' accidental' overnighter
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: ' accidental' overnighter

' accidental' overnighter

This past Saturday "I went out for a ride and I never went back"... sorta. Headed South to Osoyoos, then East, and every little town I came to, I thought, 'the next one ain't far'. By the time I got to Grand Forks, I decided to see if I could surprise a friend I hadn't seen in a few years who, last I heard, lived in Castlegar. Unfortunately, I had left home for the first time ever with absolutely nothing. I always have my tablet and a change of clothes with me at the very least. Not this time, and I don't even have a 'smart' phone. So I cruised down main street Grand Forks, spotted a thrift store, and for $6.00 I had a pair of pants, sandals, and a backpack to carry it in. Made it to Castlegar and got a sobering reminder of how dependent we are on tech, stopped 4 different places before someone had a paper map, and no one had a phone book. Never did find my buddy, got a cheap room & headed back the next day.

Made me wonder about the long list of stuff I have so far thought of as essential for an extended trip.
    "200 cubic centimeters of raw whining power,
    no outstanding warrants for my arrest.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!
    the pirate's life for me!"

Quote Originally Posted by GTG View Post
    This past Saturday "I went out for a ride and I never went back"... sorta. Headed South to Osoyoos, then East, and every little town I came to, I thought, 'the next one ain't far'. By the time I got to Grand Forks, I decided to see if I could surprise a friend I hadn't seen in a few years who, last I heard, lived in Castlegar. Unfortunately, I had left home for the first time ever with absolutely nothing. I always have my tablet and a change of clothes with me at the very least. Not this time, and I don't even have a 'smart' phone. So I cruised down main street Grand Forks, spotted a thrift store, and for $6.00 I had a pair of pants, sandals, and a backpack to carry it in. Made it to Castlegar and got a sobering reminder of how dependent we are on tech, stopped 4 different places before someone had a paper map, and no one had a phone book. Never did find my buddy, got a cheap room & headed back the next day.

Made me wonder about the long list of stuff I have so far thought of as essential for an extended trip.
    There is always the post office to check for an address. Most likely they might even know your friend if the town is small.

The spirit of adventure lives on!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good idea plumbstraight, I did think to try the pubic library for a computer, but it was already closed, I imagine the post office would have been as well (if it was even open on a Saturday).

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The spirit of adventure lives on!
    Well, adventure lite, anyway!
    I am venturing a little farther afield every time I get a wild hair, so maybe I will do something really interesting one day.
    Smitty Blackstone and admiral like this.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!

At least you had your wallet!

...and by "tablet" you mean the one with lines and you write on it with a pen or pencil?

Last night my cell phone battery died (exhausted). I risked it and didn't even put it on a charger till this morning. I lived!

I used to train “Close Protection Operatives” — they were so reliant on technology that I used to get them to surrender anything battery powered before sending them out (with the skills to do it) “old school”.

Having something “tech” is fine — as long as you can still do without it if it comes to it ……….
    GTG likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Admiral, I like to think that I am not chained by my devices, but it seems that the rest of the world really wants me to be!
    And Purple, fortunately, I am old enough that if they all stopped working tomorrow, I'd be fine. It just frightens me to see how dependent the (developed) world is on them.
    Last edited by GTG; 06-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!

OK. The spirit of Adventure lite lives on. GTG has shown that memorable impromptu adventures can be had. Now however had a typical British Columbia rainstorm caught up with GTG the memories might have been a little different.
    GTG likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    ...had a typical British Columbia rainstorm caught up with GTG the memories might have been a little different.
    lol On the way home Sunday I did get drenched, twice! Discovered my pants & boots are waterproof, jacket & gloves, not so much (I actually knew that, but wow, both are really true). But, stop & drink a coffee, the sun comes back out, and all is right with the world again.
    Gerry likes this.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!

Way to go GTG. I love those kind of trips. My wife and I did one of those years ago we kept driving until we got to the Ocean. 3.5 hour drive then the dog woke up in the back seat of my 1988 Suburban. Oops. We found a motel and had a great time.
    GTG likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links