getting ready to buy a tw200
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: getting ready to buy a tw200

getting ready to buy a tw200

I am looking at several TW200's in my area. I currently only have Honda's. My dirt bike is an 84 XR200. I am light (140#) and 5'9" so the XR is fine for me, but I might be scaling back on # of bikes so the TW200 seems like a good balance for me. My daily rider to work is my 64 Superhawk.

Here are my pre-purchase questions.

1. what is the stickiest rear tire available for the TW200? By sticky I mean by the rubber compound. I go to Moab occasionally and have done slickrock on MTB's and the XR as well as the sand dunes in the same area (whitewash). My XR has a Pirelli MT43 and it is sticky on solid rock and does fantastic as a trials tire at Rampart Range
    2. what rear tire is most trials like? for Colroado, trials rear is the best as an all around it seems
    3. are the headlights AC or DC? I am only looking at pre-2000's as I want the kickstart. If they are AC I am guessing I would have to do the same setup as my XR and add a rectifier > battery > capacitor combo to do LED headlights. the caps make the LED flicker go away.
    4. What is the average offroad miles per tank if you were only using 1st-third? i.e. can you go 80 miles in 2nd gear on one tank? Reason: most trails where I ride (rampart range in colorado) you are mainly in 2nd or 3rd, but my XR is a 6 speed. the 2.0Gal tank on my XR gives me ~82 miles in the varying terrain.

thanks,

-j
    jtomelliott49 and VintageGW like this.

Go to the Trails & off road thread and find our TW Moab trip reports. There are a few different ones from all of us who went there. You'll see how we did on slick rock, sand, etc...
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

The lack of rear tire options for the TW is a real drag. There are really only two tread patterns available in actual MC tires, the OEM 50/50(ish?) TW34 and the 80/20 TW204 & clones. The good news is, the OEM tire is actually a pretty good tire for a variety of applications.

That's why a lot of guys "darkside" with ATV tires, which is not without it's own set of challenges and drawbacks. You can read all about that in the 1,000 or so threads about ATV tires on here.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The stock rubber is pretty sticky on asphalt. There are some turns in my area marked 25 mph or so that the bike will take at more than double the posted speed... Probably could go even faster but the engine is running out of steam at those speeds.

I am supposed to find out today if I can pick up the TW. Anyway, have done a lot of research here and else where. I did have one question about the headlight. I rarely ride at night except offroad.

Is the headlight a 4X6?
    Can I swap out the headlight for an ATV 4x6 or 5X7 LED unit?
    Ideally I would like to keep the stock look but add an equivalent draw LED headlight. Right now I am look at a 98 TW200 and there are a lot of 36W 4X6 LED lights which is close enough to the stock 35W headlight.

I put a Cyclops H4 LED bulb in my TW, and will eventually get around to adding a pair of AUX LEDs, like Solstice or Denali or somesort. That should make for fine night riding without having to figure out weird mounting options with another headlight, or having it look funky. Just IMO. I have the same setup on my DR650.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

As Rob says, you should be able to find an LED bulb that will drop into the stock headlight set-up - if it does end up being a '98, stick with 35/36 watts equivalent (take that as a rough guide, it's an imprecise science) ............
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I ended up getting a 2006 today. looks like I need fork boots, the metal clamp that holds the licence plate to the rear fender (tabs broken) and probably general maintenance stuff

with the front disk reservoir, how do you mount bark busters or similar?

Congrats on your new bike!! Not sure about the bark buster question, but it can be done. I think you'll really love this bike once you've got it all set up the way you want. m.

doesnt have to be bark busters, just any type of handguard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links