I got my own!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got my own!

Hi all,

I had a login on the old forum, but I was mostly there to gather information about my partner's TW. She has a 2006 and uses it mostly for commuting to work. It was a little tall for her so I lowered it with a vStar shock. Anyway, I enjoy riding the TW but it's just too low for me, and I ride a bit more "aggressively" than my SO. I had a KLX250 that I used to ride with her in the dirt, and for some unknown lapse of reasoning I sold it 2 years ago. Well, I've come to my senses and got another little dual sport for myself. Long story short, I picked up a 2001 TW200 last Friday for $1200.

Great deal, right? Well it was, but she does need a little attention. She's got a few miles on her.

And, she's pretty dirty. And not in a good way.

I'm wondering if someone here may have been the original owner. They obviously loved her much and put a boat load of miles on her. They also fabbed up this great rack.

I think the last owner loved her, and rode her a bit, but didn't give her all the mechanical attention that she deserves. So, my plan is to clean her up real good this weekend, and when this bloody snow melts get out on a shakedown ride. I have ordered up a new chain (o-ring) and sprokets (50-15), front and real wheel bearing and seal kits, oil filters, and some Renthal high bars and Tusk handguards for her.

What else should I be looking at doing on a TW with 20,000+ miles? I don't have any reason to believe that the top end has been rebuilt, but if she is running well I'm not inclined to do it. Any thoughts from the experts?

Anyway, thanks for the forum. I will be here frequently gathering info and advice. Is there a thread on top end rebuild that my searching has not uncovered. Ride safe, all!

Julia
    Two Wheels Good

2001 TW200

2009 Triumph Street Triple R

2006 TW200 (SO's)

qeenpdog,

Well, from your first photo the TW looks pretty darn good.

Wheel bearing and seal kits aren't something mentioned much. Matter of fact I can't remember anyone mentioning replacing them, though I suspect someone has. Good call. You've mentioned some good things to check/replace, but you will know more after your shakedown ride.

TW engines always seem to be a bit noisy (i.e. something sounds broken when it's not lol), so if it runs fine performance wise, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the top-end. You may want to check the spark plug for any symtoms of ill running, rich/lean/worn plug, and possibly a valve check/adjustment if needed. You may also want to grease the swing arm.

I'm just finishing up a friends front fork seals, oil, and boots, so you may want to take a look, but from what I can see from your photo, this side looks ok.

Take Care.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

If she runs good, just do a complete tune-up and service: page everything on pages 31 and 32.

That way you know it's been done.

Why are you worried about the wheel bearings? Something wrong with them?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by queenpdog View Post
    Hi all,

I had a login on the old forum, but I was mostly there to gather information about my partner's TW. She has a 2006 and uses it mostly for commuting to work. It was a little tall for her so I lowered it with a vStar shock. Anyway, I enjoy riding the TW but it's just too low for me, and I ride a bit more "aggressively" than my SO. I had a KLX250 that I used to ride with her in the dirt, and for some unknown lapse of reasoning I sold it 2 years ago. Well, I've come to my senses and got another little dual sport for myself. Long story short, I picked up a 2001 TW200 last Friday for $1200.

Great deal, right? Well it was, but she does need a little attention. She's got a few miles on her.

And, she's pretty dirty. And not in a good way.

I'm wondering if someone here may have been the original owner. They obviously loved her much and put a boat load of miles on her. They also fabbed up this great rack.

I think the last owner loved her, and rode her a bit, but didn't give her all the mechanical attention that she deserves. So, my plan is to clean her up real good this weekend, and when this bloody snow melts get out on a shakedown ride. I have ordered up a new chain (o-ring) and sprokets (50-15), front and real wheel bearing and seal kits, oil filters, and some Renthal high bars and Tusk handguards for her.

What else should I be looking at doing on a TW with 20,000+ miles? I don't have any reason to believe that the top end has been rebuilt, but if she is running well I'm not inclined to do it. Any thoughts from the experts?

Anyway, thanks for the forum. I will be here frequently gathering info and advice. Is there a thread on top end rebuild that my searching has not uncovered. Ride safe, all!

Julia
    Great bike, I was the origional owner, well almost, I bought it with only 400 miles on it, and close to 20000 miles when I sold it. The only thing that I did to it was, new inlet valve in the carb.,and new throttle cable, replaced the chain and sprockets once, also new tires.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
    Great bike, I was the origional owner, well almost, I bought it with only 400 miles on it, and close to 20000 miles when I sold it. The only thing that I did to it was, new inlet valve in the carb.,and new throttle cable, replaced the chain and sprockets once, also new tires.

