TW Stock Tires, please explain.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: TW Stock Tires, please explain.

TW Stock Tires, please explain.

Hi,

I'm new to the TW200. I'm interested in getting one. My question is, what exactly do those big tires do for me? I've not seen a dual-sport bike with tires like these before. Thanks for the help.

More rubber as in wider tires equals a more stable ride which is much better off road. Traction is the main attraction with the TW and I have both a TW 200 and an XT225 that has the skinny standard type of off road tires. The XT rides much smoother on pavement and with the skinny tires it is faster and a bit more agile but when I get off road on the XT I always notice how it lacks the traction when the going gets rough.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

HA. I'm in Charleston, SC. I've been an ATV rider all my life. I'm interested in the TW200 but still kind of nervous to switch to a motorcycle because of a fear of crashing or having the bike slip on some gravel or rocks and laying me down. My thought was that the bigger tires would have more traction whether on the road or on the trail. My initial plan was to ride this bike to and from work half the time and back on the trails some too. I thought this bike would be a good intro bike for me. Thoughts?
    Peterb likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Go into the photos and videos thread and watch a few videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-jk View Post
    HA. I'm in Charleston, SC. I've been an ATV rider all my life. I'm interested in the TW200 but still kind of nervous to switch to a motorcycle because of a fear of crashing or having the bike slip on some gravel or rocks and laying me down. My thought was that the bigger tires would have more traction whether on the road or on the trail. My initial plan was to ride this bike to and from work half the time and back on the trails some too. I thought this bike would be a good intro bike for me. Thoughts?
    You are thinking exactly right. The TW is probably one of the best dual purpose bikes around because of those big fat tires. In full stock they ride very well on the road and better than almost all the other dual sports off the roads and in rough terrain. Keep in mind though they are not fast bikes and don't have the power most guys would like either on the road or in the trails. Top speed is right around 60-65 miles per hour unless going down hill with a tail wind. They do much better keeping them at around 50-55 MPH. Off the road they are great because of excellent traction but you are right and could certainly get tossed on your face. You only have two wheels so balance and your own riding ability determines how well you do. Because they have a low seat height they are much easier to learn on and lots of shorter people love them and a good majority of the guys who love the TW the most are seniors 50 years old and older. I like to say you won't be winning any races on a TW but you should reach the finish line. Great beginners motorcycles and once you get old enough to have the need for speed out of your system the TW is a perfect fit.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thanks for the info. I don't care about speed. 55 is fast enough for me on two wheels!

The TW is a slow bike. Because of this using momentum or squirting over or up with throttle is out of the question. The big fat rear tire is an aid to the situation as you can get great traction going slow (which is your only real choice) up obstacles, loose ground, etc. Combine this with the low seat height and low gearing and you can slowly negotiate some pretty gnarly terrain.

When I first got the TW I almost looped it a couple times because rather than slipping, the rear tire grabbed unexpectedly going up some loose hills. I learned to go easy with the throttle inspite of the low power after this as the rear is not apt to spin.

I switched the more aggressive knobby tires to the more street oriented Bridgestones. Much better on the street and not bad in the dirt unless deep sand or mud. These bike are loads of fun and bullet proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-jk View Post
    I've been an ATV rider all my life. I'm interested in the TW200 but still kind of nervous to switch to a motorcycle because of a fear of crashing or having the bike slip on some gravel or rocks and laying me down. My thought was that the bigger tires would have more traction whether on the road or on the trail. My initial plan was to ride this bike to and from work half the time and back on the trails some too. I thought this bike would be a good intro bike for me. Thoughts?
    I started with ATVs too. I've had a Kodiak 450 for 4 years. But I wanted a dual sport bike for more active off-road riding as well as have on-road convenience. The TW 200 I got in June has been the perfect ride for me. I'm a pretty conservative rider, and even with relatively little experience on a motorcycle I'm finding the TW goes just about everywhere the quad goes (and more in some cases). It's forgiving and fun off-road, and great on-road too at reasonable speeds. I highly recommend it!
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

I did a couple of face plants off my Polaris Sportsman 500 and came real close to rolling my Polaris RZR so it is not like you can't get hurt on an ATV or side by side. As long as you motor along at speeds to match your abilities and don't get too stupid on or off the roads the TW should be a great addition to your stable. Here in NY unless you have your own property or belong to a hunting club the ATVs are pretty much outlawed. A road legal dual sport bike is way more useful and twice as much fun. Even if I get caught riding where I'm not supposed to be the fact it is licensed and insured is a big advantage over getting your quad impounded.

GaryL
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links