Out of state purchase
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Out of state purchase

Out of state purchase

Hey all,
    I am in need of some help. I just bought 2) TW200 bikes in Arizona and brought them into California.
    After 1 1/2 I finally got an appointment with the DMV and was told I could not register these in California because of
    emissions. I was told guy at DMV if the bikes would have had over 7500 miles they would of allowed them.
    I told him they were 30 years old, doesn't that count for something.
    Anyone else have an issue with California DMV or know how to get around this?
    Does anyone know the difference between a California bike and non California bike?
    Little Brute likes this.

Hi Gunny,

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Last question first. If your bikes have an emissions canister mounted on the right side of the frame downtube underneath the fuel tank, they are California bikes. No canister, they are 49 state bikes.

Did you physically take these bikes to DMV for verification, or submit any paperwork to DMV? If not, I may be able to offer some hope.

Brian

Go back to DMV and talk to a different person. I bet you will get different results.
    TWilight likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

California is a stinker on their DMV laws. Basically, if it's got less than 7,500 miles on it, they suspect you are trying to bypass their emissions laws as well as taxes. Since you already discovered this via the DMV themselves, most likely they now have you on their records of doing so. You could have spun the odo a bit to make them appear to be over the 7,500 mile minimum, but it's a crap shoot now. You also might be able to get a signed afidavit from the seller that the odo is not accurate, but that's asking him to commit perjury and he may not wish to do that.

You can still register them in CA as off road and get a OHV sitcker for them.

Is it possible to add the canister to these bikes and make them California compliant? Wish i was aware of the 7500 mile law first, would have run the odometer. The guy who inspected told me he "HAD" to report this,
    I think he could have gave me back the paperwork and said if these had 7500 miles they would have passed.
    Little Brute likes this.

I recently bought a TW in California that I will be registering in Oregon where I live. I'd like to remove the canister because it is not required. If I understood how to remove it to make it function as a 49 state bike, I would and send you the canister to make it legal for you.

That is one of the many reasons I no longer live in my home state of California!

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenmeadow View Post
    I recently bought a TW in California that I will be registering in Oregon where I live. I'd like to remove the canister because it is not required. If I understood how to remove it to make it function as a 49 state bike, I would and send you the canister to make it legal for you.
    Generous offer - can anyone help Aspen out ?
    TWilight likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Had a sniff around - Apparently it only takes the vapour from the tank into the carb boot ……………

Re: Ca model evaporation canister removal! - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum

“I took mine off just to do it. Cap the port on the carb, and run a line from the port on the tank down where the other vent hoses are, otherwise it'll vapor lock on you”

-----------------------------------------------

So removing it is easy enough – just junk the canister - blank off the carb, and re-run the hose from the tank.

The problems start when you come to mount the canister on a bike not meant to have one.

For a start, you won’t have the frame mount for the can (though you could bodge it)

IMG_5600.JPG

Then there’s the additional tank vent – then there’s the carb itself (which I assume is a slightly different model)

All things are “possible” – but my first question would be - “Any chance you could get out of moving to California” ? ……………….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

It is not as simple as just slapping on an emissions canister. The bike's VIN number will also identify it as either a California or a 49 state bike. The DMV will also look for a sticker indicating compliance with the California emissions regulations.

If you had not already had these bikes inspected, I could offer you a speedometer that has 11,xxx miles on it that you could install for the DMV verification. At this point, here are a couple of options that you have:

1) I could send you my speedometer and you could return to (a different?) DMV (one bike at a time) and hope that your bikes have not already been flagged.

2) If your bikes are indeed over 20 years old, you could go back to DMV and ask to talk to a supervisor. Explain that these are clearly "used", and not "new" bikes, even though they may have less than 7,500 miles. You may get lucky and find a "reasonable" DMV employee who may be able to understand this situation and be willing to help you out of this bind.

Best of luck and let me know if you need my speedometer. Where in California are you located?

Brian
    jeffrolives and TWilight like this.

Isn't there a box on your reg. app. or bill of sale that say the odometer went around? Check it off. On 30 year old bikes it is believable.
    jtstdub likes this.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links