• 4 Post By Cornelis
  • 1 Post By Cornelis
  • 2 Post By phelonius
  • 1 Post By TopPredator
  • 1 Post By munchmeister
  • 2 Post By Cornelis

Thread: For those TW Riders that are 80-90% hard top

For those TW Riders that are 80-90% hard top

While the TW is one of the best off road vehicles out there, there are those among the Forum that use the TW200 basically on paved surfaces. I run mainly tertiary paved roads, with some secondaries and highways and a bit of (10-15%) graveled and dirt stretches. For those that do I would suggest several basic Mods. The first is the tires i think are best in this mix are the TW203/204's. You really should consider investing in a DID 428VX-X ring chain, they are awesome and do NOT stretch. Also, at least as much as the pure off roaders you need good oil. At 1500 miles or thereabouts go to the Mobil1 4T 10w40, you will be impressed with how it smooths out shifting and finding neutral. If you run long stretches in excess of 55 Odo. I would suggest replacing the front sproket with a 15T from the current 14T. This keeps you from having to replace the chain, but you will have to invest in another cover gasket. In my signature below you can see the mods I have made. Yours will most likely be different. My only future mods planned at this time is to lengthen(not widen) the foot pegs and to work on seat issues. Enjoy the great TW200. Enjoy the day.DSCN0359.JPGDSCN0355.JPGDSCN0354.JPG
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

As there is no dirt around here ( Bottomless Sugar Sand ) I've done the same mods you have. The 203/204 combo also makes the Dub into a corner carving fool. Just the setup to screw around with sport bikes on the Dragon.

I use my bike to commute to work and back every day in my city and I'm enjoying every second of it.

I also dressed my bike with the 203/204 Bridgestones, I bought my DID x-ring chain and new cover gasket last week and now I'm waiting patiently for my 15/42 sprocket combination to arrive from the USA, I ordered it nearly 3 weeks ago but the postal service has not delivered it yet.

With the new sprocket combo I'm suppose to be able to cruise comfortably at 60-70 mph, I will report back with the results of my experiment.

02062015064.jpg
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelis View Post
    I use my bike to commute to work and back every day in my city and I'm enjoying every second of it.

I also dressed my bike with the 203/204 Bridgestones, I bought my DID x-ring chain and new cover gasket last week and now I'm waiting patiently for my 15/42 sprocket combination to arrive from the USA, I ordered it nearly 3 weeks ago but the postal service has not delivered it yet.

With the new sprocket combo I'm suppose to be able to cruise comfortably at 60-70 mph, I will report back with the results of my experiment.

02062015064.jpg
    Be aware that you will lose a lot of torque if you go too far(i.e. changing the front sproket and reducing the rear one.. Yes, you can go faster top end but the bike will be anemic on the low side where it really does shine. Consider first just the 15T front and then make the decision on the reduced rear. Whatever you decide, good luck with it and let the Forum know your take on it.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

Yes, I'm aware of the torque issue and I will let you know how it worked out for me.
    littletommy likes this.
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

My TW is my only vehicle, and gets a lot of City commute time. I love my Shinko 428s - they're also surprisingly effective off-road. I'm running 15/46, and I don't recommend going lower than 46 in the back. On level, no wind days, I can cruise 72 and up. But the moment there's any headwind or incline, it doesn't take much before I'm back to 55, 50, then dropping back down to fourth. I'm pretty sure there's a future Wrench&Ride that's going to put a 50 back on the rear. I'm interested to hear how the 15/42 works out.

15 X 42 will work just fine if you only weigh 50 pounds body weight.
    scotti158 and ejfranz like this.
    Phelonius

IMO the TW should not be run over 65 mph. Mine will run 70/72 but if you experience a wobble there is nothing left
    to power out of it. I experienced a wobble one day at 70mph while riding over a bridge it wasn't bad but it did clear my sinuses. I decided to keep it 65 and under from here on out. IMO the bike is to light and not designed for high speeds. I am not currently running street tires.
    ejfranz likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks View Post
    My TW is my only vehicle, and gets a lot of City commute time. I love my Shinko 428s - they're also surprisingly effective off-road. I'm running 15/46, and I don't recommend going lower than 46 in the back. On level, no wind days, I can cruise 72 and up. But the moment there's any headwind or incline, it doesn't take much before I'm back to 55, 50, then dropping back down to fourth. I'm pretty sure there's a future Wrench&Ride that's going to put a 50 back on the rear. I'm interested to hear how the 15/42 works out.
    You ride the TDub on the hills of SF? Always thought a motorbike would be ideal in that City but seems you might be in second gear most of the time. Just wonderin'. Love SF. I've thought of heading out there and renting, just to motor around the area. Now back to your regular programming
    bananachunks likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks View Post
    Please go to 15 front/ 42 rear sprocket conversion https://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/15782-15-front-42-rear-sprocket-conversion.html#post198139 to read my report about the conversion
    littletommy and LuvNot like this.
    Hidden Content

Sponosred Links