At the 'proverbial' crossroads...
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: At the 'proverbial' crossroads...

At the 'proverbial' crossroads...

Now that Im in Miramar, FL, I don't suspect I'll be seeing any trails anytime soon, at least not without having to carry the bike somewhere, so here are the 2 options I'm looking at:

Modifying the bike strictly for street, i.e. tires, sprocket, and the list goes on

or

Just selling it and getting a road bike.

I haven't ridden around here yet to see if it can really handle the traffic or not. I don't plan on hitting any interstates and the area around where I live, west of turnpike and I95, have all speed limits set below 50. I could to a full mod to the bike I guess, I just don't know if I want to spend that much time in the garage working on it.

thoughts? Is this bike even sellable down here?

A TW will sell anywhere I think. With 50mph speeds around you, I'd probably keep the bike. It's cheaper than getting a new one, unless you really want one. I would leave the tires on the bike and use them rather than buy street tires for now. Eventually you will find if you like the TW riding there and can decide from there. You could just leave the bike with 14/50 (if that's what you have) since it does well with stock gearing at those speeds or just change the rear sprocket to a 47 or so. Just my opinion.
    plumbstraight likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

If you can have only one bike, and you are sure that you will be doing only on-road riding, I suspect you will be happier with another bike.

IMO, the problem with the TW is not the top speed, but the time it takes to get up to speed.

jb
    TWROG and DonBenito like this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My bike is as fast as a 1200cc Sportster up to about 40-45mph. Isn't that fast enough to keep up down there?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Yeah I hate to say it too, but a street bike might be the answer. Who knows... you might get the bug to ride down to Key West. I wouldn't do that on a TW if you paid me.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Here in California anyway, 55mph means everybody travels 60-65. Right around reasonable
    top speed for a TW. No reserve for passing and you can't maintain speed on a hill. Not a safe
    situation IMHO. The lowness of the TW is great for riding but not so great for being visible
    to vehicles trying to kill you. So if your doing much riding at all on 55 mph roads, you'd do better
    on a different bike. Even a 250 dual sport with narrower tires would be fine.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Tonto on the "Left Coast"
    1987 TW200 (2) 2015 BMW F700GS
    More Wagging and less Barking
    "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think"
    Make Love not War

If you are planning on riding with the Blue Hairs and Crazy Drugged ups in Florida, that is taking your life in your hands, regardless of what you are riding....Street Riding in Florida is akin to being a Christian tossed to the Lions back in the Old Biblical Days....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I know it is like blasphemy on a "real motorcycle" site. But for around town my ride of choice is my Zuma 50 scooter. No registration, or insurance, reasonable storage for a couple bags of groceries, a hook to hang a couple more if needed. Fuel injected, 130+ mpg, good acceleration off the line (for a scooter) about 40 MPH top speed. Even does a little gentle offroad.
    Last edited by sponge; 06-19-2015 at 06:37 PM.

A lot of the bike company's have low down and interest right now, I would get a Honda CB500 and sale the TW if it was me. but if was me I would keep the TW.

The beauty of Florida is there are tons of places to ride. Not only the typical "off-road" areas, but also lots of abandoned housing developments, backroads, and secondary roads.
    For off-road, check out: Where to Ride / Off Highway Vehicles (OHV) / Recreation / Florida Forest Service / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
    The only BAD part about Florida... besides the oppressive heat and humidity in summertime, is the wintertime Blue-Hair-Bobber season. Between college students forgetting how to apply brakes and octogenarians forgetting where the accelerator is located, traffic can be hell.
    My personal opinion... keep the TW until you decide you want to ride a motorcycle there at all. If you do decide to become one with the seasonal road hazards, then gear that puppy up for the road and enjoy the ability to whip out of the way when needed.
    Smitty Blackstone and mudbug like this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links