Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By LuvNot
  • 1 Post By rbm
  • 1 Post By SHAG
  • 1 Post By oilhed

Thread: All choked up

All choked up

Two part question...
    1) How long do you guys typically leave your bikes on choke to warm up?

2) Do you do anything special for cold-weather riding (is the TW cold-natured)?
    This may seem a bit premature to ask, but my bikes live outside, but I am thinking about buying a shed so I will have someplace to shelter them this winter. Just curious if that will make a difference in how the bike reacts in the winter or not.
    littletommy and plumbstraight like this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

It's your baby, get it a shed. If you have adjusted the air/fuel screw out from the factory setting right, they start in warm weather without the choke or almost. The colder it gets, the longer you have to keep the choke out, that's all. Maybe a twist of the throttle, full choke and start, move it to half way as soon as you can. If it's real cold, you have to have the full choke on longer and also at the halfway choke, then as soon as you can, shut off the choke and ride away. Take it slow for the first couple blocks, then it's go time!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

rbm
    Just a few minutes on choke is sufficient. I'd get the shed if you have the means, it's not good to leave it out in the weather.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I start and idle the bike on full choke for about 30 seconds and then put it on half choke for another 30 seconds while I bluetooth my phone to GPS. The ride down my street is about 200 yards to the main road. Once I pull out and get up to 5th gear, I push the knob in for the duration of the ride. This usually works good even when it's cold. When it's colder like mid 30's, sometimes I warm the bike up for 2 minutes or so and shut it off while I get my riding gear on inside the house. Then it's usually good to go without more choking.

I will never leave any bike running unattended for more than a minute.
    littletommy likes this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Well it's pretty warm here and I already pulled the brass plug and set the screw to 2-1/2 out. But, I still start on full choke. After a min. or two I go to half choke. If I can blip the throttle I ride off and turn off the choke in a couple of blocks. Still not acceptable.
    littletommy likes this.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Sponosred Links