New Member & TW Owner
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By sponge

Thread: New Member & TW Owner

New Member & TW Owner

Hi All-

Just wanted to say how helpful this forum was while deciding whether or not to buy this bike. Just picked up my '15 TW200. Haven't ridden a bike in 20 years...perhaps a midlife crisis but who cares. I do a lot of fly fishing in NorCal and this seems like the perfect companion.

Any recommendations on maintenance items I should pay attention to as I break her in would be great.

Thanks guys and gals.

Welcome to the cruise ……

Other than the usual 500 to 600 mile oil changes all you need to do is to ride it. Re-fill with “dino” oil for the first couple of thousand miles, then you can decide to switch to synthetic if you want to.

During those first few changes expect some “swarf” in the filter – these things are like Kawasaki’s in that respect – but the oil filter is re-useable, so a quick flush and you’re ready to go again.

Just spend the first 1000 miles getting used to each other, and keep reading the forum as you go – plenty of time to draw up a shortlist of what you need, want, or would like to see on her ………
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Welcome to the forum!

Change the oil often during your break in period. Oil is cheap and your bike will reward you with many miles if you do this. For instance, change at 50miles, 150, 300, 500, 800, 1200 etc. Once you reach 2000, you can change to synthetic oil if you desire. The filter is washable and can be used again.
    Lots of good folks here, so ask any questions you may have and we'll try to help. You do have some riders in your area and folks who would help you if needed.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Hello and welcome!

A magnetic drain plug will help pickup stuff during breakin, I would put 1 in after first oil change.

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum!

What part of the bay area are you in? There is a good group of us nearby that have gotten together for some fun rides. Also, let us know if you need any help with any mods or maintenance that you want to do.

Brian
    Mel likes this.

Do your first oil change at 50 miles.....yes, that's right, FIFTY miles. When you clean the filter you will understand why. Then at 250, 500 and 1,000. By then you should see hardly any metal. Go to full synthetic at 2,000, then twice yearly or 2,000 from then on. It will last the rest of your life!

Oh, and get rid of the Death Wing if you do much dirt. I love taking my Fat Girl fishing!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Thanks all for the welcome. Appreciate everyone's tips, this is great. I live in the Walnut Creek area TW-Brian...keep me posted on any group outings.

Buy hand guards! One fall with no spare clutch lever and you will be buying them the next week anyway. It is hard to ride off road with no clutch! Super low maintenance bikes.

Congrats, I guarantee that this is a cheaper mid-life ride than the young blond alternative.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Sponosred Links