six wheels are better than zero, i suppose
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: six wheels are better than zero, i suppose

six wheels are better than zero, i suppose

The chain on my bike broke today. Yay! And 5 points to Gryffindor for retaining all my leg flesh in the process.

The bike only has ~4000 miles on it, and while I've never had a bike before with a chain final drive, that seems like an awfully short lifespan. Is that common?

I ordered a 15/49 sprocket setup, hopefully that will turn out well as I ride mostly on the street. It seems pretty torquey down low with the stock ratio, so hopefully it won't be too bad now.

So with my other bike being stolen a few weeks ago, and the TW temporarily out of commision, I am resigned to driving my truck for a little while ):
    Turtle Chaser likes this.

You have to clean and oil the chain -- I do it every 300 to 400 miles -- a friend does it every 800 but I think that is to long -- you must have done it a little bit because a zero care chain usually breaks at 2000 miles.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Ah, i see. I usually lube it every few hundred miles, but who knows if the previous owner ever did it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It does seem like it went out a little prematurely. Are you going to go with a O-ring or X-ring chain? Keep us posted in that sprocket combo please. I'm interested in that one.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I would say this is not common on a motorcycle with the power of a TW with normal maintenance and adjustment regardless of the type of chain (x/o-ring or standard). Do you believe it was purely a sucky chain or do you think you may have contributed to this happening? There wasn't some type of debris which caught in the chain causing this was there?
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

How about 3 wheels? Wonder where would Mike install the ScottOiler.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    How about 3 wheels? Wonder where would Mike install the ScottOiler.
    Always wondered where you could carry a spare on a motorcycle.
    Fred likes this.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I would say this is not common on a motorcycle with the power of a TW with normal maintenance and adjustment regardless of the type of chain (x/o-ring or standard). Do you believe it was purely a sucky chain or do you think you may have contributed to this happening? There wasn't some type of debris which caught in the chain causing this was there?
    I was riding on the street, so there were no sticks or rocks or anything to find their way in there. As to having a sucky chain-maybe? when I bought the bike in June it had ~2200 miles in six years, so there was probably a lot of just sitting there going on (maybe in the elements?). I have no basis of comparison to tell whether the wear is normal or not, but I had to adjust the slack in the chain twice in about 1800 miles. I bought an O-ring chain, so hopefully that one will wear quite a bit slower.

It should last longer, but you still have to maintain it.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by methamphetasaur View Post

I ordered a 15/49 sprocket setup, hopefully that will turn out well as I ride mostly on the street.

15/49 may be perfect for the street. I've been running 15/50 a long time and like it. If I can ever wear out my O ring chain I will try 15/49. If the bike is running strong 15/49 should be fun, especially on the open road .

best regards, MAC
    Last edited by Turtle Chaser; 09-17-2015 at 08:17 PM.
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links