Oldie tires
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Oldie tires

Oldie tires

Seeing a few posts on tires. My bike has the original 25 year old tires. I notice when I push the bike around the back tire/ suspension bounces slightly. I also notice when I slow down rapidly from 60km/h my suspension bounces a bit. I'm assuming it's my old tires that have sat for many years. My father thinks the rear axle is slightly bent but it seems to spin true. They aren't cracked bad I've only rode about 2 hours on it, will they ballence themselves out? Should I replace?
    Last edited by will; 06-21-2015 at 07:44 PM.

replace!
    They are a hazard on the road
    If you just ride trails then you could ride them until they fail
    JustPassinThru and TWilight like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

25 year old tires? Wow, we are going to tease you about them mercilessly...things like "park with the flat spot on top for the next 25 years you'll be O.K".

You could prop the bike up on a stand of some sort and spin the tires looking for any serious eccentricity or out-of-roundness to help evaluate health of your tires. At same time remove and inspect axle to assuage your father's concerns r.e. bent axle if you like. However unless axle's nut is very loose the axle should never rotate nor cause the "bounce".
    Since it is your first motorcycle and these things can hurt you in a mishap I would argue strongly for newer, safer tires. They are much cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.
    LuvNot, will, Dryden-Tdub and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

When I first got my 87, it had the original tires. I could feel each knobby as it rolled along just like your bouncing. It's probably just the rock hard tires. The bike almost sang as it went down the road. No question about it, replace them.
    ejfranz, grewen and TWilight like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Yes, replace them.

Being frugal, I like to get every bit of use out of my tires...but...

On my 2005, I thought I had steering head bearing problems, thought I had bent forks....but is wasn't.

It was only a rock-hard old front tire. A new tire made all the difference...handled like a new bike.

jb
    littletommy and TWilight like this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I've had a few dates with the pavement from popping wheelies on dirt bikes, not a fun time. I'm getting the bike registered so I will replace them when I do this.IMG_20150621_194556149.jpgIMG_20150621_194609372.jpg
    littletommy likes this.

Thanks for the replies I like to get every last mile out of my tires being a cheapo

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    Thanks for the replies I like to get every last mile out of my tires being a cheapo

It's not worth it bro, replace them asap for your safety. We really hate losing members here. Just sayin...
    TWilight likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    Should I replace?
    Though I can't argue with the wisdom expressed by others, when I replace tires the cord is showing through. Age cracks, hard rubber, out of round / balance, I just adjust my speed down a little and continue on my way. I have yet to have one fail.

Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation. This is what I would do under the same or similar circumstances. You must decide for yourself. Good luck.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Dry rot is nothing to mess with. About four years ago, I had an old-but-unused/garaged utility trailer...had one of those like-new tires fail on the road. While my R1200GS was on it.

On the Interstate. With no spare.

First, it tore the fark out of the fender. THEN, of course I had to unhook the trailer on the side of the road...and hope to God the BMW didn't get stolen. But...point is...old tires will fail. The rubber will just split with stress, and next you know, bad stuff is happening.

If you're just going to cruise the neighborhood at low speeds, you can get away with it. Anything faster than 25, or in traffic AT ALL...change them! Trust me, you do NOT want to go down with a sudden failure in traffic! How much is your body worth to you?
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links