to the days of $200-$400 bikes)

I get there and see it. It is filthy. I mean filthy. Fork tube boots torn out and leaking all over. Engine covered in...just yuk.

I can fix it. Besides, I gave my word. I took it home.

Some degreaser and half hour with power washer, I am actually starting to like the goofy graphics. This is acually pretty sharp! Let's see how it rides.

First impressions later, as I really did not get enough seat time to completely evaluate. Don't think I got out of 2nd gear.

Set it on it's side to take a picture, I see smoke. Thinking that it was steam from water burning off, I look a bit closer. It is oil! Oil!

Discouraged, but holding head somewhat high still because not only do I own the bike, but I also own this, yet again, dumb decision.

Looking around this morning, I feel slightly better about it as I found this...

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...placement.html

Hat's off to you B-dub.

At least the whole engine does not need to come out. yeeeaaaah.

But I have a question. He lists a part number for the base gasket; 5vc-11351-10-00.

While talking to the nice lady at the place he suggests, I ask her to verify that gasket for my year. She comes up with a 5vc-11351-01-00, and there is about a $10 price difference.

Were these engines pretty much identical throughout the years and the first number is the "better" gasket? Is this the difference, or did they change other things and therefor, should I look all parts referenced in that thread by year?

Thank you in advance for you input.

Here is my new to me leaking bebooper...

I have the horn. It is just missing the nut and I didn't want it swinging. Also have the missing piece from swing arm decal. Washer blew it off. Any ideas on what adhesive to use to put it back on?

Holding out optimism that I can fix this. And hey, this now gives me an excuse to paint the exhaust while it's off. Will get to the fork seals later.

Thank you, Jeff.
    Fred likes this.

I just went through about same thing last week when I picked up my 90. He was asking 1500 said it was in great shape, rebuilt carb, new front sprocket (not installed) blah blah blah. I get there and although mine wasn't filthy. The chain and sprockets were toast!! No battery, would not run without choke. Oil way over serviced, petcock leaking. Thought to myself this is excellent condition!! So he was asking same 1500, offered 1000. and he took it. That day got on the net and got everything coming. Chain and sprockets done, oil/filter changed, actually engine looks great inside. Swapped carb out for $24 chinese/ebay carb. New plug, air filter. All I have left is battery and petcock, which are in route. It runs great down the road now. Just have the nasty fuel leak at petcock and dim lights

I too had my doubts like you, but these things have been made for years and they are common yamaha, so parts are easy and cheap to find. If you can tinker, I think you will be happy in the end. I can tell you putting around town, everyone looks at it wondering WTF is that. Even had a guy ask me if he could take a picture of it LOL.

Here is a link to a parts fiche for you bike, comes in handy! and it lists 5VC-11351-01-00 which replaced a 4CS-11351-00-00 which they list at only 6.27, gotta love dealer markup

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oemp...6-tw200h-parts
    Last edited by KeysRyder; 05-15-2015 at 10:19 AM.
    jeffrolives likes this.

Hi Jeff,

No need to beat yourself up for this purchase. I'd say you got a pretty fair deal on a TW that cleaned up real nice.

Any year base gasket will fit. TW's in the 2005-06 range seemed to be prone to base gasket leaks and I understand that Yamaha has since improved these base gaskets. To be safe I would just order one for a 2010+ TW. It will fit just fine.

A leaking base gasket should not cause smoke, unless the oil drips onto a hot head pipe which may have happened when you laid the bike on it side. Before tearing into replacing the base gasket, I would clean up the base of the cylinder area, change the oil in the bike, and then ride it some to see how bad the leak really is. It may be something that you just decide to live with for a while.

I kinda like that color scheme also ,

Brian

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Can’t help you at all with base gaskets – haven’t had to go there - (yet) ……..

First impressions – funky paint job. Original, but “funky”.

I suspect you’ll find a few other bits as you dig deeper – but hey, everyone needs a “project”. Price sounds about right even given the condition – would have been a lot more over here.

Well done for rescuing her ……..

Does the speedo work ?
    jeffrolives likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

...and to add to what TW-Brian has already mentioned, take a close up picture of the leak if found.

Signed
    A base gasket replacer.

Away from keyboard.

Second cleaning and found oil too high. Drained out a bit, but I now know why.

Right hand ( clutch?) Cover leaking at top. Just behind rt hand jug stud I suspected, and crankcase? pressure blowing oil up and out, onto exhaust. As far up as spark plug boot. Hench, smoke.

Need that gasket. Does anyone think inner seals too?

But found not much harm to anything but grass, and maybe pantleg.

Got to play.

I did smile.
    TW-Brian likes this.

Junior Member Rockabillyslapmatt's Avatar
    I got lucky with mine, guy wanted $1600 for an 87 with 10k on the clock, ended up buying for $1300. Said rebuilt carb forks etc. Thing looks brand spanking new, no oil leaks, motor looks pristine. I'm quite a lucky guy by the looks of it.
    jeffrolives likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockabillyslapmatt View Post
    I got lucky with mine, guy wanted $1600 for an 87 with 10k on the clock, ended up buying for $1300. Said rebuilt carb forks etc. Thing looks brand spanking new, no oil leaks, motor looks pristine. I'm quite a lucky guy by the looks of it.

Pictures or it didn't happen....
    Purple likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Back again on mobile

I don't smile.

This smile's widening.
    GTG likes this.

GTG
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrolives View Post
    Back again on mobile

I don't smile.

This smile's widening.
    Yeah, your cheeks are gonna hurt.
    jeffrolives likes this.