This things growing on me.
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Tinybear
  • 1 Post By ejfranz
  • 3 Post By plumbstraight

Thread: This things growing on me.

This things growing on me.

I thinking I really really likin this bike. When I first got it I thought she's a fun little beast. But after my first commute I was really nervouse. It's really really slow and the gearing though exactly what I want off road leaves me Reving out in 5th when I doing 80km/hr though it can drag my considerable mass up to 105km/hr. I did get the bike for trail work but realistically it is used a a cheap commuter more often.

But after a week commuting now I kinda relaxing a bit and just cruising into work relaxed after all speed limits all the way to work are 50 or 60 Km/Hr. So I seem to put in around 65 and just enjoy it for what it is and then usually play around in the dirt yard out back of work for a bit and that is a lot of fun

This bike is sooooooo light and easy to ride compared to the DR650 it replaces. The DR I always seemed to hooligan about on, it seemed to beg to be ridden that way and I was bound to get myself in trouble on it. Off road the DR was a handful and when things did go off course it was a HUGE work out for me to get back on track, after mostly severing one leg in 2012 I no were near as strong as I once was :-(.

Going to take the TW this weekend to one of the sandy trails I really struggled to do on the DR and see how she goes. If I get the chance is love to mount up my camera to the bike for some video.

Have a Clark tank and a quite core for the DG exhaust on the way. Next thing I be looking for I think will be new rubber and a chain I suppose. Not sure what tire to run on front no issues with stocker yet but read it's not the greatest dirt option. Torn for the front tire between the Shinko 241s or the 244s. Rear as its on the street I will replace with another stocker I think.
    Last edited by Tinybear; 06-22-2015 at 04:13 PM.
    TWilight, littletommy and ejfranz like this.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

If you were closer and Canada Post was not a rip off, I would give you my Golden Boy (from what I can find it is the same as the 244).
    I hate that tire! but that may be do to the roots, rock and mud here on the west coast.
    littletommy likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Golden Boy/244 Same thing.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Really appreciate the thought thanx. But I can manage ok and I'm sure you can sell your tire locally or even benefit some one more local/in need.

What is it you not liking about the 244/golden boy if you don't mind me asking. And also what is it you run/prefer.

i ride street 14kms a day commuting at about 65-80kms/hr. And then for trails I truck the bike to either a softish sand trail, rock trails with a bit of mud, or dirt/grass tracks. So really I kinda ride bit everything.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

The Shinko 244 is working good for me. It is not noisy on asphalt and seems to hold well on side-hill tracks where one side of the tire is holding and the other is not touching dirt.

The OEM tire is the one I hate. Its got almost no side tread and howls on the street. Also, the one I replaced was over 20 years old. Not good.

So, what's your negative experiences with the 244?

The tire has no traction in mud of any type and slips out on roots.
    My son and I were riding in Kamloops this spring and the temperature was just above freezing and the snow was melting and there was either snow or mud in many places. Every wet rut in the road and the front would wash out. My son had a hoot watching me struggle to keep the bike upright. If he was in the lead he would pull over to watch the spectacle he knew was about to happen. I tried different pressures and it would just not grip.
    I have also ridden with guys who have had them on the rear and in the first mud hole they are stuck. I have also had one on the back of my WR and have had to get help getting out of a large mud hole I usually have no issues with running a D606 or MT43.
    The tire looks aggressive, but in the conditions I ride it just has not worked. I know lots of guy who run them on their bigger bikes that do not do trails and they love them.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I see some folks going to the trials type tire. I have the stocker on two of my bikes and a shinko 244 on one. The shinko is great on pavement, but that stocker on dry soft sand is way better. Having a narrower tire up front is not as hard to push and in mud it seems to dig in a bit better to hold rather than float. That 244 looks good on there, but in my opinion doesn't perform as expected. Kind of remindes me of some girlfriends of days long gone lol.
    Mrs. Admiral, Purple and GTG like this.

Sponosred Links