New to the TW Oregon Coast
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New to the TW Oregon Coast

New to the TW Oregon Coast

Thought I'd better introduce myself.
    Gregg here ( here is Astoria Or. )
    I'm a 50 something semi retired Engineer / fabricator / small business owner.....
    I'v been a builder / rider / driver of all things off road for many years.
    Now I am the owner of a 1987 TW 200.
    The TW is one of those things that just kind of falls in ones lap once in a while.
    My wife decided that she needed more adventure in her life , in this case a Honda 300EX.
    She has a tone of experience with 4wd automatic atv's but none with sport bikes or clutches.
    The combination of the two created the need for a ride for myself that could accommodate the slower pace through the woods that we as a couple now embrace.
    While trying to decide on a suitable machine I stumbled on this incredibly ugly TW.
    The kid had shot the entire bike with olive drab paint. ALLLLLLL of it... Cables , lights , seat , all of it.
    Hence it was cheap.... ( A pre-requite for a machine I'm not planning to ride much ).
    The deal was struck ( cost me a couple of old black powder hand guns and a nice Marlin 94...)
    The bike was even ugly-er in person. But what the hell , I needed another project and have lost the love of guns I once had.....
    00P0P_almKNv5rBXv_600x450.jpg

The good news / the bike had belonged to the kids grand father for most of it's years and was in incredibly good mechanical condition.
    The bad / the kid had used a rather high quality olive drab paint , and he had shot it everywhere.
    After dismantling the bike ( a breeze as the grand father had been a maintenance fiend ) no stuck bolts on this bike, I discovered that nothing short of MEK would touch the green goo on the bike.
    I hate MEK.......
    A 5 day ordeal of chemical stripper and sand paper ensued.....
    At this point I wasn't to fond of the little fat tired machine scatter'd all over my shop. But I figured I'd at least paint and re assemble the thing and maybe give it to my daughter.
    I was originally going to paint the entire bike YZ yellow as I have a lot of that paint left over from a previous project.
    The frame was prepped and shot yellow with this plan in mind. All of the fixtures were powder coated black....
    I then decided that the plastics were not going to be worth the effort required for the yellow paint job... Green paint / chemical stripper and sanding had left them rather rough .
    Again , starting to hate this bike.... I then did something I almost never do. I decided to just throw it back together and get rid of it as a rat bike.....
    Rhino liner with a spattering of Hammeright seemed to be the best way out.
    Didn't pull the dents out of the tank , didn't replace the cables or tires ( as I had planed ) a carb kit , some sea foam and the thing was again sitting in my shop on it's tires.
    Still ugly but not as bad as it was. ( HATE IT )
    1015141171.jpg
    I had to test drive the thing ..... I just had to.....
    Should have never done that.....
    Fell in love with it..... DEEPLY....... For many reasons that I'm sure all riders of the TW are well aware of.
    So of course now I have to try to remedy all of the short cuts have taken to get this thing out of my life.
    New front tire / grips / cables / seat / paint / etc....etc...etc.
    Things left to do : rear tire / Clark tank. Re paint the frame anything but yellow.... All will be done in time....
    The little thing looks out of place in a sea oh Husqvarna , Triumph , Honda , etc. But I will keep and ride it for ever...... Cool bike.....
    1015141174.jpg

Respectfully : Gregg / TW lover....
    admiral, HKLBRY, TWilight and 3 others like this.

Good story, even if it wasn't love at first sight! I really hope you enjoy the TW and spending some quality riding time with your wife. Riding with mine is something I really look forward to. Great sharing something together we both like to do. Happy Trials!
    Boxcar likes this.

Welcome to the forum Gregg. You certainly have been busy with that little TW. They are great little bikes. Astoria's an attractive place. It's fun riding there.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I had to test drive the thing ..... I just had to.....
    Should have never done that..... Fell in love with it.....
    They'll do that to you

(Welcome to the board)
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I'd just shoot the whole darn bike with OD paint and call it good.

Congrats on discovering the TW, it really is a rather special bike.
    Boxcar likes this.

There's something about this bike that makes you hate it til you ride it. Then it sucks you in. When I got mine, it too was gonna be a fix'n'flip. And then I rode it.

The only thing that looks out of place is the yellow frame. The rest of it looks pretty cool.

BTW I'm down here in Salem. At least you're closer to some cool trails!
    Fred and Boxcar like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Took the TW to the Nicholai Mt riding aria This week end.
    Fun little bike.
    I need to get the carb sorted out. Burbals off idle.
    Other than that, it ran good.
    I found it to be a quick steering little machine though... And soft , very soft suspension.
    I will also be looking into upgrading the charging system. Seems a bit week.
    I will post up some pics later.... Gregg

The carb on this bike is easy to work on... super easy to get in and out.

Dunno what you can do with the charging system though... I have yet to find anything aftermarket to improve on it. I wanted to put heated grips on it but I'm not sure it'll handle it.
    Boxcar likes this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

I lived in Astoria in the early seventies and again for 3 years in the eighties. It is an area that begs for a TW, especially all the hills between saddle mountain and Astoria. Then there is all that stuff south of 26 going down the coast through the back country. That Oregon coast is TW heaven. Or you can cross the bridge to nowhere and explore Washington too.
    littletommy and Boxcar like this.
    Phelonius

I lived in Dundee OR for years with an XT350. They use to run ISDE enduros right out of Yamhill. I rode hundreds of miles through the costal,range starting in Yamhill. Some of the coolest trails ever!
    Boxcar likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links