Road Trip on TW
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Road Trip on TW

Road Trip on TW

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on a trip I want to take from Iowa City, Ia to Cubero, NM to go visit my parents. I used google maps to map out the trip while avoiding highways and the trip one way would be 1272 miles. I have a 2013 tw200 with about 400 miles on it. I would be passed the 600 mile mark by the time of the trip and would have had the 600 mile service done. The one way trip would be split between two days.

Here are my questions:

Is this too far of a trip for a new tw?
    What are some must have items to for a journey this far?
    Would riding 10+ hours a day for two days be too much for me?
    Should I change the oil when I get to NM after 1200 miles since I am still breaking in the bike?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-marbar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mudbug likes this.

rbm
    ^^ What he said.
    TWilight likes this.

What a cool adventure... I'm toooooo old for such a trip, I couldn't do that many miles a day on my road bike..... Take a few breaks to divide those hours.. I've known guys that rode a mountain bike across this great country... Good luck. OMM.
    TWilight and mudbug like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Definitely not too far for the TW but may be for your butt. It is well known that the original TW seat is not a good long distance cruising seat. May be good to try a few hour trip before taking on 10+ hours. There is some good ideas for seat improvements on this site.
    Here is one thread:
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...hard-rock.html
    Find more with a google search for " seat cushion site:https://tw200forum.com/ "

Another popular longer ride improvement is the larger foot pegs.

Jim
    2005 TW200
    1966 Honda S90
    1979 Harley Low Rider

Thanks for the advice Mike. I plan to do the ride in a Mon/Tues or Tues/Weds as long as the weather is ok. We can get some nasty storms here n tornado alley. Would a tire repair kit be a good idea? Or slime?

I rode my TW from NY to TX and back to NY. The max i rode in a day was 10 hours which is unsafe. I was getting fatigue and falling asleep while riding. Don't do it. Bring a rain jacket and insulating jacket as my body shivers and wants to die at 55 degrees F or under. Get a Jimboshield or the winds will annoy you by pushing your chest and head back over and over again. Bring a small rod or pole to prop your swingarm up for chain tensioning. Carry a 2nd rear axle wrench. The double ended wrench from the toolkit is worthless as it'll just cause the axle bolt to swing endlessly unless you have a 2nd wrench on the opposite side of the swingarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thode View Post
    Definitely not too far for the TW but may be for your butt. It is well known that the original TW seat is not a good long distance cruising seat. May be good to try a few hour trip before taking on 10+ hours. There is some good ideas for seat improvements on this site.
    Here is one thread:
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...hard-rock.html
    Find more with a google search for " seat cushion site:https://tw200forum.com/ "

Another popular longer ride improvement is the larger foot pegs.

Jim
    Thanks for the reply Jim. It has a aftermarket seat rebuild by seat concepts and is somewhat comfortable, though I haven't gone 10 hours in it. I've heard of a Coleman cover that might help. Larger pegs are a good idea.

Thanks.
    -Mario

As for the foot pegs, I welded a loop of 3/4" flat strap bent in a U to extend the length of them. Huge difference in comfort. I don't know the width of your butt however any money spent on saddle improvement
    is a good investment. Yes, take a tire patch kit and a second axle wrench. A stainless steel one quart container for oil is another good thing. Any way you can carry a little more gas would be an asset, even just a half a gallon could save you. A back pack for cargo set so that it rests its weight on a rolled up sleeping bag behind your butt to take the strain off your shoulders. I did this when I rode a dirt bike from Illinois to mid Florida years ago and it worked well. That was over 1200 miles one way.
    Phelonius

I'm no long distance riderologist, but the two things which bothered me the most when I rode my HD Sportster back and forth from Idaho to Minnesota (on the Wisconsin Border), meaning all the way across MN, extra gas and a windshield.

Sportster has a smaller gas tank than the TW and I got lucky a couple times finding gas in the nick of time. I never passed up on gas if over 50 miles into the tank. Going against a head wind took extra gas I didn't take into account. Along the way, I ended up using 1 or 2 liter empty pop bottles. Not legal, not good, but I didn't run out and was some piece of mind with that small peanut tank. So, if you're planned stops are well within gas range you'll be good to go. If you're gas stops are at the outer edge, plan accordingly.

The windshield has been mentioned, so I'll just re-emphasize it. Wore my as out without one. Wind, buffeting from other vehicles, bugs...repeat. Get something and that will help a ton from rider fatigue.

Good luck and when you get back you will call it an adventure!

Hey TWilight, to your knowledge has anyone done a saddle sore on a TW? If not, you should get yourself in the record books
    TWilight likes this.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links