Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Everything Big Guys/noobs ask

Everything Big Guys/noobs ask

For heads up. I am 5'8" 265#

General good add ons for bigger riders

-Big Rider Upgrades

i have a big belly. I want a nice quality armor shirt, I am aiming for shoulder, chest, and back protection at minimum. Elbow and forearm would be great. I am not one to wear jackets, i sweat as it is, i just wanna toss it over a tanktop and toss a jersey on top of that and scoot off to work.

-First suggestion/option: fly flux air mesh jacket

- Second Suggestion, an armored shirt that goes upto 4x! expect to pay between $150 and $190 Here is the EVS G6 Lite Ballistic jersey Here is the Regular G6 Ballistic jersey

Not really a big guy questions

Gearing suggestions for the bike? I've read just go to 15 in the front and call it good, then i hear go 14/47.

- All questions you might have should be in there, if not ask in there

- If your feeling the need to work on your bike and run dual sprockets, we have that here

I cant deal with no tach. Whats a good one for a beginner to install.... if it has a digital speedo thats a plus.

- You can have both here at trailtech!

- You can find the same option above with more things for your TW HERE

Tires. aaaaand go. prefer tried and true.

-Stock front tire fine if you stay on pavement, not so if you get into
    softer stuff.

-Front Tire Choices

- Everything you need to know about ATV tires and the TW200

- Run a Fat tire in the back AND UP FRONT!

O-ring chains as good as they say? will it make a big difference? What mileage should I expect to change the stocker?

-A good o-ring chain will not only last much much longer than standard but you get less mess as you do not need to lube as much. Expect to pay like $75 for a chain. You can find one here

Best Modifications/upgrades to make?

- CycleRack Rear Rack is pretty famous around here and is recommended as it not only functions great as a rack but also provides some protection for your blinkers, exhaust, and brake light.

Can I have a KickStart on my newer bike?

- Begin here for where to start with those.
    - Another Good thread with more infor on EXACT parts needed

Can the little TW200 Be used for adventure?

- Fear not, there is a thread for that as well Guide to Building an Adventure read TW200

I ask some of these knowing some answers, i have done alot of my own searching on the forums. some things i cant find. others i have. Maybe it will make a good sticky post. I do see alot of repeat questions. I may have missed a few common ones, i'll edit and make sure post is updated as needed.

Also one of my first new posts outside of my introduction, I see alot of older posts, and I see you guys have a real tight-knit community, I also see some fallen brethren . I send my respect, and hopefully I can attribute to this community to make some of them and you proud
    Last edited by LTCirabisi; 06-17-2015 at 10:17 PM.
    There are 2 types of people without a beard in this world, women and children.

Quote Originally Posted by LTCirabisi View Post
    i have a big belly. I want a nice quality armor shirt, I am aiming for shoulder, chest, and back protection at minimum. Elbow and forearm would be great. I am not one to wear jackets, i sweat as it is, i just wanna toss it over a tanktop and toss a jersey on top of that and scoot off to work.
    I have you beat, 5'9 and 300# here. I bought a 3x Fly Racing Flux Air Mesh jacket. Here's an example on ebay (many colors available): Fly Racing Flux Air Mesh Textile Motorcycle Jacket Hi Vis Black Choose Size | eBay

It's not a "shirt" like you were asking but is plenty cool to ride in, even on a hot day, long as you are moving, lets air in all over everywhere. Also comes with a zip-in liner that would give you wind/rain protection on a chilly or wet day. The armor is removable and upgradable. I got a 3XL and it fits me beautifully. I love it.
    Last edited by SickPuppy76; 06-15-2015 at 08:31 PM.
    littletommy, mudbug and LTCirabisi like this.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by SickPuppy76 View Post

It's not a "shirt" like you were asking but is plenty cool to ride in, even on a hot day, long as you are moving, lets air in all over everywhere.

THats awesome! thanks for the info! I figure asking for an armor shirt gives a great idea of how cool i want to stay.
    SickPuppy76 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've updated and researched a bit more, let me know if I should add any links or info!

Welcome to the club! I would advise staying with stock gearing until you see a need to change. It's a good comprimise
    with the wide ratio 5 speed. A smaller countershaft sprocket will induce higher chain wear. A good o-ring chain will not only last much much longer than standard but you get less mess as you do not need to lube as much. Expect to pay like $75 for a chain.
    Mesh gear is great! You can increase the cooling factor by putting a wet t shirt on underneath. Stock front tire fine if you stay on pavement, not so if you get into
    softer stuff. I think the TW is an ultimate "adventure bike" but with limits. Not too great at the extremes like extended 55mph highway travel or really gnarly technical trails. There's a whole thread dedicated to TWs at ADVrider Adding a kick start is an excellent idea. Adding a digital tach shouldn't be too hard but it's not needed, reasonably hard to over rev the engine, valve float works to prevent any damage although for engine braking this doesn't apply. My vote for the handiest improvement would be a rear rack.
    LTCirabisi likes this.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

From the last post I understand you have to be careful not to over rev the engine when braking on the engine, right? Could it cause a lot of damage?
    Didn't know that, but then again, there is more I don't know than do know I guess...

Changing to taller (higher) gearing will allow you to cruise at a higher speed with the same level of stress on the engine but decrease power at any given speed in x gear, while lower gearing will give more power but decrease your reasonable cruise speed (by increasing engine stress at any given speed). Stock gearing is spot-on perfect if you don't need to go over 55 and don't feel like you need to sacrifice 55 mph cruising ability for more power.

The www.cycleracks.com rear rack is a fantastic product that is very well built and strong, and doubles as both a leverage point for man-handling the bike, and as armor for your exhaust, turn signals, etc. I've had them on all three of my dual sports and will probably buy another for my next dual sport.
    Last edited by kj7687; 06-16-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    LTCirabisi likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Let me know if there is any other questions I should add that are frequently asked that I have not come up with. I have copied and pasted some responses i've seen from here and other places, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO GIVE CREDIT ON THAT SAID STOLEN TEXT! I intend to give full credit at bottom once this list is complete.

Just thought of a question someone new like me might ask, What are the common issues expected to run into? I'll add it after i get some answers.

Nicely organised links LTC, thanks for all your effort.
    Armour mesh shirts are very good for hot weather, can be wetted as Arbolmano suggests. I like a t-shirt underneath wetted occasionally from my water bottle or a trailside stream or lake. I would recogmend getting a larger windbreaker/ shell to fit over bulky armour just in case it gets cold. I also have started the day with polypropylene thermal underwear top underneath that I remove as morning heats up.
    HKLBRY likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTCirabisi View Post
    For heads up. I am 5'8" 265#

General good add ons for bigger riders

-Big Rider Upgrades

I use this: EVS ballistic jersey, seen here: Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gear, Helmets & Accessories - RevZilla. I got it because it was the only one like it in a really big guy 4X, and I like to run a jersey over top too. You can see me wearing this set up in many of the 2015 Moab threads, including this one: https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...tml#post177809

It is spendy, but I love it.
    littletommy and LTCirabisi like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links