TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

' accidental' overnighter

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  grewen 
#1 ·
This past Saturday "I went out for a ride and I never went back"... sorta. Headed South to Osoyoos, then East, and every little town I came to, I thought, 'the next one ain't far'. By the time I got to Grand Forks, I decided to see if I could surprise a friend I hadn't seen in a few years who, last I heard, lived in Castlegar. Unfortunately, I had left home for the first time ever with absolutely nothing. I always have my tablet and a change of clothes with me at the very least. Not this time, and I don't even have a 'smart' phone. So I cruised down main street Grand Forks, spotted a thrift store, and for $6.00 I had a pair of pants, sandals, and a backpack to carry it in. Made it to Castlegar and got a sobering reminder of how dependent we are on tech, stopped 4 different places before someone had a paper map, and no one had a phone book. Never did find my buddy, got a cheap room & headed back the next day.

Made me wonder about the long list of stuff I have so far thought of as essential for an extended trip.

#4 ·
Good idea plumbstraight, I did think to try the pubic library for a computer, but it was already closed, I imagine the post office would have been as well (if it was even open on a Saturday).

Well, adventure lite, anyway! ;)
I am venturing a little farther afield every time I get a wild hair, so maybe I will do something really interesting one day.

#5 ·
At least you had your wallet!

...and by "tablet" you mean the one with lines and you write on it with a pen or pencil?

Last night my cell phone battery died (exhausted). I risked it and didn't even put it on a charger till this morning. I lived! :p

#6 ·
I used to train “Close Protection Operatives” — they were so reliant on technology that I used to get them to surrender anything battery powered before sending them out (with the skills to do it) “old school”.

Having something “tech” is fine — as long as you can still do without it if it comes to it ……….

#7 · (Edited)
Admiral, I like to think that I am not chained by my devices, but it seems that the rest of the world really wants me to be!
And Purple, fortunately, I am old enough that if they all stopped working tomorrow, I'd be fine. It just frightens me to see how dependent the (developed) world is on them.

#8 ·
OK. The spirit of Adventure lite lives on. GTG has shown that memorable impromptu adventures can be had. Now however had a typical British Columbia rainstorm caught up with GTG the memories might have been a little different.;)

Reactions: GTG
#9 ·
...had a typical British Columbia rainstorm caught up with GTG the memories might have been a little different.;)
lol On the way home Sunday I did get drenched, twice! Discovered my pants & boots are waterproof, jacket & gloves, not so much (I actually knew that, but wow, both are really true). But, stop & drink a coffee, the sun comes back out, and all is right with the world again. :)

Reactions: Gerry
#10 ·
Way to go GTG. I love those kind of trips. My wife and I did one of those years ago we kept driving until we got to the Ocean. 3.5 hour drive then the dog woke up in the back seat of my 1988 Suburban. Oops. We found a motel and had a great time.

Reactions: GTG
#13 ·
I just got my first cell phone a few weeks ago. I have fought it and resisted for a long time. A guy in REI asked me if I had a "smart phone". It turns out I do but I didn't know it until I showed it to him. I hate carrying this thing and having it in my pocket and when it rings when I am somewhere where I think I won't be bothered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.