missing the dip stick
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: missing the dip stick

missing the dip stick

does anyone have any idea why Yamaha replaced the oil dip stick with a glass peep hole? it had to cost them more to put a port hole in the side case than it cost to put a little piece of plastic on the oil fill plug. I miss the dip stick, I have a tough time trying to make sure the bike stays vertical while almost standing on my head trying to see oil in a little hole. on top of that, now I can't smell or feel the engine oil so it is hard the stay in touch with any engine problems
    Last edited by grewen; 05-25-2015 at 09:50 PM.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    My 2 cents on the issue... Sight glass is used on many things from motorcycle engines to tractors and so on instead of a dipstick for the main reason of preventing contamination. The less you have to open the case, the smaller the chance of mud, dirt grime, lint from your rag, etc getting in there and messing stuff up.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

More likely it has to do with the position of the stick itself. Doubtful there is a straight run where the cap with the stick could go through to reach the sump for an accurate reading.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

For the most part on a TW, if you see oil and air above it in the sight glass, weather the bike is perfectly verticle or not, you are good to go. Makes it easy to check everytime you get on. Need to touch and play with the carcinogen called oil? Change it every 1000 miles. It is only a quart.
    TWilight and scotti158 like this.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

With a dip stick, I'm always trying to remember if I'm supposed to screw in all the way or let it rest on top of the threads when I check the oil. Sight glass takes away that guess work and introduces the "is it vertical" question. I just hold it by the right handlebar with the wheel straight and feel for the balance point while looking at the sight glass. It helps with the eye hand coordination.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I think a little of this has to do with the age of our tech. Back in the seventies all my DT's had sight glasses. That said I bought one of these when they quit putting centerstands on bikes. Use it quite a bit. It has earned its space in my tight garage.

1000 Lb Capacity Motorcycle Swingarm Rear Stand

Agree with Irppcer . Also , sight glass is more effective , IMO . On checking oil for TW : Put bike in 1st gear , push forward until bike stops.....due to being in gear . Kneel down by rightside of bike ( keep the kickstand down btw, incase the bike "gets away from you " during this procedure . Now , IF you have the balance and physical strength , gently lean bike vertical.....towards you ( I usually grasp the least widest part of the seat.....just prior to the seat going up the tank )......your left knee can also be used as support against the bike while your right knee is on the ground . Your right hand is also on the ground for support . You can now peer into the sight glass .
    AGAIN , the aforementioned is only for riders who possess the balance and strength abilities..... no liabilities on my part mind you . If my rambling makes since , I've found this to be quite effective.
    Darth likes this.

1500 lb. Capacity ATV/Motorcycle Lift

coupon code 28067545 20% off

memorial day sale ordered mine today $74 shipped

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Agree with Irppcer . Also , sight glass is more effective , IMO . On checking oil for TW : Put bike in 1st gear , push forward until bike stops.....due to being in gear . Kneel down by rightside of bike ( keep the kickstand down btw, incase the bike "gets away from you " during this procedure . Now , IF you have the balance and physical strength , gently lean bike vertical.....towards you ( I usually grasp the least widest part of the seat.....just prior to the seat going up the tank )......your left knee can also be used as support against the bike while your right knee is on the ground . Your right hand is also on the ground for support . You can now peer into the sight glass .
    AGAIN , the aforementioned is only for riders who possess the balance and strength abilities..... no liabilities on my part mind you . If my rambling makes since , I've found this to be quite effective.
    Just don't put your knee or hand down in dog poop in the yard like I have before checking...the oil.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I have a KTM with a dipstick, and the oil is supposed to be checked warm. Damn thing never reads the same twice, give me a sight glass any day!
    TWilight likes this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links