Regrets....
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Regrets....

Regrets....

How's everybody doing?

It's been over six months since I sold my beloved little TW...she was getting "up there" in the mileage department, so I thought it was time to move along.
    I bought a 2006 Super Sherpa as a replacement and I 've got to tell you...it's been one thing after another with this @%$# thing!
    The thing I miss most about my TW is that even though she was kinda gutless and couldn't roost to save her own life...she was dependable, reliable and most of all, she was "plug and play"...
    I knew that when I hit the starter, she would jump to life and after a few minutes of warmup, we'd be ready to go from sea level to 2900m without skipping a beat.
    This Kawasaki is the most cold-blooded, temperamental piece of machinery I've ever owned...I thought I had finally "dialled her in" as far a the 20 minute warmup was concerned...changed some jets and a few tweaks...she would fire up easily after a few cranks.
    When I got her above 500m though...she starts acting like she has asthma...rough idling, stalling...all disappeared when I got back down to ground level, but it's un-nerving trying to work your way out of a 2ft waterbar only to have it stall halfway out the other side!
    I've owned this thing for almost 6 months, but I've only put about 400 miles on it...most of that two weeks ago while we were on the Island.
    In case you don't know...it's a real PITA pulling the carb on this thing...yet it's necessary to do so in order to change jets and do adjustments...not very "user friendly" if you're a tinkerer as I am.

Anyways, today was the last straw...she's back up for sale...I'm looking to pick up an XT, but who knows...maybe I'll be keeping my eyes open for another TW. Heaven knows, it's familiar territory...not to mention a Yamaha!
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Hmmm. I have thought about getting a Super Sherpa before, didn't know that about them.. Sorry for your troubles bro..
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

47,000 kilometers = 29,205 miles. My #1 TW has over 31,000 miles on it and it is going strong. Heck! It is barely just broken in and runs like a cheap Swiss watch! I plan to ride it until either it or I turn to dust.

P1290019.JPG
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi TW_in_BC, your old bike is still going strong at 48180 Km.
    Took it out to blue mountain today and did a few blue and black diamond trails.
    Almost flipped it, got it stuck for a few minutes in a mud bog and bend both the shifter and break pedal.
    Great little bike.
    If you are going for an XT and don't want to fiddle with the carb, get a 2013 or newer as they are fuel injected.
    There are a couple of TWs for sale on Craigslist right now.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    You must have an awful fat key.

It's one of these normal sized keys!

hey tw... I think there is a nice looking tw200 for sale in Penticton right now
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
    It's one of these normal sized keys!
    The guy I bought it from said it had been stolen. As I have looked around at other TW's a widened key slot is fairly common.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    Hi TW_in_BC, your old bike is still going strong at 48180 Km.
    Took it out to blue mountain today and did a few blue and black diamond trails.
    Almost flipped it, got it stuck for a few minutes in a mud bog and bend both the shifter and break pedal.
    Great little bike.
    If you are going for an XT and don't want to fiddle with the carb, get a 2013 or newer as they are fuel injected.
    There are a couple of TWs for sale on Craigslist right now.
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying it as much as I did...although I never did any black diamond trails, at least...not on purpose!
    The toughest ride I ever had with it was on the East side of the Church loop up by Tamihi...once I started down, there was nowhere to turn around!

Unfortunately, I have to sell this albatross before I can buy another one...and I'd hate to take a loss on it (paid too much to begin with, in hindsight)...but I probably will anyway.
    Apparently, the XT's have the same carb but because of the way they're installed, it's easier to work on them.
    I can't even pull the spark plug on the Sherpa without removing the fuel tank...Mind you, she has the smoothest transmission I've ever felt - like a hot knife through butter!
    They are well built, but getting this one set up "just right" is proving to be more of a challenge than I want...
    I miss my TW.
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

I can totally relate to your headache over getting something to run right. Total nightmare sometimes. Really makes you appreciate the good ones when they come along - and I know you know exactly what I mean by that!

This is kind of why I'm personally pretty much done with carburetors. I just bought a brand new OEM carburetor for my DR200 (22k mi. on it), because it began having serious problems recently and defied diagnosis. The new carb fixed those problems, but now I can sort of see why people feel the need to screw around with the jetting and stuff. I've never liked messing with jetting or other carb settings if I don't have to (never had to with my TW or with the Ninja 500). But man this DR200 is cold blooded as hell now (the previous owner had cut up the air box lid and put a much bigger pilot jet in it). Takes like two minutes to warm up enough to avoid bad lag and bog at lower RPM (CA-specific carburetor model...). Runs great after like ten minutes lol... I've only run it two or three times with the new carb though. Maybe I'll just use full choke for a minute every time I first start it, and/or give it hand fulls of throttle off the line whenever its cold to get it to move its sluggish ass past that bottom end pickup-lag. I would just slip the clutch a little more when cold; unfortunately this clutch tends to get a little moisture in it when the bike's been sitting, and I get a little nasty clutch chirping if I do anything more than gently ease the clutch out, before the engine is warmed up. I don't really care that much about it running "like crap" when it's cold, as long as it WORKS when cold, works better when warm, and isn't so far off that it's harming the engine. On the plus side, I'll bet it will get five or ten more MPG now

+1 on the new, fuel injected XT250's!
    Last edited by kj7687; 08-08-2015 at 05:39 AM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links