So... What gear do You wear?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: So... What gear do You wear?

So... What gear do You wear?

Went for a 4 hour ride late this morning. It was really too late in the day already because the temps were rocketing upward and the humidity made it worse. Luckily, I was moving most of the time, so my Coretech jacket and Under Armor t-shirt helped to keep me cool. But once I got home and saw how RED my hands were, I remembered why I should have taken more time to dig through my bike closet to find light weight gloves. Sunburns suck. Curse of the red-head In the heat of summer, usually I'll forgo the jacket and just wear a long sleeve shirt, cargo pants and wear lots of SPF 100 sunblock. But I realize riding dirt tracks are a hell of a lot more hazardous than cruising down the back roads on a bagger.

So what gear do you guys wear for summer riding? The all-season Coretech has armor in it, making it versitile and not overwhelmingly stifling in the summer. But what kind of gloves do you wear? What kind of boots? Do you wear a full-face dirtbike helmet, or a 3/4 or a shorty? Do your gloves have knuckle armor? Have you ever had a spill and been immensely grateful for the gear you had on at the time (not counting a helmet because that's a given). What stuff do you have, but wish you'd spent a little more to upgrade to better quality?
    mudbug and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

For the hot days I will either wear either my Infinit Sports mesh armoured jacket or my six six one armoured top.
    For gloves I will wear one of the many off road motorbike / mountain bike gloves.
    For pant I wear a pair of Thor off road pants with vents.
    For boots Gaerne G-Adventure Boots.
    If going off road a full face helmut with duck bill, if in town an open face and if on the hiway another full face.
    When it is cooler I have another adventure jacket and have other gloves.
    For boots I have the motocross - don't were much as they are hard to walk in and have a pair of shorty street boots.
    Just got back from a sweltering ride and all the gear is in the sun drying out.

Never ride without protection.
    littletommy likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Im sure Ill be the minimalist in the bunch.

On my sporty I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

On the the road with my TW I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

Off road with my TW I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

I see a trend forming

As things start to cool down I do own full face helmets, a lined armored jacket, lined armored pull over pants. But if it gets too cold I dont ride because its not enjoyable and I ride for enjoyment. I am looking into some waterproof boots, mine are not waterproof and thats not good.
    Hekkler, mudbug, WECSOG and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Jackets: Scorpion XDR - Good 3 season jacket, waterproof (mostly). Bearable up to about 80F. Loads of pockets. Has a neat removable neck ruff for cold weather riding.
    Alpinestars armored leather jacket. No idea what model it is. I gave up trying to find a leather jacket without a bunch of @*#&% holes in it and told my neighborhood store to find me one. Good from about 55F (with a liner) - 85F (stay moving)
    Speed & Strength mesh armored jacket. Great above 70F, useless under that. It's like wearing an armored T-shirt. Hot weather only.
    Gloves: Alpinestars Overland Drystars Very toasty. Waterproof as long as you have dry hands putting them on and remember to tuck the gauntlet [i]inside[/] your sleeve.
    Speed & Strength mesh short cuff gloves. Good airflow, padded knuckles. I only wear these off road.
    Teknic Violators (the version minus the @#$! holes). Main street riding gloves. A short step away from being a full race gauntlet they have the hard knuckles, kangaroo palm, palm sliders, etc. Just missing the pinky finger wrap. You'll have to pray for a pair on FleaBay as Teknic sadly went out of business
    Joe Rocket Highside 2.0 Backup pair in case the gloves I set out in get soaked. Lightweight leather, padded knuckles.
    Pants: Tourmaster Overpants: Very nice 3 season (4 if it's pouring) over-your-jeans drawers. Hard knee armor, extra hip padding. Took 2 years for the dreaded crotch leak to show up so I'm suitably impressed.
    Boots Hoffman's Lineman Hiker. I'm used to the weight of a line boot, but most others would call it awful. The hikers have breathable panels to keep the heat reasonable, with dual steel shanks you'll have no idea why everyone complains about the stock footpegs. Good all-purpose boot, should last for quite awhile. Mine are an their 6th year.
    Sidi Vortex offroad boots. Excellent construction, took forever and a day to break in. I bought them 8-10 years ago and just this year broke a buckle. Still wearing 'em. Kinda skinny in the calf area.
    Sidi Vertebra road boots. Also excellent construction, bought at the same time as the off road boots. Still going strong. Feels like wearing bedroom slippers with extra protection. No arch support, insoles recommended if you're going to be doing a lot of off-bike walking.
    Helmets: [u]Shoei Neotec Borealis Flip front, nice around town doing your errands lid. The added integral sun visor is nice, comes equipped witha pin lock shield. Noisy as all get out at road speed
    Shoei RF 1100 Excellent fit and finish, vents work very well to keep your head cool. Quiet at speed. (my current one is trash, thusly the Borealis. I'll be replacing the battered RF 1100 soon)
    Fly Trekker Off road helmet. It's white, it was cheap. I don't like it much, there are a pair of pressure points at the front that disagree with my skull. It'll do for the meantime.
    Fulmer Apache Spare full face. Nice fit & finish. Not as quiet as the Shoei, but reasonable.
    Fulmer No idea what model spare off-road helmet. Goggles don't work well with glasses si it was relegated to the shelf.
    Misc Fly offroad pants/jersey/chestplate combo for happy fun times in the mud.
    Thor knee/shin guards
    Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 Heated jacket liner
    Frogg Toggs Packable, breathable waterproof. Awesome.
    Carharrt Bibs and Black Duck jacket. Not technically bike gear, but for the fall run through the Allegheny Nat'l Forest they're highly recommended.

