Considering a 2015 TW200
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Considering a 2015 TW200

Considering a 2015 TW200

I am going to look at a TW200 on Friday. I don't really know a lot about the bike, except that it looks very cool and a lot of fun. I live on an Island where 75% of the roads are un-paved, very sandy, some deepish. I have other bikes for off-isle use, so this will not be seeing the highway at all. I am 5'11 and 200 lbs, but I like the low seat height, same as my CB1100. One of my other considerations was the DR Z-400, but its a very tall bike. I just spent a week in the Smoky Mtns on a MultiStrada....had to get on it like getting on a horse. I looked around for reviews, but didn't see many that gave any info other than specs. Any issues ? Is 200 cc's enough ? Hows the suspension ? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Just found this review, i'm convinced: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40322

Just put a deposit on one......
    Last edited by Hyack; 06-09-2015 at 03:20 PM.

That is a good review on ADVrider. I bought one in March, new 2015, and am loving it for riding around town, and on to some trails, when the snow in Colorado melts enough. I bought it because it is light weight. I'm just too old to lift heavy bikes, though I still ride my BMW R1150GS (+/- 550 lbs) which is my long distance tour bike. The TDub is not for highways. Tops out at about 60MPH but that is just fine with me. Easy to maneuver, easy to flick around, easy to just hop on and go... to the grocery store, to lunch or just to get a little air. When I want to take a week and do a trip to Canada or something, I have the Beemer but this little bike I just love (except for that seat. I gotta fix that. And bar risers. Need those for standing on the pegs. And, and, and....). Just my two cents. Here's my little beastie, yesterday.
    20150608_152738-L.jpg
    jeffrolives and littletommy like this.

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Hyack, first.......WELCOME....to the greatest show on earth.

Second, when I saw your forum name, I thought you might live very close to Fred....one of the forum members....that goes by the name...Fred ...as he lives in Verdi, Nevada, which is very close to Hyack, Calif.

Given your story of using the TW200 on the Island...you will be very happy with your choice. It does NOT lack in power, the suspension is...okay...but manageable. Once that orignal front tires wears a bit, you will want to replace it (and 99 % of the folks on this forum will tell you that, so...prepare for the onslaught). Best tires for your use are:

Shinko 241 Trials

Shinko 244 Golden Boy

There is a LOT of info on this forum, and 99.314159 % of the members are very helpful, and giving, so...enjoy.

Mike
    Thanks Mike ! I didn't know there was such a place. I got the name by combining 2 local airport codes HYA for Hyannis, MA and ACK for Nantucket, MA
    It will be a while before I need tires, mostly sand here, but I can't wait to search everyone's mods.
    TWilight likes this.

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Now, go buy a tire to replace the OEM, you're welcome.
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

Righteous Bald Man has spoken. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I expect to see a receipt for that new tire posted here before bed time

Tom

PS. Congratulations on the bike and welcome to the nuthouse....
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

*Watch out for incorrect Yamaha oil filters that are packed in the correct boxes!

*Make sure your clutch cable/lever are installed and set up correctly on the engine side, as well as checking all the other normal setup stuff like drive chain slack, tire pressure, oil level, nuts and bolts, etc. before riding it.

*Change the gearing to 14/55 or lower if you aren't going to be using it on the highway at all. Check out Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator (comfortable cruising up to about 7,000 RPM; maximum engine RPM = 9,500 IIRC; 14/55 gives you enough power to get up pretty big/steep hills in second gear). I loved 14/55 for off road and roads up to 50 mph. 200 cc is definitely enough unless you need to do extreme hardcore off road stuff (like huge, monster hill climbs and trials-ish boulder hopping crap). Of course this isn't the bike for that. But that being said, if you have it geared low, it is a pretty competent and capable, easy to ride trail bike.

*I found the stock rear tire to be perfectly adequate honestly; not so for the front tire. It's fine on road but useless to the point of almost being dangerous in serious off road stuff. There are some good options out there.

The suspension is soft and bouncy. Comfortable and it works fine for low speed putzing around. But again, this is obviously not going to work at all like some kind of enduro race bike. If you want to haul ass through whoops at 50 mph and scream up 150 foot hills, get a different bike. Otherwise, you'll enjoy riding it.

EDIT: That review you posted a link to, while it does provide some good insight into the TW200's forte, might be a little optimistic. It is a lot of fun riding this bike off road; I think that got to the guy's head a little to be honest, and maybe temporarily inflated his perception of the bike a bit. It is a fun little bike and it CAN kick some ass off road, but at the same time it's sure as hell not a hardcore extreme enduro weapon, by any stretch of the wildest imagination.
    Last edited by kj7687; 06-09-2015 at 06:58 PM.
    TWilight likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Hello and welcome! Now, go buy a tire to replace the OEM, you're welcome.
    LOL, I can take a hint, will research now

Okay, With extensive research....(2 threads) I have decided on the Shinko 241 4.00 X 18 front tire, which I will have the dealer change for me.

I can turn a wrench, but I prefer to stay away from front ends and drivetrains. I considered the sprocket change, thank you KJ, but I will be doing some pavement (the highest speed limit here is 45) so I think I will leave that for now. So, short of reading 3 million threads, is there anything else that I should consider having the dealer change ?
    Last edited by Hyack; 06-10-2015 at 05:45 AM.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike. It looks like we have another member from Mass?

Just in case you want another review on the bike check this one out, its a pretty good one.
    Adventure Motorcycle - Test Ride: 2006 Yamaha TW200

If sand is going to be your main substrate you ride on the front tire with its wide open tread pattern might actually be ok. I cant believe i'm typing that but that's the one place it might be ok. Beyond that, its garbage and should be relegated to the ol' garbage bin. The rear tire is fine and works well.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Thanks JB, that's a nice article. I have not seen that one. Thanks bro.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links