Rt. 66 East-to-West shoutout.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Howdy.

Purple and I will be shipping our T-dubs to Chicago, then flying out there and taking Route 66 from Chicago back to Cali, commencing on or about May 16.

Oh, and this is our honeymoon. No cushy cakewalk being waited on hand and foot at some Honolulu resort. Not even motel touring on a Goldwing with a coffeemaker and onboard microwave, but tent camping with ants and skeeters on TW200's for 2,400 miles over 15 days (Eat yer heart out, guys. This was HER choice).

Anyway, we'd like to extend an open invitation to any members living along The Route to use our passing through as an excuse to get in some riding. Most days we'll be covering at least 150 miles, (some days nearly 3 times that) but if your free time and schedule jive with ours, feel free. We hope to update nightly or bi-nightly via this site as we go.

We do have one detail as yet left unnattended. We're still searching for a warehouse or freight outfit relatively near O'hare which will both receive our palletized, partially- dissassembled bikes and allow us the space and an hour or two to slap the wheels and handlebars back on them and top off the oil and fuel. The pallet and bikes weigh over 600 punds, so offloading them at a private residence probably isn't an option. Any thoughts?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I think this sounds like a great trip! How much research have you done about old 66? I know a lot of it has been paved over for new freeways. The longest stretch I found was in northern Arizona on the south side of the Grand Canyon.

I've seen ads for shippers in CycleTrader.com. Might be worth a look.

For sure post those tentative dates so all can contemplate their schedules. Camp in my yard and dinner is free. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Peruano, hangin' with you is definitely near top of the list. Thanks again for the kind offer. I suffer from "lost puppy syndrome", a condition which leads me to things like spending 3 days at The World's Biggest Ball of String and the like, talking to old men in rocking chairs, etc. Hopefully Purple can help me keep this tendency in check and we can maintain at least some semblence of a scedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobopoet View Post
    I've seen ads for shippers in CycleTrader.com. Might be worth a look.

I posted on this few months ago. Some of these bike shippers charge up to $800 per bike to Chicago from here. Granted, they have plush trailers and since they haul only bikes, they probably do a nice job. If I had the need to ship my Concours or a Goldwing that would probaby be the way to go. Two Tw's barely take up the space of one road bike and combined weigh less than one road pig.

We're shipping ours as freight for less than 1/4 of that. Both bike will be side-by-side on a pallet with the wheels, front fenders and handlebars removed. This is the way Yamaha ships new TW's to the dealer.

The problem is so far none of the warehousing outfits we've contacted are willing to allow us to assemble our bikes on their premises for liability reasons. I'm sure we'll find one who will eventually, but this was an unforseen snag in the program. Just figgered some of you might have some thoughts on the subject we hadn't considered.

Right now I'm blowing her bike apart, servicing the bearings, brakes, repainting parts and installing racks, taller bars, o-ring chain, new sprockets and giving it a purple urban camo facelift. Personally I'm pretty disappointed with the Clarke tank we ordered, but we waited too long to return it and at least it solves the fuel issue.

My bike needs only the stock kickstand reinstalled, and the Bighorn and 55T swapped for stockers. I molest every bike I've ever owned, but as I was telling Ronnydog the other day is the first project in a long time that does EVERYTHING I built it to do EXACTLY as planned.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the road, and we're soliciting ideas for possible weird sidetrips. Weirder the better.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Maybe a Tdubber in the Chicago area can receive your "freight" and truck or trailer it to his or her house where you can unpack and reassemble the bikes.

Maybe a Tdubber in the Chicago area works in a family business where the "freight" can be delivered and you can unpack and reassemble there.

Might be worth renting a car or taking a taxi to a shipping destination outside Chicago where a Tdubber can recieve your "freight" and provide a work area.

Something like that would be a dandy wedding gift, but if it was my honeymoon I'd throw in a nice lunch in exchange.

Excellent.

The Resident Budget Analyst of the Lizrdbrth Household has authorized funds to double said TDubber's weight in Big Macs should said TDubber exist.

We'd kinda like to stay reasonably close to Chicago as it's one of our goals as 66 Geeks to start at the start. But the RBALH has also informs me that I'd better get this handled post haste.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I don't think Chicagoites care much for Big Macs. Sicilian pizza might do the trick.

Sounds Like a Great Trip!

Oklahoma has about 432 miles of Rte. 66. All fun things to see and do,and a pretty good road. I'm 27 miles South of Chandler OK. off "66" . In Shawnee, OK. Need a Shower, Meal, or we have a Yamaha Dealer here in town too. Check out SEABA Station Motorcycle muesem in Warwick OK. Right on Rte. 66.
    Randy Myers

Suzuki RL250 Trials-Sold-Miss this one....

'07 TW200-Sold

'02 BMW R1150R-sold

'00 KLR 650-sold

'06 Honda Big Ruckus-Sold

"08 Honda Ruckus

"13 CRF250L

Shawnee,OK.

I live a couple of miles from Route 66, but about 25 miles from the start of it. My mom is even closer in Oak Park, about 10-miles away from the start ad one mile away from the Chicago city limits. I can ask her if she wouldn't mind a large crate sitting in her garage for a few days. I'd have them sent to me, but I have no place to store them. Let me know if this is something you would consider, and in the meantime, I'll see if my mom is okay with it, and I'll make room in her garage for them.

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

I toldja Sicilian pizza would do the trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links