• 1 Post By Mel
  • 2 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Gunny's TW
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By littletommy

Thread: 1987 tw

1987 tw

Hello Guys,
    my name is Steve and I live in Central California. I just picked up 2) 1987 tw200 bikes. I am new to this forum and
    I have a question regarding the TW200. Some of the parts and plastic parts are discontinued, how much has this bike changed
    in later years? Can I order parts for later years and still fit my rigs? Where is the best place to get discounted parts for these bikes?
    Any help would e appreciated.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Mel
    Welcome Gunny,
    If you would like a college education in one weekend, go look at the Russ Austin Memorial ride happening this coming weekend at Santa Margarita KOA. If you have question, call me at 805-441-0961
    Mel

Note, it would be nice if you said where in Central Calif you are located.

Mel and his mates out there are a wealth of info for your needs and education. A more basic answer to your question is that many TW parts are completely interchangeable right from 1987 and up until today. We need to know the exact parts you need to say if they are the same. Where the 1987 differs most is in the electrical system but most of the plastic parts are all the same. It will be very easy once you post up the parts you need so we can tell you what years will fit. Many times when you see a part is discontinued it has more to do with the color and graphics than in the actual parts fitment. Ebay and this forum are excellent sources for a lot of year specific parts.

GaryL
    Dryden-Tdub and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I just picked these up and I am one of "Those" guys who can't leave well enough alone! The bikes aren't thrashed but not taken care of like I would have.
    They were ridden by a father and a teenage son, I don't know who laid them over more but the headlight support is bent, back blinkers are broke, blinker supports are bent, the mirror supports
    are stripped out. I will have a laundry list of items to change out shortly and I like to keep original. I need to order new mirror supports and rear blinkers right away. Do the later year
    blinker assemblies fit my bikes? Also, want to replace my tires right away due to cracking. I saw a tire thread about the Shinko front tire, looks good, what do you recommend for the rear tire?
    I live in Modesto, have camped at Margarita Lake before and just camped in Pismo for Memorial Weekend.
    I didn't think the style didn't change much, Yamaha has done this over the years with other models of atvs, it seems the develop something that is a home run and it doesn't change for lots of years.
    Thanks again for the help, I need it!

I am sure the blinker stalks will bolt right on from any years. You may want to check the bulbs wattage requirements because the 1987 models do in fact have a less powerful stator output and the higher wattage bulbs could be problematic as would be the headlight. The mirrors, if stock mounting is still there should be a one piece lever perch and in stock form the right side - front brake side, mirror is a left hand thread while the left side is standard right hand threads. They can be drilled out and a helicoil can fix them up. There is a member here who bought the kit and willingly loans it out for free but I don't remember his name. Otherwise you will need to buy new or good used lever perches.

The rear tire Trail wing is fine for most of us while the Shinko 244 Golden boy 18 X 5.10 seems to be a favorite for many in the front. Check out Rocky Mountain ATV for prices with free shipping. New tubes and Ride On wheel balance fluid is also a good idea. It is often a better plan to buy the tires, tubes and balance from a local shop for a bit more but to let them do the mounting. These tires are a real bear to break the beads and do it yourself. Most of the bent mounting posts can probably be bent back into shape and the headlight bracket also.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

A Shinko 241 for the front and just use a stock knobby on the rear. (Bridgestone TW34)

Gunny...get down to Mel's for the git together. You won't regret it. You can get all the help you ever wanted and make some of the best friends you could ever hope to meet. Just do it bro, seriously.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Sponosred Links