Too big for a TW?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Too big for a TW?

Too big for a TW?

So in finally to a point where I'm ready to buy a bike and learn how to ride. I've been researching for months different bikes mainly TWs and DR200s.
    I've never been on a bike so I have signed up for the state ran 3 day beginner course which I will be taking next month. I'm planning on cruising around town and on some sate highways (55-60) and of corse hitting some dirt.
    Chatting with some local guys I know that ride and telling them about my bike they insisted that a 200cc wouldn't have the grunt I would need. I'm 30 short with a 29 inch inseam and around 240# I would guess?
    My question to the pros...AM I TOO FAT FOR A TW?!
    They all suggest I get a plated KTM 4 stroke 250, DRZ400,xt250 ect...
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

If I was going to run around state highways at 60 mph with a 29 inch inseam I would get a FI XT-250 and a sergeant low seat.
    And change out the cheap Ching sing tires.
    Last edited by ZDR1; 06-23-2015 at 08:48 PM.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

This is just down the road...hug miles but looks like it's been taken care of...
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075076

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Can't see the link without signing up.

I was born and raised on light weight, high powered, long suspensioned two strokes. Loved them, do to this day. Made you feel like you had wings. They are the bikes that the saying "gas it when you're in trouble" came from. Graduated to something I could ride after retiring from racing. Big Red Pigs. (BRPs) They are/were great. Putt around, gas it when you got into trouble, and sometimes you ended up in more trouble. Plus, as time went on, I kept falling over. It got to the point I could hardly get out from under the damn thing with out someone else's help, and then when I did, I couldn't pick the damn thing up. Too much work for me.

Love this little TW. I can touch the ground, ...on both sides, ....AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

I'm DMS (Damn Near Sixty). Get the TW and change out the tires, to a Pirelli MT 21 Rally cross for the front (140/80-18 ) and a good ATV tire (Duro Power Grip) 26X8-14 for the back.

You, as a beginner will be able to go places the BRPs can go, but you will go in control and with confidence, ....

You'll be able to leap tall buildings with a single bound, more faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, ...

LOOK!,

UP IN THE SKY!

IT'S HYTERMAN!
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 06-23-2015 at 10:10 PM.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

If you are only occasionally going to hit the highway or for short periods of time, the TW will be just right for you. Weight isn't a problem for you. I've got a hundred pounds on you. Plus the biggest recorded weight of a TW rider was 585 believe it or not. As mentioned above, the TW will be much more user friendly.

By the way, Welcome to the forum.
    jtomelliott49 and WECSOG like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Lol, a lightweight asking if a TW could take him on. Hyter, just ride it like you stole it. As long as you don't have a sudden stoppage like a tree, rock or drop it off a cliff it will haul you most anywhere you point it. I have many lbs on you and mine have not complained at all.

Thanks for joining us. Greatest forum on the web. You might be so good as to let us know what part of the earth you call home.

rbm
    Hello and welcome! What they said^^.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Thanks guys for the reassurance and for the warm welcome!
    Devil your a hoot lol HYTERMAN I like!
    I'm from central Kentucky...lots of exploring to be done around here in the Daniel Boone National forest. Also I'm a transporter and would love to be able to load the bike up with me on some runs and do some exploring away from home when I'm on the road and have some down time.
    Here is the wife's jeep. We are avid off roaders and campers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6'4" and 300 lbs. TW works like a hot damm for me

for me.
    littletommy likes this.

Hello Hyter, Just a word of caution about motorcycle buddies that recommend bigger more powerful bikes to a beginner. The "you need a bigger bike to get you out of trouble" is OK if you have experience but a more powerful bike can also get you into trouble that you aren't ready to deal with. My son wanted to start riding and he's pretty big (about 270) so he wanted to start on my Yamaha Vmax. After his initial MSF training (on a 125cc bike) I took him to a parking lot to ride the Vmax. He only did that a few times and never did take it on the street. The TW was fine for him.

Either the TW or XT250 would be great but of course I prefer the TW
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links