Jets vs. MPG
Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By phelonius

Thread: Jets vs. MPG

Jets vs. MPG

After roaming around the tech section for a while I decided that I would go ahead and "decalifornia" my cali dub. Plugged and removed the extras and went up from the California 125 jet up to the often recommended 130. Took it out for a good shake down run today. 93 miles of rock, gravel, sand, and around a 7000 foot elevation change all in the Parashant national monument area. (Beautiful day, amazing country, if your ever in the Mesquite NV area drop me a note and I'll take you out there.)
    Anyway seat of the pants impression was, as expected, an improvement mostly at higher revs and more towards full throttle. Seemed that bike was pulling hills with just opening up the throttle where as before I was down shifting. Weather was close to the same as when I ran these same hills 2 weeks ago. The down side is that there really isn't a free lunch here. Over all mileage 2 weeks ago running the bike stock was 75.5 MPG. Over all mileage today was 66.9 MPG. Bigger hole = more gas, i get it. but that is a bigger drop than I expected. As small as the our tanks are i hate to give up those ~15 miles. So what do you think is that a normal MPG drop?

You gave up less than ten MPG for a substantially better running engine. Quitcherbitchin.
    Phelonius

LOL I do agree with Phelonius in principle at least. A better running bike is definitely worth a couple mpg. Me personally? I'm ready for fuel injection! I keep looking at the DR650, but then look at the WRR's fuel injection and go back to it. Then I look at the DR650's torque monster motor and legendary durability (when sorted) and go back to it, then at the WRR's sweet suspension in bone-stock trim and go back to that. It never ends I just want a damn new bike already!

When it comes to economy vs. performance, I'll pretty much always choose performance (unless there is an adverse effect on reliability or durability). Tires and brakes, for example...
    Last edited by kj7687; 05-17-2015 at 04:05 AM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sponge, now you need a Clarke tank with an extra gallon, that's all.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    LOL I do agree with Phelonius in principle at least. A better running bike is definitely worth a couple mpg. Me personally? I'm ready for fuel injection! I keep looking at the DR650, but then look at the WRR's fuel injection and go back to it. Then I look at the DR650's torque monster motor and legendary durability (when sorted) and go back to it, then at the WRR's sweet suspension in bone-stock trim and go back to that. It never ends I just want a damn new bike already!

When it comes to economy vs. performance, I'll pretty much always choose performance (unless there is an adverse effect on reliability or durability). Tires and brakes, for example...

that is the way I am leaning. I have a 2013 Zuma scooter with fuel injection. Must say it is amazing. Touch the button and go, no muss no fuss. best scooter I have ever ridden, and i did assembly and mechanical for a local dealer. so i rode around 100 of them. it averages 133 MPG. I have been looking at that injection system wondering if it could be adapted to other bikes. the 50cc is small but there is a 125 version. hmm...

As to the title of this thread, where is the home court for the MPGs? Are they not over matched against the Jets?
    Phelonius

Sponosred Links