Hmmm, decisions, decisions...looking for advice
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Hmmm, decisions, decisions...looking for advice

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...looking for advice

OK, been reading up a lot on the TW's and want to get one. Been doing some scrounging and have come up with two good possibilities locally. Even so, I have a few questions. I want to get a TW in decent shape, low miles, and would like to add a nice rack on the back, Clarke Tank, and heated grips. Once you ride with heated grips it's nearly impossible not to have them in the northern climates.

Here's what I've scrounged:
    1. 2000 model with under 500 miles, like new, all stock and has OEM rack (that I'd probably sell) $2k obo

2. 1993 model with under 3k miles, a little surface rust here and there, no farkles at all, for $1200 obo.

I've been thinking I'd like a 1988-2000 model to have the kickstart already installed. Reading through some forums I see CDI units fail and are hard to come by for the 88-2000 models (perhaps that was just a snapshot in time and they are easily found now). I know the 87 models had a lot of CDI failures but I was reading through some threads where the 88-00 are failing now and parts are hard to find and expensive. Are they still hard to find?

I also have a question about the charging circuits. Can the charging system output supply enough electricity to run the headlight, taillight, charge the battery and also the heated grips? The ones I've used on 2 BMW bikes are the Symtec 36w units. Perhaps I'd need to add a switch to turn off the headlight & taillight for when using the heated grips. I haven't found the charging circuit output for the different models.

Would I be better to look for an 2001-15 for the newer charging circuit, newer CDI, then add the kickstart for ~$300?

Thanks in advance for any advice. You folks are a helpful bunch so I know you'll have advice and some humor too.

Thanks,
    Jay Dub
    TWilight likes this.
    Jay Dub

Current rides:
    '01 TW200 bone stock
    '06 Honda CRF230F lighted & plated.(KISS where less is more)
    '01 BMW R1100RL with Russell "Day Long" saddle, Aeroflow screen, heated grips, throttle lock, modulating headlight & tail light.

Previous rides:
    '87 BMW K100LT, '03 Honda XR650L, '95 Honda XLR250R "Baja," '71 BMW R60/5, '81 Honda CM400C "Custom," '82 Honda ATC 185S, '79 CR125 Elsinore, '79 KE175,
    various others I don't remember the models

rbm
    IMO, I'd look for a 2001+ for the electrical system if you want heated grips. I have an '05 and added grips and an LED headilgit to free up some amperage for the grips and heated jacket liner. The kicker will cost you a little over $200 from Bay Area.

I'm on a '98 - and converted the headlight and tail light to LED to free up some amps - but I think the bike would still struggle with heated grips

I'd say go with rbm's suggestion - it's a lot easier to add the kickstarter rather than fart about with the older style 36w electrical system. Wouldn't worry about the CDI - only the '87's are prone to fail - and replacements are available for $150 if you get unlucky on a newer model

The only other major difference between pre-2000 and post 2000 is the introduction of a CV carb - the new ones are smaller and a bit fiddly but set-up correctly and they're OK
    jtomelliott49 and TWilight like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

The 2000 that was "like showroom new" turned out to not be quite so showroom. Not at all really so I passed on it. I'll look at the 93' soon just because of price, otherwise I'll try to look for an early 2000's model. I've got to keep the BMW rider image going....what's the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle?

THE RIDER!

Jay Dub
    Bagger likes this.
    Jay Dub

Current rides:
    '01 TW200 bone stock
    '01 BMW R1100RL with Russell "Day Long" saddle, Aeroflow screen, heated grips, throttle lock, modulating headlight & tail light.

Previous rides:
    '87 BMW K100LT, '03 Honda XR650L, '95 Honda XLR250R "Baja," '71 BMW R60/5, '81 Honda CM400C "Custom," '82 Honda ATC 185S, '79 CR125 Elsinore, '79 KE175,

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydub View Post
    ....what's the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle?

THE RIDER!

Jay Dub
    LOL We have to be. BMW thinks their parts are all made of gold

Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    LOL We have to be. BMW thinks their parts are all made of gold
    Yes, that's why we have the alternative parts list handy to use car parts on the bike where we can. Of course I ride older BMW bikes and don't worry about oem parts if I don't need to. My bike has a Purolator car oil filter that meets the same specs as oem, autolite spark plugs, etc.
    Jay Dub

Current rides:
    '01 TW200 bone stock

Previous rides:

I would go look at a 2015 if I was you. Color scheme is awesome and dealers are always glad to have someone take a slow moving TW off their hands. Ergo you can get a really good deal from a dealer that only sells these oddball bikes because he has to.

OR you could wait for the 2016 to come out! It's going to be fuel injected! ....yeah right

Having ridden big heavy dirt bikes with no electric start, and remembering all those times I cursed those bikes for not having one, I just do not understand the enamoration some have for a kick start on this bike. I can jump/push start it by myself, up hill, both ways, bare foot, in the snow.
    Peterb likes this.

check the classifieds on here too...a lot of us see bikes for sale and post them. One guy in the UP has a newer model for sale
    2005 Tdub

If there's something up here in the UP you want me to scope out for you let me know. I was looking for over a year and finally settled on the 2002 with 770 miles, for $2400 that you see in my icon. I let a couple of good deals get away.

I think this is hte one Tuber is talking about....https://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-cl...-michigan.html

2006. Already has the kick start installed

Here's one that I was looking at. It's down state. I think this is the second listing for it so the guy might be willing to accept less.

http://nmi.craigslist.org/mcy/4999532275.html
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 05-19-2015 at 04:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links