3 Crashes and 1 Dump in 1 Afternoon
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: 3 Crashes and 1 Dump in 1 Afternoon

3 Crashes and 1 Dump in 1 Afternoon

I forgot how hard beginners are on the equipment. I got the wife a new TW yesterday so she could learn how to ride a motorcycle and so we can ride together - so now I have two. Anyhow rough start... Getting going the engine stalls from stomping it into 1st gear with no clutch.

Then OK on about an hour of asphalt puttering. Then to the gravel roads.... Nice and slow for several miles, no problem. So we take to the trails. Bad mistake. Things get a little challenging and the throttle opens up and stays there... Crash. Get back on the horse and try the same spot again.... More inappropriate throttle - Crash. OK let's get back on the gravel roads. Goes OK so let's try a really EASY trail.... More throttle... Crash. I pick the bike up for her on the slight side hill... All board... Dump to the down hill side and she goes rolling through the tall grass... Argh... Enough for one day, back to the gravel and asphalt and home so I can bend both levers back into reasonable shape and the clutch can again disengage properly. I think I will leave the kinked front fender on until we are a little farther up the learning curve.

All in all actually a pretty good day as the wife took it well and did not get seriously hurt or even bloody. Put a nice scuff on her new helmet. Nothing a nice Mexican dinner out couldn't fix. She still has a good attitude about it. I am glad as I know it was my mistake taking her too far too fast.

It seems the bike crashes well with the bar ends and passenger foot pegs taking the brunt of the impact. No scratches to speak of on the rest of the bike other than the front of the front fender getting bent over backwards. Just some rubs on the mirrors and turn signals. One mirror spun lose without breaking the perch so I was happy.

Overall pretty good day.
    Last edited by Welder; 05-25-2015 at 12:42 AM.

Good for you both, a good attitude works just as well as loose lever perches to ease the learning curve with minimal damage.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

lol sorry man I couldn't stop laughing. I remember teaching my wife and when she got to the first T in the road she got off the bike and had me turn it for her. She is actually a good rider today but I would still never take her off the pavement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good for your wife for wanting to learn to ride. You'll love the admiration from guys who wish their wives would ride with them. I'm so happy my girlfriend wants to ride and has her own bike. Not sure she will ever try very challenging trails though.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Good on you there. I taught all of my kids on dirt roads. Learning to use a clutch is a little more forgiving on it.

OMG!! yours and my wife must have been channeling each other, took my wife (sort of a new rider) out yesterday and she crashed twice, once on the gravel(tried to take off in 2nd gear on a hill) and once on the pavement (again tried to take off in 2nd) and she fell over after stalling, bark busters are her friend no damage except a broken turn signal and her pride l
    87tw,08 klr650,00dr200,76tl250,73cl175 scrambler,75tl250,76tl125,1960 cushman trailster,

No offence intended here and I have felt your pain with a GF years ago. Learning to ride is best done off the asphalt for sure and properly outfitting the gal with the right gear is most important. You do not want her getting hurt. You don't mention the size of your wife but it could be the TW is too big or too heavy for her beginning. A lighter bike like a 100cc might be a better choice until she gets her legs under her and the clutch/gear thing down pat. There is nothing wrong with finding a smaller dirt bike for her to learn the basics on and then move her up to the TW. My GF had the hardest time going over logs and small branches laying at angles across the trails. Anything that kicked the front wheel off line put her in the dirt. My Hodaka Ace 90 took a beating for a couple weeks but she sure did learn to ride pretty well and her dad bought her a nice Honda 90 that I called a walk through frame and she could keep up with the best of us most times.

I just think a TW is a bit heavy for a small frame gal just learning.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Congratulations to your wife for having good spirits!

The scars make great memories.
    GaryL and TWilight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    Congratulations to your wife for having good spirits!

The scars make great memories.
    And some bad ones! I remember picking cinders out of my arms and legs for a few years from learning the art of taking wild falls on an old railroad bed. Some of my aches and pains today can be directly attributed to those falls 50 years ago.

GaryL
    TWilight likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links