TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Got a 2005 TW200! A few questions.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  qwerty 
#1 ·
Bike is perfect condition and only 337 miles.

Only down side is bone stock, nice because I can do what I need I guess.

1. Still in Break in Period? How careful do I need to be up to 1000 miles?

2. Where do you keep registration, insurance info. Can someone send me a pic from under their seat. Behind my battery it is just open down to the tire (is that normal). I guess since seat is bolted on not the best place anyways. I saw some tubes on here, but does anyone have or seen a locking tube. I guess I am paranoid about people going through my stuff

3. I want to drive this to work also. I know I need a nice rack, but would also like an enclosed case (waterproof with lock) that is large enough for my paperwork etc. I really like the hard cases, but between the rack and case from the ones I saw Im gonna be at $500+. Anyone find a nice solution that is less costly?

4. Any suggestions for nice, larger footpegs?

5. I see a lot of people like the walmart seat cover (guess the stock is uncomfortable?) and the Jimbo shield?

6. What type of gas do you run? 87 or better to go premium?

Any other thoughts, upgrades, suggestions. Thanks for your time!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
This bike has a low compression engine and runs on regular gas. Premium is a waste of money and high octane actually has less power, worse mileage, and the myth that it is "better", (except for a high compression engine to reduce "pre ignition"} is not accurate. There are innumerable references to this all over the internet if you look for it. The only additive that may be worth it, is to put Berryman's B12 Chemtool or Seafoam (3X more expensive) or Chevron, 1 oz/gal of fuel every 3 or 4 tankfuls into the gas if you don't use it much, to keep the carb clean.

#3 ·
Bike is perfect condition and only 337 miles.

Only down side is bone stock, nice because I can do what I need I guess.

1. Still in Break in Period? How careful do I need to be up to 1000 miles?

Change the oil immediately. The oil in it is probably old. If it was my bike, I'd use a dino base stock motorcycle oil in 10W-40 that is marked "JASO MA" and is not marked "fuel saving", "energy conserving", or "low polluting". I'd look for "safe for wet clutches" on the bottle.

2. Where do you keep registration, insurance info. Can someone send me a pic from under their seat. Behind my battery it is just open down to the tire (is that normal). I guess since seat is bolted on not the best place anyways. I saw some tubes on here, but does anyone have or seen a locking tube. I guess I am paranoid about people going through my stuff

In my wallet behind my driver license.

3. I want to drive this to work also. I know I need a nice rack, but would also like an enclosed case (waterproof with lock) that is large enough for my paperwork etc. I really like the hard cases, but between the rack and case from the ones I saw Im gonna be at $500+. Anyone find a nice solution that is less costly?

Rubbermaid has plastic boxes that can be padlocked. Drill the base to fit on the stock cargo pad, put a piece of waterproof plywood between the pad and box and inside the box to distribute load, and use longer bolts to hold the box down. Under $25 total cost, including locks.

4. Any suggestions for nice, larger footpegs?
Obviously, you haven't looked very hard for this info.
D2moto

5. I see a lot of people like the walmart seat cover (guess the stock is uncomfortable?) and the Jimbo shield?
Have you ever heard of a "search function"?

6. What type of gas do you run? 87 or better to go premium?
(R+M)/2 = 87, without ethanol.

Any other thoughts, upgrades, suggestions. Thanks for your time!!!
Peter Pan Crunchy is the best peanut butter.

#4 ·
Change the oil immediately. The oil in it is probably old. If it was my bike, I'd use a dino base stock motorcycle oil in 10W-40 that is marked "JASO MA" and is not marked "fuel saving", "energy conserving", or "low polluting". I'd look for "safe for wet clutches" on the bottle.

In my wallet behind my driver license.

Rubbermaid has plastic boxes that can be padlocked. Drill the base to fit on the stock cargo pad, put a piece of waterproof plywood between the pad and box and inside the box to distribute load, and use longer bolts to hold the box down. Under $25 total cost, including locks.

Obviously, you haven't looked very hard for this info.
D2moto

Have you ever heard of a "search function"?

(R+M)/2 = 87, without ethanol.

Peter Pan Crunchy is the best peanut butter.

Big Dummy

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to each of my issue, be they silly or not, guess I was thinking out loud about my plans on part of this. Anyways, I do appreciate your responses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.