Proud new TW owner, non-ethanol fuel?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Proud new TW owner, non-ethanol fuel?

Proud new TW owner, non-ethanol fuel?

Hey guys, new to the forum. Just got a 2012 TW with 2200 miles, excellent condition and couldn't be happier with it. Mostly using as an on-campus commuter (currently in my undergrad at UF) and blasting some national forest trails on the weekends, so far it fits the bill perfectly. Anyways, any of you guys prefer to run E0 fuel as oppose to E10? I noticed that the owner's man. allows for E10, any noticeable benefits of running E0 other than less water absorption, better fuel stability, maybe better mpg?
    VintageGW and WECSOG like this.

rbm
    Hello and welcome! If I had it available, I'd run E0 in everything, especially the TW. Use it exclusively if you have it available.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

My '95 TW runs best on 87 octane even if it has 10% ethanol. 91 octane non-ethanol doesn't run as well. Others report the same. If I must buy ethanol gas I always treat with Startron, Lucas, or Stabil for ethanol (it is different than the "red" Stabil). Leaving untreated ethanol gas in a TW during storage equals BIG problems.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

fishguy I'm definitely aware of the horrors associated with storage and ethanol, used to have all kinds of issues with it in my bay skiff running an old Yamaha 2-stroke outboard (that is until I started running E0 religiously). I may throw some E0 in the TW on its next fill-up and see how she responds.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    While there may be some advantages to the E0, it will run perfectly fine on E10 so don't worry about it at all, especially if you use it frequently. If you had a choice of E0 or E10 at two adjoining gas stations, at the same price, I'd take the E0, otherwise don't go out of your way and at extra expense to get it, you won't notice any difference in performance, mileage, or anything else.
    Blueduce and fishguy like this.

Mckee1710; welcome, and congrats on your new bike, your going to have a lot a fun. As to your question, I've used both, and to be honest, I can't tell if I have 12, or 13 hp w/ or w/ out. If you ride a lot, who cares, if it sets a lot E0...
    "Cycles is a mean toy lady" Halsy Knox

Quote Originally Posted by mckee1710 View Post
    any noticeable benefits of running E0 other than less water absorption, better fuel stability, maybe better mpg?
    That's not enough?

I run non-ethanol in my TW most of the time. I keep a couple of 5-gallon cans of it around for that purpose, as well as my other small engines. I do put E10 in it if I'm out riding and need to stop for fuel, but I try not to leave E10 in the tank for more than a few days.
    Gulfrider likes this.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

The only thing I run ethanol in is my truck other then that 90 oct rec non-eth in everything. Have had to many problems with ethanol myself.

I've never had an ethanol problem in anything I own. Heard many horror stories though. A local convenience store chain, Stewarts, now offers 91 octane non-ethanol fuel so I've been buying that just as a preventative measure. I've never noticed any performance or mileage difference in any tank of fuel I've run since I got my TW as a 2014 leftover back in March.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by SickPuppy76 View Post
    I've never had an ethanol problem in anything I own. Heard many horror stories though. A local convenience store chain, Stewarts, now offers 91 octane non-ethanol fuel so I've been buying that just as a preventative measure. I've never noticed any performance or mileage difference in any tank of fuel I've run since I got my TW as a 2014 leftover back in March.
    Same thing here with my local Stewart's shops and I am thrilled to have non E fuel available. I did just complete a tank test in my Tacoma and the difference between E10 and Non E was not enough to spend the extra cash for premium. That said, I do buy the Non E for all of my engines that are subject to less use such as my TW, XT, boat, lawn equipment and my ice auger. All of these engines do a lot of sitting around in a dark shed or barn and the ethanol is not as stable in these harsh conditions. I use my Troy Built roto tiller once in the spring and again in the fall and it runs like a champ with real gas and is a complete nightmare with E-10 in the tank. My 6 HP outboard motor has a six gallon tank and I bet I don't use 3 gallons in any year. No ethanol ever goes in that tank! I guess we could just call non ethanol fuel Agricultural fuel and be very happy to still have it.

GaryL
    jbfla likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links