Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Rain Gear

Question Rain Gear

Frogg Toggs ?

Thoughts? Comments?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Good
    Cheap
    They melt!
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Both of us have a pair we got when the local K-Mart was having a going out of business sale. We haven't used them in the rain yet, but they seem rather thin and might ripped easily. We have tried them on but it doesn't seem like they would seal well around the cuff's and neck. We would use them in an emergency to "mostly" stay dry if we got caught out in the rain.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    That is exactly what they do. They work fairly to very well depending on fitment, then the pants wear out in the butt area and they promptly leak there giving you the damp crotch you put the wet weather gear on to avoid in the first place.

Better than nothing. And cheap enough to keep in a saddle bag.

And yes, they melt.
    Fred, littletommy, admiral and 1 others like this.

I generally avoid harsh comments, but rain gear is critical at times and can actually be dangerous when it fails, such as out in the middle of nowhere. In that situation, if hypothermia starts to develop you have no outside source of restoring body core temperature...which is a recipe for disaster. Frog Togs are junk. If you stay real close to home and don't mind getting wet...well maybe.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I totally agree with Borneo on this one. Borneo joined us on our winter hike in WV where the temp were sub zero. You don't embark on hikes like this unless you are prepared. It takes money and Borneo said something that is so true. "You can buy equipment to survive the elements but it you want it lighter and better you need to spend the big bucks". I don't cut costs on rain gear, It has to be quality and completely compact. You never know when it's going to rain, so you better have it with you. Go cheap on some things but when it comes to safety, save up and buy the best.
    littletommy likes this.

I've been happy with the Rev'it rain gear I've been using. Light, compact, and relatively inexpensive. Ridden in a lot of rain...so far, so good.

REV'IT! Cyclone H2O Rain Jacket - RevZilla

REV'IT! Acid H2O Rain Pants - RevZilla
    littletommy and admiral like this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

I agree with Borneo saying that frog togs are junk. If you want something to keep in your car or pack for a just in case moment that's one thing but for real use they will wear out quickly. As noted, they are thin, rip easily, wear out and melt. My bass boat's speed will wreck a set in no time from wind making the fabric flap, i have seen it happen a lot. A motorcycle would be just as bad if not worse.

I have spent a lot of time in rain gear when i use to tournament bass fish and also when hiking and in my experience quality rain gear is a must if you plan on spending time in the elements. For fishing the best rain gear i have used would be Cabelas Guidewear. Expensive but worth every penny, I have had mine for over a decade and never once have i gotten wet, not really suitable for a bike tho. Same with my hiking gear in regards to the bike, i have a set of REI branded gore-tex that packable and great for hiking.

For the bike my Rev-it sand 2 set has removable liners that work quite well. While they are not gore-tex( which i prefer) they do a great job and i have been in some pretty big rains in them and stayed dry. If i was looking for something to throw in the bag the ones Rhodetrip mentioned would be where i would look. Personally since i wear riding gear anyway i prefer what i have with the liners. If I was going on an extended journey tho i would consider upgrading to a gore-tex set. Rev-it, Aerostitch and Klim make some really nice ones with gore-tex linings. I most likely would go rev-it since they make it in a short leg that fits me better or an aerostitch one piece suit.
    littletommy and admiral like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I really appreciate all the advice on the rain gear. I've looked up everything you guys have mentioned. The problem I am having is, in order to get some that will fit my 54ish inch waist, the legs end up being 36 inches long and I need around 32. Any other suggestions for a fat boy? I guess I could have them taken up a few inches. ??
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Call Aerostitch. They do custom fit for their stuff all the time. See if they will do a pair of their Ultralight Rain Pants for you. Expect to pay more than the $87 that a standard size costs, but I expect they might make you a pair for a reasonable price.
    littletommy likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links