How Long Do You Keep A Ride?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: How Long Do You Keep A Ride?

How Long Do You Keep A Ride?

Another rainy day in Florida.

Reading about breaking in and oil changes got me thinking.

How long do you keep your ride? I see lots of TW's for sale with less than 3,000 miles. If you are like me and going to change your ride before 10,000 miles is it worthwhile to get all anal about break in and oil changes.

Now I change my oil at 1500 miles. But knowing I am going to get another ride next year or the year after does it really make sense to worry about oil?

Ha! Just starting a thread out of boredom caused by torrential downpours.

So...how long?
    littletommy, TWilight and admiral like this.

Darn near forever. If you do the maintenance you might be pleased should you elect to keep the TW or pass it on to someone you care for.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I tend to keep things a while. I don't like turning over cars or bikes quickly. Regardless tho for me if i have something long term or short term does not matter i will still maintain it like i intend to keep it forever. Sometimes circumstances change and you may have to keep something for longer than you originally intended.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I like to keep my vehicles to failure. They're paid for, why get rid of 'em?
    The only time I get rid of something is to trade-in for something that works better.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I bought TW_in_BC bike and it had over 47000 km on it and it is now over 48000 km and going strong.
    If I like a bike I will keep it.
    littletommy, TWilight and admiral like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

If you're going to get rid of it, and you want to get top price, or even have an easy time selling it, do the maintenance and keep the receipts. That's a great selling point.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Pride in ownership or good stewardship tells me to take real good care of it. And if I should choose to sell it later, I know I am giving someone something that was well cared for and I can stand behind my sale proudly, having done my best.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    I like to keep my vehicles to failure. They're paid for, why get rid of 'em?
    The only time I get rid of something is to trade-in for something that works better.

Is that what happened to any previous husbands? ONLY KIDDING!!! I couldn't help myself Kim!! Please forgive me!!
    Fred, LuvNot, TWilight and 1 others like this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

If I were as able (mechanically) as a lot of you guys I would probably want to keep my ride forever. I love it. But the cost of paying pros to maintain it is such that the economics and comfort (confidence) level is such that I will probably sell around 10k miles and start over with a slightly used one with <1k. Or even new if necessary.
    I can do some stuff. Oil change, valve adjust, plug, pull the tank, etc. Really basic stuff not requiring any smarts or special tools.

I just had an "o" ring chain put on. If Im did not have a good guy do it for me for $25 I would have had to pay the next least expensive guy $75. Sooo. For me it is going to be a short term relationship. But I do love my Tdub.
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nippurr View Post
    If I were as able (mechanically) as a lot of you guys I would probably want to keep my ride forever. I love it. But the cost of paying pros to maintain it is such that the economics and comfort (confidence) level is such that I will probably sell around 10k miles and start over with a slightly used one with <1k. Or even new if necessary.
    I can do some stuff. Oil change, valve adjust, plug, pull the tank, etc. Really basic stuff not requiring any smarts or special tools.

I just had an "o" ring chain put on. If Im did not have a good guy do it for me for $25 I would have had to pay the next least expensive guy $75. Sooo. For me it is going to be a short term relationship. But I do love my Tdub.
    A lot of folks are afraid of things like valve adjusting, so I think you are plenty experienced to care for it for a long time. Oil changes and valve adjustments are two of the most important things on a TW. Just keep doing what you are already doing, that bike may very well last you 50,000 miles. It's cheaper to learn how to do the maintenance than to go get a new bike every few years. Besides, we would all help you with whatever needed to be done anyway, so keep the bike and maintain it well.
    grewen likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links