My dog got skunked!
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SickPuppy76
  • 1 Post By TopPredator
  • 1 Post By Werloc

Thread: My dog got skunked!

My dog got skunked!

Last Sunday at 3am, my dog Sadie woke my wife and I up because she REALLY wanted to go outside. Turns out, it was to play with a skunk, which sprayed her point blank right in the face and mouth! We let her in, unknowing of her being sprayed. She's trained to go right in the kitchen and lay down after being outside so she doesn't track anything all over the house (thank god for this). She was in major distress, shaking her head and pawing at her nose/mouth, and salivating all over the floor, shaking her head. Best I can describe the smell is burnt garlic/rubber smell that was more overpowering than anything I've smelled, ever. It did NOT smell like skunk. I thought that she got sprayed by another animal, or maybe pepper sprayed by someone. I googled "dog sprayed garlic" and found out that yes, it was a skunk. I put her back outside with a bowl of water, turned off the air conditioners, opened the windows, and turned 2 window fans on blowing inward to limit the smell to the kitchen, and hot mopped my house 4 or 5 times with shower spray and then Mr. Clean with febreeze. Thank god I have hardwood floors. I was up from 3am til about 8am, and had looked at Petsmart and Petco's sites to find de-skunking products. I posted on facebook what happened and I had a few friends recommend using the homemade concoction using peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap, so I went to the store to buy this, and treated her when I got home. I let it sit in her fur for about 10 minutes before rinsing it out, and following up with a bath with her Burt's Bees oatmeal colloidal dog shampoo. Everything I'd done seemed to work pretty well. I got most of the smell out of the house, and most off the dog. After a week of febreeze and burning expensive candles we're in good shape, but Sadie smells a bit still but very tolerable. I brushed her with scented grooming spray yesterday. My wallet was in the kitchen when this happened, and that smelled bad of skunk for several days...
    TopPredator and SanDue like this.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Our Shepard got blasted THREE times in the past two weeks.
    Bathed him in tomato juice and some deskunk product.

I thought Shepards were supposed to be smart.

None of the Black Labs I ever had would even think to bother with a skunk.

We had a beagle when I was a kid. That dog would run rabbits all day long. She would come home stinking of skunk and my mother would bath her in tomato juice. It helped but she didn't sleep with me for awhile.
    SanDue likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Vinegar and water with soap bath. A good 2 or 3 in a row will kill about 75% of that smell. Just be careful around the dogs face not to get in eyes, it burns. Then I filled his bed with cedar chips. I had a Bluetick Coon hound that loved getting skunked. 6 times in 4 years. Geez Zach. Will ya just leave the black cats with racing strips alone already? Ya didn't learn the first 5 times?.....
    Last edited by Werloc; 08-30-2015 at 09:42 PM.
    Purple likes this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links