thinking about getting my first tdub but....
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By joeband
  • 3 Post By surfrat

Thread: thinking about getting my first tdub but....

thinking about getting my first tdub but....

so ive loved the tw200 since i was a kid but never got one and now im thinking is the time i sold my cafe racer and am looking at a 96 t dub heres my only hangup im a big guy 250lbs dont need to go fast its going to be a commuter/trail bike but am i going to bottom out ? will it haul me big ass around without blowing up ?

You won't blow it up but might need stronger springs. You can get strongers springs here and lots of other good stuff here Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle
    Jon
    2007 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content
    Tusk D Flex Handguards, ProTaper Pillow Top grips, Yamaha crossbar pad

2002 Yamaha TTR-125
    1978 Honda XL125

I put the Red rear spring on and the 40% stiffer fork springs kit on. You will just go uphill slower then the 150#er's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

hey surfrat,

can't speak for myself, but i've seen some big boys ride tdubs and be plenty happy.
    unless you are trying to treat it like a motocross bike, you should be good with it.

joe band
    littletommy likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If one will haul me, it will haul you. No prob bro, go for it.

Largest recorded TW rider was 685 lbs. here on the forum by the way...

O and welcome to the forum!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I guess it depends on your commute and what you will expect from the motorcycle. How fast do you need to go on your way to work? The TW won't comfortably (engine wise) maintain over 55 mph with stock gearing, and may have trouble holding fifth gear up some steeper roads or into strong headwinds with your weight. It also depends on your location's geography (mostly flat highways, or very hilly?). If you have an in-town commute, it'll do fine. My brutally honest answer is that the TW won't be the best choice for you if you want to be able to do 65 on the highway on your way to work. If you can/will take back roads that aren't super steep, and keep it to 50 or 55, then no problem. The TW can be a really fun little tractor when it's in its element. Of course I know budget is a factor, so that does have a lot to do with it. If you don't get a TW, you're welcome to still come hang out on the forum and show us whatever you decide to get instead.
    Last edited by kj7687; 09-13-2015 at 03:02 AM.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

rbm
    Hello and welcome! The TW will carry you just fine, KJ summed it up pretty well^^.

thanks guys ive already got a list of parts ready to buy from procycyles i live in a very flat very sandy trailed beach community where the speed limit is ridiculously low and never really have to get on a highway so speed isnt an issue plus theres trails almost all the way to work which is what ive been missing since i sold my last dirtbike, im going to pick it up this week thanks for all the responses this is a great forum
    littletommy, Gulfrider and joeband like this.

rbm
    Sounds like the TW will be perfect for your needs!

Sponosred Links