Body Armour ......
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Body Armour ......

Body Armour ......

Back in the day when I was a kid (or at least “significantly younger”), body armour didn’t exist unless you were a regular on the racing circuit. Even then, a decent set of leathers was enough to be going on with, knee pads being optional for the posers who couldn’t get it down enough in a bend, so had to stick their knee out until it touched the road.

Nowadays, you can’t buy a motorcycle jacket without armour — over here in the UK, we call it “CE approved” armour — about as much good as a mouse mat stuffed in there, a couple of elbow and shoulder mouse mats, and a longer one up the back. Probably good enough to keep you out of trouble from marauding Police dogs, and the occasional hit from a June bug (possibly from the rear on a TW) — but other than that, pretty much useless.

Looking at the “body” armour situation, it seems that you have the option of either kitting yourself out like a “Ninja Turtle”, spending mega-bucks on a Quad Armour suit, or saving your money up for a visit to A&E.

Now, when it comes the humble TW, with a heart stopping top speed of “not a lot” — you have to kinda “tone things down” a bit — there’s no point in going for a pint of milk in a “turtle shell”, only to have the shop keeper reaching for a 12 bore beneath the counter — mind you, he’ll probably need “Double O” to shoot through it — but you can begin to see where I’m coming from …………..

Now I know that some of you will go for the “Full Monty” — moto-cross helmet — hard shell — Mad Max boots — Arnie “Terminator” shades - but it’s difficult to “look the part” when you wear that lot, step outside — and onto a TW.

Then there’s the “Randall” option — a Hickory shirt (with or without sleeves depending on the weather) — gloves, boots, red suspenders -and go (sun glasses optional) ………..

But then what happens on the trail, when you introduce your rib cage to a rock ?

So — my question here is — what “body armour”, (if any), do you wear whilst riding the TW ?

Because I’m so tempted to put these “CE” mouse mats to better use - (probably jammed between the skid plate and the engine) ……………….
    TWilight likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I think you nailed it, the full monty option looks silly unless your performing in front of a crowd

I prefer my version of the Randall option, boots, jeans, tshirt, 3/4 helmet and shades. As things start to cool down I do start to wear more.
    TWilight likes this.
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

I'm likely the oddball out here, but I tend to wear the full kit. Armored darn-near-everything.

Call it silly, call me a klutz or a chicken it's all good. This poor meat sack I inhabit has seen far to many ground surfaces at very close range to want to do another inspection in bare skin and it sure doesn't heal as fast as it used to.
    Beeline, GTG, Peterb and 4 others like this.
    '01 TW200, '03 Z1000, '09 KLR 650, '13 CRF250L

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You're not alone Hidebound.
    Beeline and jtomelliott49 like this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

If I'm tooling around on the street, in town...I wear jeans, work boots and a t shirt. If I'm riding power lines or trails, I wear a Fox pressure suit, riding boots, Spidi gloves, Fox Legion pants and my motocross helmet.

Crashing a TW at 45 or 50 hurts just as bad as crashing any other motorcycle.
    GTG and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post

there’s no point in going for a pint of milk in a “turtle shell”, only to have the shop keeper reaching for a 12 bore beneath the counter — mind you, he’ll probably need “Double O” to shoot through it — but you can begin to see where I’m coming from …………..
    wait, what? why would he pull out a gun?

do they not like motorcyclists in englandland?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

when I worked in the UK I remember hearing that motorcyclists are supposed to remove their helmets when going into stores due to robbers using their helmets as masks during robberies. Purple, is that the case?

Quote Originally Posted by methamphetasaur View Post
    wait, what? why would he pull out a gun?

do they not like motorcyclists in englandland?
    For me it's Alpinestars leather pants, Oxtar boots, Tourmaster Pivot jacket and Arai Profile helmet. Luckily it stays fairly cool year round where I ride.
    Last edited by Beeline; 07-02-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Around town, I will wear jeans, usually put on either my Sidi Adventures or some heavy Keen work boots and my Klim Induction mesh, always gloves of some sort, always my Shoei full face. I'll add my motorcycle pants (BMW Summer II) if I'm tooling around. I've been down on just a Sunday afternoon ride up the canyon & ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks so... I ride ATGATT for the most part. Looking at the Klim K-50-1 Jeans,with Kevlar, armor. Most accidents happen within 25 miles of home they say, and you are much more likely to injure your legs. Applied to me, but my helmet saved the brain parts. It's all about your own acceptance of risk. Riding is risky, without gear even more so. But it is your skin, your head, and trust me when I say you do not want to get skin grafts. DAMHIK.
    GTG and jtomelliott49 like this.

ah, i see. i forgot britain was a nanny state with more laws than people...

if i'm wearing an open face helmet, i usually leave it on, but if i wear my full face helmet i usually take it off anyway because i find people can't hear/understand you and i end up having to shout at people.

I think I'm like 90% of the people here . Around town , boots gloves Levi's and a T-shirt or light jacket weather permiting.
    Off road no matter if I'm on the TW or the Husky I wear full body armor.....
    $(KGrHqJHJE8FGTrL-MCdBRpn)Syr)g--60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16RHJH8E9qSEVnvVBRks38Lfig--60_12.JPG

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links