First post and questions about the TW200
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: First post and questions about the TW200

First post and questions about the TW200

Hi everyone,

My family and I are moving from MI to Surprise AZ in just a couple of weeks. I've always wanted a motorcycle but could never justify it with unpredictable Michigan Spring/Fall and crappy Winters. Now that I will be living in AZ I can ride all year!

My plan is to buy one of my 10 yr old daughters a used 70cc dirt bike and buy myself a new TW200 or DR200s. I just want something that I can use off-road with my daughter and tool around with on city streets. This would be my first motorcycle.

Hear are my questions:

-Is there a major difference between the TW200 and DR200s?

-Is the TW200 a good first time/starter bike?

-If there are any people that live in AZ, what are the average insurance costs for a dual sport bike?

BTW, I'm 39 yrs old, 6'1", 185 lbs and have a clean driving record. Thank you!!!

Jim

1) If you Wikipedia the two bikes specifications you see the DR is more powerful @ 15hp & 17.7 ft.lbs. torque. Both seats are reasonably low. A few specs differ here and there ( like tires) but those are just numbers. I would say the major difference is in the feel and intended use of the owner. Want to comfortably commute at speed, learn to wheelie, ride more street than dirt? You might prefer the DR. Want to go trail riding with your daughter as you two explore Arizona? Then I would really recommend the TW. You could youtube both bikes and see how others ride theirs and see what suits your style.

2) There are lighter options that would be easier but YES the TW200 would be a good starter bike.

3) Not from AZ but I imagine cost is a function of model, engine displacement and your Zip Code. Internet can give accurate quotes.

Jim, you sound like a perfect candidate for a TW200 as long as you do not have extensive freeway expectations. The TW is a lot of fun on surface streets. Off-road it is quite enough, and torquey enough to put-put alongside your daughter and talk back and forth. Should you lead ahead your comfortable speed might better match hers due to low trail friendly first gear.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Pretty much can't go wrong with a TW... I am slightly biased though...
    TWilight and littletommy like this.

Welcome to the forum Jim. Please read and then re-read TWilight's above post. Commit it to memory and then go purchase a TW200. You will appreciate TWilight's outstanding advice even more as time wears on too because he is seldom this correct!

Tom
    TWilight and littletommy like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

He's a pretty smart guy and more than helpful. Plus, he's been around a motorcycle or two in his lifetime.
    TWilight and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    He's a pretty smart guy and more than helpful. Plus, he's been around a motorcycle or two in his lifetime.
    Stop it LT! They won't make a helmet big enough for his head if you keep stroking his ego. Remember the incident with his noggin a few weeks back? It's really unmanageable for him now
    Love you TWilight

Tom
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    The TW200 is COOL, and comes with 15,000 friends.
    I think that just might be the best ever description of what the TW is all about!!!
    Dryden-Tdub, dette and TWilight like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    Stop it LT! They won't make a helmet big enough for his head if you keep stroking his ego. Remember the incident with his noggin a few weeks back? It's really unmanageable for him now
    Love you TWilight

Tom
    The fact's are the fact's. Gotta give credit where credit is due.
    TWilight likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    The fact's are the fact's. Gotta give credit where credit is due.
    I admire the man and constantly give him credit. I just don't post it anywhere he or anyone else can read it. Geesh you must think I am heartless

Tom
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links