I've probably forgot a bunch of stuff, but that's the basic list. For preference I like gauntleted gloves and you'll never catch me in a shorty helmet. My face isn't anything to write home about, but I'd like to keep it.
    Last edited by Hidebound; 06-15-2015 at 05:50 AM.
    LuvNot and littletommy like this.
    '01 TW200, '03 Z1000, '09 KLR 650, '13 CRF250L

I've been wearing gloves that come with palm sliders in case u have a getoff, reducing wrist fractures and reduces strain on the leather and stitching. Knox and branda that feature the Knox scaphoid protection sliders afe amazing. They feature dual palm sliders and their sliders are round and stick out enough so make contact with the pavement easily.
    mudbug and littletommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TWROG View Post
    Im sure Ill be the minimalist in the bunch.

On my sporty I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

On the the road with my TW I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

Off road with my TW I wear a 3/4 helmet, riding glasses, leather palmed mesh gloves, T shirt, jeans, work boots (see my sig pic).

I see a trend forming

As things start to cool down I do own full face helmets, a lined armored jacket, lined armored pull over pants. But if it gets too cold I dont ride because its not enjoyable and I ride for enjoyment. I am looking into some waterproof boots, mine are not waterproof and thats not good.
    I am exactly the same as TWROG except swap the glasses for SCOTT goggles and swap the leather palmed mesh gloves with pig hide work gloves and I have a Bell full face. The only actual riding gear I own is my helmet and goggles.
    littletommy likes this.

Ive actually been looking for googles. And work gloves? When it starts to get a little cooler I wear them. It was in the low 50s in this pic during my Ironbutt ride.

Just noticed another, when its colder I wear chaps. Dont like wearing them much......makes me look too much like a Harley guy But hey, they were free
    Hekkler, mudbug and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

I have three mesh jackets, a Fox Titan armored (mesh) jacket, mesh pants, various lightweight gloves, but the boots aren't lightweight at all... Sidi Crossfire 2's if it's intense riding, Sidi Adventures if less intense, and some Sedici street boots if I'm just running around town on errands.

If I wear the Titan armored jacket, I'll wear one of those cool-max undershirts beneath it, and a jersey over it (to keep the dust off), and if the riding is especially intense, I have Klim pants with huge vents that I'll wear with knee braces; otherwise my mesh (street) pants do just fine in the dirt with their built-in armor.

My helmet is usually my GMax GM68 (regular street helmet) which has a TON of big vents so it cools very well. Never cared for MX helmets except for snowmobiling.
    littletommy, ZDR1 and DANo896 like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Depends on the ride.. On the tw i usually wear aerostich pants, asolo hiking boots, nexgen jacket and either a fly trekker or shoei rf900 helmet and a pair of gauntlet sport bike gloves. If its really hot and its just me and the wife cruising back roads at 35mph or less on the scooter than i pretty much wear shorts, tshirt and gloves with safety glasses. Im glad i live in Indiana where we dont have helmet laws and can own any guns we want.. Merica!!
    littletommy likes this.

I wear Motocross gear. THH MX helmet or AFX FX-39 Dual Sport helmet. Alpinestars Tech 5 boots, MX pants (have 5 pairs Answer, MSR, FLY, Moose, Fox), Fox Dirt Paw gloves, and a MX Jersey or sweatshirt when cooler, or my 3/4 length Tourmaster Enduro jacket when cold out.
    littletommy likes this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links