What Tips Do You Use To Keep Yourself Safe On The Road?
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree409Likes

Thread: What Tips Do You Use To Keep Yourself Safe On The Road?

Exclamation What Tips Do You Use To Keep Yourself Safe On The Road?

FIRST WATCH THIS VIDEO

Look at 2 minutes, 45 seconds or so. If you want to see the gory stuff, it's towards the end.

This is a must see video and a must read thread for all bike riders everywhere.

Here are mine, that I follow every time I am riding my bike. I also follow these rules driving my car.

Number 1.
    Never ride faster than you can stop within the distance you can see, ever, period.

Number 2.
    Constantly watch for changing road conditions.

Number 3.
    At a stop, when getting ready to pull out into traffic, look once, look twice, look even three times, and then as you are executing your entrance into traffic, look ONE MORE TIME, before it's too late to stop if needed.

I Can Say That These Three Things Have Definitely Saved My Life Before.

What tips do you have that have helped you?? Please add those comments to this thread. You could save not only your life, but hopefully someone who reads your tips here as well...

Last edited by littletommy; 06-25-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    Beeline, ejfranz, SanDue and 8 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

When approaching a car that may potentially pull out in front of you, do a couple 2-3 short weaves. It grabs their attention and they actually see you.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

I have to remember all the techniques mentioned above. I ride mostly mountain logging roads which have little or no traffic but many blind corners. It's tempting to want to ride aggressively but I've come face to face with fully loaded logging trucks more than once.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWROG View Post
    When approaching a car that may potentially pull out in front of you, do a couple 2-3 short weaves. It grabs their attention and they actually see you.
    Classic SMIDSY manoeuvre ( http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...96782255,d.eXY) and part of my riding style.

Standing up on the bike really seems to get the attention of those at intersections that look like they may pull out in front you.
    I also have a habit of "covering" the horn in situations like that. I have a Stebel air horn on my V-Strom that is 139 decibels loud that has saved my bacon more than once. It's amazing how quickly an inattentive car driver will come to an immediate stop when they think a tractor trailer is bearing down on them!!
    And I'm serious the horn has without a doubt saved me from serious injury or worse.
    I would install one on the dirt bikes but water is their enemy and I don't think it would last long off-roading around here. Too much water on the trails.

Also I never ever ride outside my comfort zone no matter what.
    Last edited by Dubster; 06-25-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

I ride like I'm invisible. Expect people to change lanes without signals, slam their brakes on , pull out in front of me, run a light .

Sadly standing on your pegs in BC can get you a ticket and fine for stunting.

I try to ride where I am most visible and make Eye contact with drivers at intersections.

On those nice twisty roads, I stay on my side of the road on blind corners.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Micro- phones. No kidding. Communication between riders is crucial. My riding partner has saved my body parts on several occasions. I allow the wife to take the lead and she warns me of approaching logging trucks. Over the microphone I will hear things as " wow the logging truck just missed me" or " that pot hole just knocked my ass between my ears" I know to proceed with caution. It's like having another set of eyes and a early warning system for one of us. Dirts a Flyen SanDue
    Last edited by SanDue; 06-25-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    Sadly standing on your pegs in BC can get you a ticket and fine for stunting.
    Some laws just need to be challenged, changed or broken. What a stupid law. I know stunting here in Nova Scotia carries very stiff fines and penalties. But as far as I know on a motorcycle it only applies to very excessive speed or wheelies. Gonna have to look into the standing on the pegs thing because I do that all the time to stretch the old bones while out riding.
    Has anyone ever challenged this law?
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Standing on your pegs is considered stunting in Ontario too. Some times its the only way I can get a fart out.

Wow didn't know about standing on the pegs in Ontario. I live here too and I do that all the time. Don't think I'll stop though.
    littletommy, Ken, Peterb and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links