Need a light, cool and available in white helmet that doesn’t give me “hot head!”
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Need a light, cool and available in white helmet that doesn’t give me “hot head!”

Need a light, cool and available in white helmet that doesn’t give me “hot head!”

(This seemed like the right place for “riding gear” questions, but if not feel free to move it)

I found a rare brand new LS2 EE394 EPIC modular SNELL M2010 certified helmet that I grabbed, because it is the only SNELL approved modular helmet available that I know of. They only came in XL & XXL, and you can get any color you want as long as it is black. They tend to run at least one/two sizes larger than most helmets (I wear normally wear an XL and my brother wears a L, but the XXL fits both of us just fine). The main reason I bought this helmet was so I could do Auto-X and motorcycle riding with one helmet, plus its’ modular design.

I’ve always liked open face helmets or no helmet at all. Safety aside, the TW200 is much more fun without a helmet with wind in your face; especially at low speeds. I know… safety, safety, safety! Please understand I went from motorcycle racing at a young age, to ATC’s and Sandrails only used in the dunes. I was one of those trend setters that stuffed Yamaha 350RD Twin 2-stroke engines into a ATC style frame before they even had shocks on them.

Yamaha spotted that trend and the Banshee was eventually born. Never wore a helmet on that or in my Sandrails in the 1970’s. Rarely wore a shirt or shoes either.

There’s something about the feeling of freedom with wind in your face and your hair in the wind (if you still have any for mother nature to tease) that nothing else seems to match. Of course the soft sand is a more forgiving environment than most.

The reason I bring this up is when I ride my TW200 up and down the street testing out updates, I have that feeling. But when I put on my modular helmet that all goes away; I get instant “hot head” and feel confined. I need a helmet that is very light, extremely cool and white to reflect the suns heat here in SoCal that you don’t even know you are wearing. I’m open to full-face or open-face. Unfortunately being out of the sport for so long, I’m not up to date with current helmet-nomics. What do you recommend?
    Last edited by Little Brute; 06-11-2015 at 12:38 AM.
    TW200 "Little Brute" is gone - Waiting to see what 2016 brings (WR250R/CRF250 RALLY/KTM390/Africa Twin or E-bicycle?)

Why is it that nobody offers a good chrome colored helmet? I had one years ago but it was ate up in a crash. it did the job though.
    I liked it because it was super visible and didn't heat up in the sun. The only chrome ones I see now are those stupid beanies the the gay pirate crowd wears
    in helmet required states. A good 3/4 or full helmet in chrome would be my choice.
    Little Brute likes this.
    Phelonius

The smallest shell, lightest (1.8 pounds) most comfortable helmet Ive ever had is my 3/4 Licks NovDot. Unfortunately they only come in black or gray, but you could paint it or have it painted. Both my girlfriend and I are wearing one in my sig pic, blow it up to see it closer.

Licks NovDot - Matte Black

When I use it on the TW I got a cheap 3 snap visor for it. Instant retro dirt bike helmet
    Little Brute and Beeline like this.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you can live with a full face i can vouch for the Arai XD4. It vents very well and it comes in white and is snell 2015 certified if that's important to you....
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    Why is it that nobody offers a good chrome colored helmet? I had one years ago but it was ate up in a crash. it did the job though.
    I liked it because it was super visible and didn't heat up in the sun. The only chrome ones I see now are those stupid beanies the the gay pirate crowd wears
    in helmet required states. A good 3/4 or full helmet in chrome would be my choice.
    Interesting about the chrome reflecting heat. Certainly makes sense. That never crossed my radar...
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    TW200 "Little Brute" is gone - Waiting to see what 2016 brings (WR250R/CRF250 RALLY/KTM390/Africa Twin or E-bicycle?)

Please keep them coming!

Also, what helemt do you use? Why did you buy it? Has it met your expections?
    mudbug and jtomelliott49 like this.

Here's one I've been looking at. Don't own it so I really can't comment. I do like the retractable eye shield.

https://www.chromeburner.com/cruiser...lue-white-sk-y
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 06-11-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    Beeline and Little Brute like this.

If your just after meeting legal requirements then there are a multitude of little helmets that I doubt
    you know you have on, I've only seen black, but heck if it's just "for show" spray paint it white or chrome.
    They are cheap too.....Even ones that look like Nazi SS available if that's what your into.
    If however you wish to save your face and brain in case of falling down there great snell/dot full face helmets
    out there designed for ATV/motocross use. I happen to have a Bell Moto, flows lots of air, great visibility and it's very light.
    Smacking your noggin on asphalt even at a standstill can break it and change your whole game plan. Trying out modifycations
    might command the best in protection eh? There used to be a ad "If you have a cheap head, buy a cheap helmet"
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
    Here's one I've been looking at. Don't own it so I really can't comment. I do like the retractile eye shield.

https://www.chromeburner.com/cruiser...lue-white-sk-y
    Diesels are nice, good quality too. The only complaint Ive heard from them is they are noisy. I was wanting the black/green to go with my Air Force sporty.

Quote Originally Posted by arbolmano View Post
    There used to be a ad "If you have a cheap head, buy a cheap helmet"
    I never liked that saying. How much was your helmet? 500 bucks? 800 bucks? My heads worth more than that, I would need to buy a 16 brazillion dollar helmet
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

There's always the good old standard Bell 500. Works with flat face shield, bubble shield or goggles. http://www.bellhelmets.com/powerspor...eet/custom-500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links