Recommendations for a textile jacket with large vent panels/windows?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Recommendations for a textile jacket with large vent panels/windows?

Recommendations for a textile jacket with large vent panels/windows?

After riding through Tour de Forest, i went through the process of taking off my mesh jacket to put my rain jacket on underneath when it got cold, and put my mesh jacket back on. Then when I overheated, I had to pull over again, take off my mesh jacket, then my rain jacket, then put my mesh jacket back on. What a hassle. My body couldn't find a sweet spot with the forest temperatures and the mixed riding I went through. Anyone ride with a textile jacket that has large vent panels that can be closed/opened and keep your body happy for a wide range of temps without the hassle of liners? I don't mind putting a rain jacket on if it's real wet and cold for long periods.

I only have one rain jacket, so I can't really give an objective opinion, but I can say that the First gear Jaunt T2 has zippered opening all over that jacket. The shoulder vents really pump a lot of air around my shoulders and back (where there are more vents). I didn't buy it because I did extensive research. I was in a cycle shop in Bend, Oregon called "Atomic Moto". I am not kidding, that's their name. Really nice people though. The owner, Brian, when I asked about Hi-Vis jackets, brought that one out. Tag said $199. He said that I could have it for $120. I bought it. Can't stand that bright yellow color, but it might just prevent some idiot from running me down. At my age, I don't bounce very well. In use, it is a very nice jacket. Warm, but vents well. Look into it. Atomic Moto has a web site. There prices are very good. Really nice people too!

My old riding jacket, that I've outgrown (horizontally) is a Joe Rocket textile jacket, with a ton of zipper-open vents, and a removable liner. Always loved that jacket, I could wear it in brutal heat as long as I was moving. Not sure what they make these days.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

jacket_gry.jpg

Klim Badlands Pro. Badlands Pro Jacket

Totally waterproof and comfortable for me from about 50f to 90f without a liner. Under 50f I'll layer up underneath, and I usually unzip the waterproof zippered vents at around 75f. Over 90f is hot no matter what you're wearing, this jacket isn't bad at highway speeds but in town or on dirt I usually opt for full mesh at those high temps.

Good armor including chest & back protectors and a kidney belt are standard, a lot of other jackets only come with shoulder and elbow protection and the aftermarket add-on armor can add a lot of money to the real price.

I've been super happy with this jacket. I've worn it almost every day for the last 6 months, and I haven't found anything to complain about. If there is a better all-around jacket on the market today, I could not find it.
    Peterb and admiral like this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Yes. Brian from Atomic Moto sold me on the AFX FX-41 helmet last year. We talked for 20 min about helmets. His video reviews are excellent. I'll check out his reviews again. Thanks for the suggestions.

+1 for T2

I also got a First Gear Jaunt T2, about two months ago. Sadly I have not used it in warm to hot weather yet (here in Colorado it's been cloudy and rainy and a little snowy for several weeks ) but so far I'm liking the jacket a lot. I've used it without the liner but with an extra layer of clothing at temps in the 50's and 60's and been quite comfortable. I also chose the bright yellow color, as I'll take all the help I can get in being seen! I paid $180 at RevZilla, free shipping.

An alternate solution is to get a large shell that fits over the armored mesh jacket. Quick and easy to put on and off, zipper can be adjusted for ventilation on the fly. I picked up an XXL shell on a whim just to test the idea and it worked very well. My nylon shell has a liner so would probably get soggy in an extended downpour but t I got it primarily for wind at speed and early morning chill.
    The shell is fairly easy to slip over the armored jacket when needed and rest of time stow compactly in a tail storage bag with lunch and beverages.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-21-2015 at 12:07 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

That's what I do with my mesh jacket. I threw out the liner, but carry both this jacket and the pants. Ultra-compact, rain proof, and warm too. For more insulation I use another shirt or a fleece.
    REV'IT! Cyclone H2O Rain Jacket - RevZilla FRC004_0410UB_300RGB08_detail.jpg

I have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket as well that is waterproof with vents. I use that one 3 seasons with varying insulation layers. I've worn it from the 20's to the 90's.
    For summertime I prefer the mesh with a shell. I think this is the one I have.

tourmaster_intake_air3_jacket_detail.jpg
    Last edited by Rhodetrip; 05-21-2015 at 12:01 PM.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    An alternate solution is to get a large shell that fits over the armored mesh jacket. Quick and easy to put on and off, zipper can be adjusted for ventilation on the fly. I picked up an XXL shell on a whim just to test the idea and it worked very well. My nylon shell has a liner so would probably get soggy in an extended downpour but t I got it primarily for wind at speed and early morning chill.
    The shell is fairly easy to slip over the armored jacket when needed and rest of time stow compactly in a tail storage bag with lunch and beverages.
    Why didn't i think of that. Just tried my rain jacket over my mesh jacket and it fits fine!
    littletommy likes this.

I always wear my yellow Icon vest when riding on the roads. Might not be cool but it's cool that drivers see me. Getting home safe is cool enough for me.
    rick
    biged8 likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links