Tire age .....
Close

Poll: How mant years before you change the rear tire ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Tire age .....

Tire age .....

My rear tire is the standard TW34 – you’ve probably got one on there now …..

My ’98 bike is immaculate – (yeah, I know, I should get out more often) – 5k miles on the clock, looks like it’s still wearing the original rear tire (the matching front was pretty worn down when I got it and has been changed out for a K60) – plenty of life on the rear tire

It looks good – it feels good – it performs good – (and as a bonus, it still holds air) ………

But – (there’s always a “but”) – that tire is now 17 years old – (I’ve had girl-friends younger than that)

My personal “instincts” are to run it for another couple of years – it hasn’t gone hard – and I can handle a rear blow out if it all goes pear shaped, (much like my girl-friends in fact)

The above poll is to determine your own feelings on tire age – just on rear tires and specific to the TW (I would never consider a tire of such age on a sports bike)

Some would argue swapping it out at five years – maybe ten – maybe even older

So – are you anal about tires – and if so – in what direction ?

Do you have an older tire than 17 years on your TW ?

Call me crazy on this thread if you wish – I’ve been called worse (trust me) – it’s my arse and I can land on it if I want to – but in the poll, tell me about you ………….
    Last edited by Purple; 08-07-2015 at 12:13 PM.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Our bikes are rarely left outside. UV is likely the biggest culprit in deterioration (although I have read there is degradation with exposure to the atmosphere, (tires do go bad in storage). If it's not showing dry rot and it's not flat spotted, I would run it. Mine is an 02 original tire and I wont replace it until I see or experience an issue that warrants replacement.

That's just too old. There could easily be issues you can't spot. Yes, it is your arse, but I for one would prefer you not grind it off on a highway. Besides, tires aren't exactly expensive...at least not for the TW. Around a hundred bucks here.

Furthermore, if you are as old as I am you can have the safety and security of a new tire right now and when it's time for a new one in 17 years you probably won't care.
    Mel likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah I'd change that tire. I think the TW31 on my '92 when I got it was ten years old when I got it. Worked fine too, but for a bike that sees highway use, I wasn't willing to trust it.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

10 years would be the maximum I would run a bike tire, and that would be a bike that is stored inside.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Mel
    I have two thoughts about old tires. First, let all of the air out of the tire, try folding the side wall and see if there are any cracks allowing air to the cord structure. That is where the failure will most likely occur. If there are cracks, the tire is beyond its useful life. If no cracks, it should be a viable tire and still useful and safe. On the other hand, for the price of a tire that is fresh, flexible, and considered usable under all circumstances, is a lot better than my Butt trying to hang on to the seat, if that old tire blows out. Let along the heart rate that a failure would cause in this old man!!!!
    Mel
    Borneo, ejfranz, TWilight and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Furthermore, if you are as old as I am you can have the safety and security of a new tire right now and when it's time for a new one in 17 years you probably won't care.
    You do have a point ......

Except that http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/moto/di...ed-tyres/tw34/
    Last edited by Purple; 08-07-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    Borneo likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I had a rear tire blow out in 1977 on a Yamaha 650 at 65 MPH. I was 2 up with the owner of the bike. I kept it together but she was all over the place until I got it stopped. My rear tire is going to be 10 years old next year so I think next year I'll change it out.

I've never had a tire last 5 years. The tread always seems to evaporate long before then. But then, my bikes are not garage queens.
    ejfranz and Hidebound like this.
    Phelonius

Could not answer poll as I just replaced the rear TW tire after having the bike a few months.
    Missing choice of every year.
    With my other bike it gets a new rear tire at least once a year, those 80 dirt, 20 street tires don't last long on the road. The front has been changed 3 times in 6 years.

If there are any cracks in the side wall get rid of them - car tire manufactures claim the life span is 7 years.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links