At the 'proverbial' crossroads... - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: At the 'proverbial' crossroads...

So, the weather is hot. Lots of Atgatt people I've listened to talk of not wearing All The Gear All The Time in Florida "because it's so hot". I can't fault them. I lived in the dessert. Here is my real point: The TW200 is comfortable compared to other bikes in the heat!
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

You are just east of the Everglades Wildlife Management area and should be able to ride there. I just rode in Richloam WMA in Polk county and had a blast, look into the area first but hunting season is Nov-Apr( I think) so then would not be a good time.
    I am I and I may not know why but I know that I like it. Dr. Seuss
    15 TW, 06 Ural Patrol and 89 Honda Transalp

Quote Originally Posted by OurDee View Post
    So, the weather is hot. Lots of Atgatt people I've listened to talk of not wearing All The Gear All The Time in Florida "because it's so hot". I can't fault them. I lived in the dessert. Here is my real point: The TW200 is comfortable compared to other bikes in the heat!
    I have to still frown at them. There are still plenty of ways to stay cool (often cooler) in the heat with proper gear. Mesh jackets, mesh pants, cooling vests, vented boots, etc. And they'll actually keep you cooler than going in a t-shirt and shorts because the sun isn't directly on you, and the wind flowing through them creates an air conditioning effect.
    GTG likes this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I have to still frown at them. There are still plenty of ways to stay cool (often cooler) in the heat with proper gear. Mesh jackets, mesh pants, cooling vests, vented boots, etc. And they'll actually keep you cooler than going in a t-shirt and shorts because the sun isn't directly on you, and the wind flowing through them creates an air conditioning effect.
    I kinda take issue with that, as someone who's melted down in the sun under my allegedly-ventilated armored riding coat.

Few riders would spend the money for cooling equipment. I know what you're talking about - I crossed South Dakota on my GS in 110 heat, and NOTHING short of a water-truck alongside, spraying me down, would have alleviated that heat. (I was wearing my gear that day; the sun on bare arms would have been hotter.)

Unpopular as it is, the best answer I can think of...is just wait for cooler weather. Extreme heat is a better reason to go by cage, than cold.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    The beauty of Florida is there are tons of places to ride. Not only the typical "off-road" areas, but also lots of abandoned housing developments, backroads, and secondary roads.
    For off-road, check out: Where to Ride / Off Highway Vehicles (OHV) / Recreation / Florida Forest Service / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
    The only BAD part about Florida... besides the oppressive heat and humidity in summertime, is the wintertime Blue-Hair-Bobber season. Between college students forgetting how to apply brakes and octogenarians forgetting where the accelerator is located, traffic can be hell.
    My personal opinion... keep the TW until you decide you want to ride a motorcycle there at all. If you do decide to become one with the seasonal road hazards, then gear that puppy up for the road and enjoy the ability to whip out of the way when needed.
    You forgot the part about FL is flat as a f___ing pancake with the highest elevation in the state being 345 feet above sea level. I very much dislike Florida for many reasons but that was probably one of the main things aside from waking up from a nap in a pool of your own sweat.
    littletommy likes this.

It's ultimately their decision, naturally.

I've been in heat like that too. I rode back to SoCal from the Sequoia NP area one July... so basically from Bakersfield to San Bernardino basically, and it was 100+ the whole way. It was like riding in a blast furnace. And I had my full mesh gear on. I still need a cooling vest -- the type you soak in water and then put on under your jacket. Those things work wonders. But I also agree, waiting for cooler weather is a good idea when you can.
    littletommy likes this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Hekkler View Post
    You forgot the part about FL is flat as a f___ing pancake with the highest elevation in the state being 345 feet above sea level. I very much dislike Florida for many reasons but that was probably one of the main things aside from waking up from a nap in a pool of your own sweat.
    I grew up in Florida... east coast, from Miami up to Fort Pierce (lived in various places along that region). HATED it. Couldn't be out of there soon enough. I even traded it for three years in Omaha Fucking Nebraska, which actually is slightly better (barely), mainly due to less humidity and fewer old people. Those were my Air Force days. Since then I've been here in the west where there's lots of scenery, mostly awesome weather, and lots of places to ride. You couldn't pay me to live in, or even VISIT Florida now.
    littletommy and Hekkler like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

For a few years, I built ships in Alabama and Louisiana. I hated it there it was so hot, but you have to do what you have to do. Being a slightly rotund kind of fellow in that heat, I used to look like I fell in the pool, no kidding. You know it's hot when the sweat has run down your legs, soaked your socks and now the sweat is coming out of the stitching of your work boots. Being inside the unfinished ships steel hull with the sun beating down on it didn't help either. I can imagine the welding helmet, leather sleeves and bib, leather gloves and fire in my face all day might have contributed to it as well. Please Lord, don't ever send me there again!
    Hekkler likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    It's ultimately their decision, naturally.

I've been in heat like that too. I rode back to SoCal from the Sequoia NP area one July... so basically from Bakersfield to San Bernardino basically, and it was 100+ the whole way. It was like riding in a blast furnace. And I had my full mesh gear on. I still need a cooling vest -- the type you soak in water and then put on under your jacket. Those things work wonders. But I also agree, waiting for cooler weather is a good idea when you can.
    I never heard of those. Know any links?

Cyclegear.com

Search for cooling vest, there are 2 of them. One is on sale now. They do work. Or soak your T-shirt under your vented jacket.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponosred Links