Ever Run into Bears on the Trails?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Ever Run into Bears on the Trails?

Ever Run into Bears on the Trails?

Just wondering if anyone has snuck up on any bears while trailing. With the type of riding I think the TW is best suited for, poking along on old roads or trails in the hills, frequently overgrown with young Alders and with very limited visibility, I always am a bit Leary about stumbling onto a bear with Cubs, especially when alone. I have seen a few on the roads, but never run into one out on the trails.

black bears normally just ignore you and want to be left alone. Lots of them live right in anchorage and get along just fine with people even when they have cubs. As long as youre not leaving the lower 48 you have no worries. Just carry a can of pepper spray if youre concerned. Theres never a good reason to shoot a bear, and I can tell you that pepper spray will disable any threat you will come across much better than a bullet.
    ejfranz and troll like this.

I have encountered many a black bear motor biking and mountain biking and never had an issue. Most of the time they take off, a few times they have been curious and I have just revved the bike or honked the horn and they then flee. When I have come across cubs, I turn around and find a new trail to explore.
    One time I was on a switchback and startled a bear and as I came around the lower side he burst onto the road 5' in front of me making a bee line down the mountain.
    mudbug and SanDue like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have had bear tracks over my bike tracks coming back from a ride. Mother and Cubs based on the prints. In MI they are pretty anti-social. Cougar are the bigger worry, it is said if you see one it wasn't hunting you!

Never a bear up close, but saw one about 200 yds away, but not on a TW. I was mountain biking. Back when I was 12 or 13, I did hit a deer on a fast trail. Twisted my forks in the triple trees, and bent my bars, and clutch lever. I guess I was going 35 to 40 mph.
    SanDue likes this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Summer riding OBDR Route 5 east of Seneca, I stopped along the trail (was on my KLX) to wait for a friend following me. Then I noticed what I first thought was a burned-out stump along the side of road up ahead. Shortly later the stump moseyed back into the forest. I figured at that point it was a black bear.
    mudbug, Fred and SanDue like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat twinges View Post
    Cougar are the bigger worry, it is said if you see one it wasn't hunting you!
    I've read a bit on this, this statement is true. We have had sightings not too far away from me, I'll shoot one on sight if I ever have the opportunity.
    mudbug likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
    Never a bear up close, but saw one about 200 yds away, but not on a TW. I was mountain biking. Back when I was 12 or 13, I did hit a deer on a fast trail. Twisted my forks in the triple trees, and bent my bars, and clutch lever. I guess I was going 35 to 40 mph.
    You mean like this!

Fred likes this.

That was a local incident about 4 yrs back and having watched this clip dozens of times, still puzzles me to this day.

Hartebees are generally shy and will move off well before you get that close, but it's possible that these guys have become so accustomed to a human presence or there were young ones close by somewhere (both rams and ewes are horned, so difficult to be certain but I would be inclined to say it's a ewe). The puzzling part is that even at speed, that buck could have diverted with ease even in the last few paces but it held it's course and actually lunges into the rider - to my mind it was a purposeful attack.

The big question is why. Yes, it is after all a wild animal, but it's so uncharacteristic.
    Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
    It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
    And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Ever Run into Bears on the Trails?.
    No, but I've seen a few.... Pretty damn hard to sneak up on a bear if your engine is running. I'm a hell of a lot more concerned with moose! They'll hear you a long way off and be READY for you!
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 06-13-2015 at 06:31 PM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links