Touring with the TW -how feasible?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Touring with the TW -how feasible?

Touring with the TW -how feasible?

Okay...right now I'm just kicking ideas around; but that's always how these things start, hey?

Being on spotty layoff this summer, I got a chance to do some touring with my "big bike" - which has its own issues but which DID get me to figure out packing. I now have it down - a week's worth of gear, in one duffle with an inner frame and hooks on the exterior to tie down. Set it on the luggage rack of my Honda; two ratchet-straps, routed scientifically, and I'm off and rolling.

Just for the halibut, I'm considering a tour or series of tours on the TW. Now I know Purple has done this; but she's going in a convoy. I'm wondering more generally if it's feasible.

By "feasible" I mean, practical - given speed limits and traffic.

Let me give you an example. I had to move one of my trucks 120 miles. It seemed the smart plan and fun, to load the TW in it and then ride the TW back.

Which I proceeded to do. Over a mountain pass.

I found that traffic, today, has no tolerance for slower-moving vehicles. I was running at about 55 mph, wide-open...too fast, really; the mirrors were buzzing. Still getting passed and getting furious middle fingers.

AND...I found...FUEL use for that little 50-mile run over Mullan Pass...was INCREDIBLE. I generally average about 80 mpg. I was getting less than 50 that day. With a 1.5-gallon tank, that's not a lot of wiggle room.

My big Honda four gets me 55 mpg. So...I was using MORE gas, and putting a lot of wear and stress on the engine...to travel SLOWER.

Is this gonna be commonplace? Are there enough relaxed byways in the country to take me, Colorado or Canada or the Pacific Ocean?

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    TWilight likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Heck yes it's feasible. I just rode from Auburn, Indiana to James Bay Quebec and back. Well over 3,000 miles.

Attachment 22146

There are gravel roads and little used two lane asphalt roads literally lacing this whole country. Use paper maps, plan your route carefully. Disregard the fuel consumption. That happens when you are running hard. Carry some gas, and most of all have fun. If you compare it to travelling on a big bike you won't like it. Think of it as an adventure and you won't want to travel any other way.
    Last edited by Borneo; 09-21-2015 at 08:17 PM.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ginamarie, aka PPE, just rode the whole derned country, up, down, over and back. That there would be the definition of feasible in my book.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "convoy". Gina did it alone.

And "Purple" is our resident good guy Britt. Distinct from Ginamarie (probably in a great many ways). I've met Ginamarie and she's one of my favorite lassies. I want to meet Purple, and figure one day I will, because he seems one hell of a great chap.
    Last edited by Borneo; 09-21-2015 at 07:51 PM.
    TWilight likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

FYI, I'm 220 pounds and even with that load you see in the picture I can run 65 if I have too with a totally stock bike. I can't explain it, but I can do it.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

i did the west coast, washington to tijuana, logging in at 2000 miles. i could carry eveything i needed on my bike.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...oast-ride.html
    Last edited by joeband; 09-21-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    TWilight and GTG like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Pack light, don't be in a hurry. Get a custom saddle.
    TWilight and Hoot Gibson like this.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    i did the west coast, washington to tijuana, logging in at 2000 miles. i could carry eveything i needed on my bike.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...oast-ride.html
    Awesome ride Joe! I didn't know you'd done that...I'm over there reading it now.
    Last edited by Borneo; 09-21-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    TWilight likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I rode my TW from NY to TX and back to NY. Definitely possible. Mount motorcycle dedicated bags though as you'll see bungee cording a bunch of crap together is not efficient. Make sure the clutch return spring is fitted on correctly too.
    Borneo and TWilight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by docjekyll2002 View Post
    I rode my TW from NY to TX and back to NY. Definitely possible. Mount motorcycle dedicated bags though as you'll see bungee cording a bunch of crap together is not efficient. Make sure the clutch return spring is fitted on correctly too.
    Hoot? You gonna weigh in on this? Doc is dissing your "village tinker" (sorry Rick) packing method.
    TWilight and Hoot Gibson like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links