Beyond paint, how has the TW changed throughout the years?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Beyond paint, how has the TW changed throughout the years?

Beyond paint, how has the TW changed throughout the years?

I am new to the TW200, but have ridden cruisers since I was 19. I've always wanted to go off-road, but am not a daredevil (I'll leave that up to the cousins). Adventure, though! That makes me happy. This little bike seems to fit the bill. I want to buy one, but want to understand the difference between model years.

After being on the forum for a couple of days, it appears that there's a steady color shift year-to-year, but what about the mechanics? Is one year more reliable than another? Were there any tweaks or upgrades that made the bike better? If so, what year model?

I'm really looking forward to buying one soon. Money's burning a hole in my pocket, but I want to be smart about this too.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Fred and Aspenmeadow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    We do have forum members out in that neck o' de' woods, so don't hesitate to ask someone to assist in checking out a bike you find, or ask US any questions you have.....before buying. if you find a bike, take a LOT of pictures...show them to us...and allow us to help you.

And WELCOME to the forum
    Thanks for the quick reply! I have really enjoyed the forums so far. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and know-how.

This is the bike I hope to pick up Tuesday (if no one else grabs it first): 1999 TW200 YAMAHA DUAL SPORT

I spoke with the gentleman on the phone and he says he has two of the TW200's: one he's painted up and outfitted for off-road, and this one that is setup for street. I'll be buying the "street bike" version.

Any chance this bike belongs to a forum member? I know I could trust it then...

I wanted to get it tomorrow, but my bank isn't open on Saturdays and ATMs won't allow that much of a withdrawal, so... I have to wait and hope it was meant to be.
    If someone else buys it, there's another bike for sale by a forum member, but he's 8 hours away. While I really want to start with a used bike, I may end up riding an hour and a half west to Richmond to buy directly from a dealer. I have 3 bikes too many right now, but if I go through a dealer, I should be able to trade in one of them. We'll see.
    TWilight likes this.

Looks like a nice bike, hope you get it.
    TWilight likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum LuvNot!

Twilight is pretty much spot on with his assessment that almost all years of TW's are pretty much the same with none being significantly better or worse.

The first model year 1987 has a bit of an oddball electrical system and is widely considered to have a more problematic CDI than the later years.

Model years 1988 through 2000 are essentially the same except for the color schemes. All came equipped with both a kickstarter and an electric starter and had drum brakes front and rear.

Beginning with model year 2001, the TW lost its kickstarter, picked up a hydraulic front disc brake and a resettable trip odometer. A few other changes were a different carburetor, a smaller gas cap and I believe a slightly higher output electrical system.

There have also been a few minor differences reported over the years such as the location of the muffler mount on the frame, internal stator/flywheel/side cover changes, and electrical connector and wiring harness changes, etc., but I don't have specific details on these. Model years around 2005 seem to have problems with leaking base gaskets that seem to be fixable by using a newer gasket from model years 2010 and up.

That's about all that I can think of. The bottom line is - if you can find a TW in the condition that you want, at a price that you can afford, in a color scheme that you can tolerate, you really can't go too wrong with any model year.

That looks like a nice choice to begin off-road and adventure riding. Not too new nor expensive to fear putting the first scratches on. Has hand guards to protect levers , skid plate to protect engine, and that CycleRack at the back also protects things during a accidental tip-over. Not that you will plan to have a spill, but things happen.
    You have one of the last years that a kickstater was standard. Newer bikes get a front disc brake instead of a kickstrarter, there merits of which are endlessly debated here back and forth. I have ridden TWs from early 90's through 2005 and they are all good despite very subtle differences.
    Hope you get the bike from the add and wishing you a big welcome!
    And if the color scheme of the '99 does not suit you different color plastics from other years may be added, or a few of us paint or wrap. Camouflage looks good on a TW. To be different I painted mine fluorescent orange.
    TWilight likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Beginning with model year 2001...a resettable trip odometer.
    I'm not so sure on that. I looked at a 2000 model last weekend that had the resettable trip odometer. I was surprised at that because I had read on this forum elsewhere it changed in 2001.

Jay Dub
    Jay Dub

Current rides:
    '01 TW200 bone stock
    '06 Honda CRF230F lighted & plated.(KISS where less is more)
    '01 BMW R1100RL with Russell "Day Long" saddle, Aeroflow screen, heated grips, throttle lock, modulating headlight & tail light.

Previous rides:
    '87 BMW K100LT, '03 Honda XR650L, '95 Honda XLR250R "Baja," '71 BMW R60/5, '81 Honda CM400C "Custom," '82 Honda ATC 185S, '79 CR125 Elsinore, '79 KE175,
    various others I don't remember the models

Twilight is correct in recommending new tires for safety reasons as photo makes tires look old. His idea of putting down a deposit this weekend is a very good idea too. You did not mention the number of miles on the bike. Good luck.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydub View Post
    I'm not so sure on that. I looked at a 2000 model last weekend that had the resettable trip odometer. I was surprised at that because I had read on this forum elsewhere it changed in 2001.

Jay Dub
    I am not surprised Jay Dub.

I also have a 2001 that still has the earlier/larger gas cap so I am sure there was some phase in of these changes as opposed to a clean cutoff from one year to the next.

I have to question why the seller did not give the mileage. That would be an important consideration.

Welcome, and you will be amazed what there people know and how willing they are to share their knowledge. I too am a newcomer. I got my 2013 about a month ago.

Jerry

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to keep you all up to date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links