Silverwing,

It is mind blowing to me....this internet thing. What did we do without it? Anyway, it is VERY cool for me to know who loved the bike and put all those miles on her. I can assure you that she is in good hands now. Not that she wasn't before, but I doubt she's even gotten one bath since you gave her up. Did you build the rack? Nice work. So, where did you ride the bike?

Yesterday I installed some higher bars (pro taper) and some handguards (tusk). I got in a few miles, but as you know it is still pretty cold in MN. There does seem to be a fueling issue and I'm planning to give the carb a good cleaning in the coming weeks.

qwerty,

I'm not sure what prompted me to get the wheel bearing kits. I know that is a wear item and I just figured they might need freshening. I did do a visual inspection of the wheels and fork seals. Also the steering head. The only bearing area that showed and leakage was the steering bearing area.

So, next up is a carb cleaning and general tune-up, including new chain and sprokets. Great idea to check the spark plug for clues. Thanks!

More pics to follow, and hopefully some of the places we'll go.
    Two Wheels Good

2001 TW200

2006 TW200 (SO's)

Well, I got a little garage time on the weekend -- even tho it was only about 30 degrees out -- and did a few things to the T-dub. First, gave the bike a bath so that I can see a little better where the need for attention is. She's looking a little cleaner, but still pretty greasy.

I installed a set of Pro Taper ATV se high bars. This is a really nice improvement. I really like the feel, and standing on the pegs will be much more comfortable. THere was some rerouting of cables to be done (honestly, a bigger PITA than I expected), and I had to drill a couple of holes for the throttle assembly notch and the starter button assembly notch. This was hard to do without scratching the new bars.

Then I installed the Tusk handguards that I got from Rocky Mountain. This too was a bit of a pain. I had to install the clamp above the crossbar rather than below as the instructions suggested. They feel solid though. These handguards are made really well. For the price, a great product.

I also got a box in the mail today with these in it!

A little date with the Goo Gone took off the yellow print. Ready for mounting up now.

Got the chain and sprockets in the mail Saturday, and the forecast calls for 53 degrees by Saturday. I'm hoping to get those installed for a nice shakedown ride on the weekend. Stay tuned!

---
    Two Wheels Good

2001 TW200

2006 TW200 (SO's)

Steering stem bearings are known weak. Not really the bearings, but the the seals. They don't do a very good job of keeping the water out. The best solution is All-Balls. Install them and forget them unless you do the submarine thing.

Quote Originally Posted by queenpdog View Post
    Silverwing,

It is mind blowing to me....this internet thing. What did we do without it? Anyway, it is VERY cool for me to know who loved the bike and put all those miles on her. I can assure you that she is in good hands now. Not that she wasn't before, but I doubt she's even gotten one bath since you gave her up. Did you build the rack? Nice work. So, where did you ride the bike?

Yesterday I installed some higher bars (pro taper) and some handguards (tusk). I got in a few miles, but as you know it is still pretty cold in MN. There does seem to be a fueling issue and I'm planning to give the carb a good cleaning in the coming weeks.

qwerty,

I'm not sure what prompted me to get the wheel bearing kits. I know that is a wear item and I just figured they might need freshening. I did do a visual inspection of the wheels and fork seals. Also the steering head. The only bearing area that showed and leakage was the steering bearing area.

So, next up is a carb cleaning and general tune-up, including new chain and sprokets. Great idea to check the spark plug for clues. Thanks!

More pics to follow, and hopefully some of the places we'll go.
    The little TW was in AZ, TX,northern MN, east central MN, (including St.Paul, Stillwater). I bought the bike in Stillwater. I also have a Honda silverwing scooter with 52000 miles and a Honda Rebel 250 which currently has 9000 miles, along with my current TW, which has 12600 miles. I use the TW for back roads and trails or what ever gets in my way. The only reason I bought my 2005 TW is because it was a good buy.

I also made the rack and reinforced it to the frame under the seat.So it should be good for many miles.

I think the rack could carry a smartcar for many miles!

Two Wheels Good

2001 TW200

2006 TW200 (SO's)

Last night the new T-dub got some more love. I did an oil change and inspected the spark plug -- which looked surprisingly good. Oh, and installed a tool tube!

Now I've got it on the lift with the rear wheel off, getting prepped to do the chain and sprockets. I'm hoping to get going on that tonight, tho I don't anticipate finishing due to a later work schedule.

I have read the threads about o-ring master link installation and I anticipate a bit of a wrestling match. If you have any great tips feel free to pass them along . Wish me luck!

Two Wheels Good

2001 TW200

2006 TW200 (SO's)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links