Can there ever be just one?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Can there ever be just one?

Question Can there ever be just one?

I was cleaning out the garage and during moments that I am doing repetitive work, my thoughts turn toward the motorbikes and my other two wheel wonders that are human powered. I've tried to come to terms that perhaps there is just one bike that will satisfy all of my needs and I wouldn't have the desire to look further. But in the past I have found it almost impossible to limit it to one. I think of bikes as tools~there is the right one for the right job. I was asked recently if I had to bug out, which bicycle would I take. I thought for a few moments and could only narrow it down to 2. When it comes to motorcycles, I have only one and so I didn't have to choose among several. However, between Mr. Dirtgirl's KLR 650 and mine, there lies the potential to feel conflicted and after a period of discussion, we agreed that my bike would probably be more suitable for our purposes as there a less moving parts to replace/repair/remove in lean times. However, with that being said, I can think of one major obstacle in dealing with the TW (should the sky fall) and that is the odd tire size. There are probably other more prominent components of the TW that are far more important to consider than odd tire sizes in said lean times, and as I become more acquainted with my bike I will familiarize myself with the quirks. But for the purpose of discussion, I feel that for me, at this time, the TW is probably as close to being THE bike for all things. My feeling is only reinforced as I wander through the showrooms as Mr Dirtgirl considers another motorcycle.

That said, it seems that there will always be the nagging thought of N +1 with N being the number of bikes.

What do you think? In your experience have you ever found THE bike as the right tool for all things?

Yes, the Swiss Army bike! Sorry couldn't resist. Now on with the thread...
    dirtgirl likes this.

Kinda depends on what you wish to do. Multiple hours at freeway speeds isn't going to work out on a TW.
    Plunking down a dirt trail isn't going to work well with a Harley. Compromises are just that. Proper limits
    sure one bike can do it all. But. for me, I appreciate having the proper tool for the job at hand. Don't like taking TW on
    65 Mph freeways ( or even asphalt really) and don't like taking the BMW on trails. Both are capable but I just don't find enjoyable.
    Mattwings likes this.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Lets see - no!
    I have not found the one motorbike or bicycle to do it all.
    Currently I have 3 motorcycle ( I did have 7 at one point, but my wife said I had too get rid of some ) and 4 bicycles.
    I would like to add a honda cb500x to the stable as a more street orientated with some gravel road travel after a skid plate is added.
    I would also like one of the enduro trials hybrid bikes ( KTM free ride, Sherco X ride or Ossa Explorer ) but as they are not street legal here I will stick with the TW.
    As for bicycles, the Norco Shinobi comes close, but it is not high enough geared for road riding.
    LTCirabisi likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Yep it never ends. I'm always putting my bikes for sale then cancelling the ad, looking at other bikes, falling in love, trying something else, ride mine on a good day and forget why I had it for sale, buy, sell, swap ......... what the hell is wrong with me?
    dirtgirl likes this.

I was even looking at a ZERO electric bike earlier today. I'm living with the TW for TW stuff and a Buell for Buell stuff. I need a skinny tired snow bike for the snow and ice stuff too.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

I think I could be content with a TW, a KTM 500 EXC, and a FZ9.
    Hekkler likes this.

I would agree with you on the TW for post apocaliptic use, but, for modern use today, the KLR will do everything (poorly). the key word is everything.
    If I take my TW out on the 80 MPH speedlimit interstates around here, I would be a serious road hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    I would agree with you on the TW for post apocaliptic use...If I take my TW out on the 80 MPH speedlimit interstates around here, I would be a serious road hazard.
    I agree that the TW is not ideal for the busy highways with speed limits of 65+. However, on those quiet back country roads....

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    Yep it never ends. I'm always putting my bikes for sale then cancelling the ad, looking at other bikes, falling in love, trying something else, ride mine on a good day and forget why I had it for sale, buy, sell, swap .....
    You and Mr Dirtgirl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links