Countersteering: The most unintuitive of actions done without thinking
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: Countersteering: The most unintuitive of actions done without thinking

Countersteering: The most unintuitive of actions done without thinking

When riding a motorcycle and initiating a turn, you actually start the turn in the opposite direction. To turn left for instance you push forward on your left handlebar and pull back on your right one. Once in the turn normal steering logic returns. What actually is happening is that you need to lean in the direction of the turn you will be making and the countersteering accomplishes that. We all do this many times a day, but probably most riders aren't even aware they are doing it. It's just like other things we do on the TW or other bikes that we don't even think about consciously(i.e. for me not noticing the TW clutch engagement point until there was a discussion about how far out it was).
    TWilight and mudbug like this.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

Something you learn when you first learn to ride a bicycle as a kid (non training wheels). I only first learned I was actually doing it sometime in my 30s

On the friction zone, easy fix. Its something I really didnt like when I took my first ride on the 06, and really hate when Im off road.

Theres a perch the cable sheath goes through, the one on the engine right before it gets to the pivot arm. Loosen both jamnuts and start moving it to the right, towards the pivot arm. Each adjustment requires an adjustment of the clutch lever freeplay also. The further you move it towards the pivot arm (to the right) the sooner the clutch starts engaging when you start to let go of the clutch lever. Careful, you can go to far to the point the clutch doesnt fully release. I got to that point then backed up and went the other way a bit (to the left) until I was sure the clutch would fully release.

Friction zone is where it should be now Havent done it on my 09 yet.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

When I try telling that to a new rider they think I'm nuts............But it does work that way.. OMM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hey. I resemble that remark.. OMM.
    mudbug, GTG, TWilight and 2 others like this.

I am having the hardest time wrapping my head around this. I purchased the Proficient Motorcycling book and read their explanation. I've done web searches too. But for some reason, this is not making sense in my world at all. Why would you turn the wrong direction to go the opposite way? How does this work? It's the one thing that seems absolutely backwards, even though I know it must be correct or I wouldn't be hearing so much about it...

GTG
    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    I am having the hardest time wrapping my head around this. I purchased the Proficient Motorcycling book and read their explanation. I've done web searches too. But for some reason, this is not making sense in my world at all. Why would you turn the wrong direction to go the opposite way? How does this work? It's the one thing that seems absolutely backwards, even though I know it must be correct or I wouldn't be hearing so much about it...
    Inorite!? I grew up riding, then took 30 years to get back on. When I went to ask about the requirements to be licensed, they gave me a book. I got to that part and just went ...huh? It's one of those things you just do, but when you see it written down it just looks so wrong. So don't worry about the words, don't think about it, just do it. You got this!
    "200 cubic centimeters of raw whining power,
    no outstanding warrants for my arrest.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!
    the pirate's life for me!"

Quote Originally Posted by GTG View Post
    Inorite!? I grew up riding, then took 30 years to get back on. When I went to ask about the requirements to be licensed, they gave me a book. I got to that part and just went ...huh? It's one of those things you just do, but when you see it written down it just looks so wrong. So don't worry about the words, don't think about it, just do it. You got this!
    Yeap! The only time your mind makes mental sense of the words that describe counter steering is in a power slide or skidding with the tail out; just like sliding in a car. During normal riding turns it just isn't noticeable it's so slight.
    mudbug likes this.
    TW200 "Little Brute" is gone - Waiting to see what 2016 brings (WR250R/CRF250 RALLY/KTM390/Africa Twin or E-bicycle?)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Brute View Post
    Yeap! The only time your mind makes mental sense of the words that describe counter steering is in a power slide or skidding with the tail out; just like sliding in a car. During normal riding turns it just isn't noticeable it's so slight.
    Actually Little Brute the actions of 4 wheels in a skid and counterstreering on 2 wheels is a very different phenomena.
    TWilight likes this.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Brute View Post
    is that like when you're driving a regular vehicle, and u start fishtailing and u countersteer to pull yourself out of it? I don't think im doing this turning my bike?
    Little Brute and littletommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    Actually Little Brute the actions of 4 wheels in a skid and counterstreering on 2 wheels is a very different phenomena.
    Not for counter steering, right? I'm an old TT and Flat Track racer. When the tails out you damn well better have the front wheel in the oposite direction of the turn. Just saying...

Please explain oh might one
    TWilight likes this.
    TW200 "Little Brute" is gone - Waiting to see what 2016 brings (WR250R/CRF250 RALLY/KTM390/Africa Twin or E-bicycle?)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links