TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Would you be interested in a more aggressive rear tire for the TW200?

• Yes, and I would buy right away!

Votes: 32 65.3%
  • Yes, but I will see what others think first.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 18.4%

Asking Bridgestone for a new Rear Tire

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  docjekyll2002 
#1 ·
I am writing a letter (a real paper letter, since they don't have an email address listed) to ask them to consider making a better off-road rear tire for the TW200. I'm referring them to this thread to help show that there is a market for another tire choice. So if you would be interested in a better rear tire than the current TW34, please say so in the poll, and add any additional comments to the thread.

PLEASE keep this thread clean and friendly; since I'm hoping they will review this thread and keep an eye on it, I'd like them to be able to find information without having to wade through a ton of off-topic chatter. Cool?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Dear Bridgestone:
Should you develop and market a dual sport off-road oriented tire superior to the existing TW34 I think it would become quite popular. I would certainly buy one immediately and replace it as necessary with another when the first one wears out. Please consider the broad market appeal of a more aggressive appearing and functioning tire for the Yamaha TW line.

#6 ·
I'd buy one and fit it promptly - provided it cost no more than the existing tire. If it is pricier then I'd wait until my current tire wears out to replace.

Honestly, with as many of these little bikes that are ridden, and given the long DECADES of production, having ONE tire choice for dirt is a big load of cow droppings and smacks of laziness. Bridgestone already lost me as a customer for street tires thanks to the horrible Battleax that came fitted on the Z1000; they're about to lose my dirt tire business to Duro if they don't get a move on with a few options for the TW.

#7 ·
Good idea, but is Bridgestone the one to approach just because they currently make a tire for the TW?
The more aggressive DS tires I have run on my other DSs have come from Dunlop, Pirelli and Metzler.
Maybe Bridgestone should check out their competitors and get into making a more dirt orientated tire.

#9 ·
This has been tried before in the past, with no results. Maybe this time?? :)

#11 ·
I hate to be a cynic, but I think the only way we will get a better tire (tyre EU) is if one of the Bridgestone board members happen to have a daughter/granddaughter that wants a better tire.

My guess is the "official" line would go something like: "Thank you for your interest in our product. We produce the tire that Yamaha has requested. As the designer and manufacturer of the motorcycle, Yamahas engineers have determined the best (compromise) fitment for the TW200."

Translation: "We have been producing the same tire since 1987 and there's virtually no competition, so why cut into the profit margin on this product with additional R&D? Additionally, since this (tire) is going on the cheapest bike imaginable, the profit margin isn't compatible with our corporate profit structure. Be thankful we make anything for this bike. Since Yamaha does buy a boatload of tires for more popular models from us, we will, as a professional courtesy, continue to manufacture this outdated tire."

Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but it seems tiny special interest only works with congress...

JP

#12 · (Edited)
Prime example.....I've had my Tdub less then a month and I already HAVE a shinko 244 for a front tire because neither stock tires are very good on loose surfaces. Basically the stock treads are street with some knobs...So why not make the trailway live up to it's name? The shinko 244 appears to be popular amongst us so to make a rear tire to match would be awesome. I think the ideal tread should be dual sport and road legal, but better suited to off road.

Maybe doing the same in the other TW forums would bring up the numbers.

#13 ·
I had my TW 2 weeks and the Golden Boy was gone and replayed with a good off road tire DS tire. If a more aggressive DS tire for the rear is too be had, I would prefer sometime along the line of a D606.

Reactions: littletommy
#14 ·
I would really like a 50/50 tire for the rear. Maybe Kenda 270 style? It would need to be a compromise tire, but with the large size and option for low pressure, it wouldn't take much to balance the bike! To aggressive wouldn't probably be great either, because lack of power to spin a truly hooked up tire would be a problem as well.

#15 ·
I've contacted a number of other manufacturers and haven't even gotten a reply... well, I got a reply from one, and it was the standard reply of, "thanks for your letter."

It seems like Bridgestone would be the most likely to make a tire for us. They already have the tooling in place for the size; all they have to do is apply a different tread pattern/rubber compound to it. So for them, it's the easiest to do.

#16 ·
#17 ·
I say we vote and make Johnney Pheonix start dating that Bridgestone Board Member's daughter.
Give her a few TW rides and she'll be all like "But Daddy, Johnney is soooo cute! Please,please, please make him a gnarly tire"

#18 ·
I had forgotten that Shinko made that one set of tires for it. I could see them maybe making us a 244 for the rear, since they already have a suitable matching front. I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the 700. It's a fine 80/20 tire, but that's about it. The 244 is barely 50/50 but it's still better than the TW34.

#19 · (Edited)
The rear tire on the TW reminds me of the tires on my Honda 185s three wheeler back in the 1980's.Honda 185s three wheeler Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.